Fire in the Woods

Fire in the Woods

A Story by Mike
"

Sequel to my previous short story, "Four Birds".

"

I sleep long nights, wake to unsatisfying mornings, still lost. The phoenix continues it's pathetic descent, adamantly refusing to neither ignite nor die. I grow disgusted looking at it.


I still hear the occasional call of the sparrow, but it has flown far away from me - its voice seems silly and unhelpful in my plight.


My hawk, my old companion... I rarely see her and when I do, I am the brunt of attack and must flee her talons.


The raven, stoic and steadfast in her desire to help me, sits atop a branch, staring. She tries to help and does so in small ways, but the journey to salvation lies beyond her capacity to lead me through and her heart sinks when I stumble.


This plight is wearisome and I have had enough. I struggle to my feet and begin the arduous task of gathering materials for a fire. If I'm going to be lost in these woods, I will do so on my terms. As I build a pyramid of roaring comfort, I look toward the raven and she is smiling, though her gaze is not on me... what is she looking at? I follow her sight and my eyes fall upon the phoenix I left on the ground. Her feathers seemed brighter, her eyes seem keener.


I warm myself by the fire and grow to find myself looking at the forest I had wound up lost in and for the first time, basking in a sense of ease.


Perhaps my journey to find the way out had always been the wrong one. Perhaps I had always been better suited to find my path within the winding trees and delicate balances of moss and thorns. Perhaps, this was where I belonged.... perhaps this was home. The phoenix chirped.

© 2012 Mike


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 7, 2012
Last Updated on September 7, 2012

Author

Mike
Mike

Hornell, NY



About
A computer guy in western NY state that has a love for the written word. more..

Writing
Four Birds Four Birds

A Story by Mike