The Dragonfly

The Dragonfly

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

Part of the #BePositiveWriteNow project

"

There was once a Firefly who lived in a valley of bright light bulbs, and within each light bulb, was a beautiful Butterfly. 


During each day there was relative calm, each Butterfly at peace. But at night, the valley transformed. Millions of moths descended, each fluttering to their preferred bulb. The Butterflies, now and then, would allow a moth to enter, to be together.



One night, as the valley filled with its sea of moths, the Firefly spotted an unusually bright bulb. Being more experienced than most moths, the Firefly was cautious. He knew that if it got too bright, it could shatter, and he didn't want to be caught by broken shards of glass. So instead, he waited till dawn to approach the bulb when the lights dimmed, and the moths were asleep.



Inside this bulb was a small dark beautifully delicate creature, one unlike he had ever seen.


"You’re not a moth", she said, as he approached, "You’re different ".


"I'm a Firefly.  But you’re not a Butterfly; you’re different ", the Firefly said, curiously.


"I'm a Dragonfly", she said, with a quick whirr of her wings.



From then on, the two different creatures met at dawn to share their stories. Through time they grew close, separated only by a sliver of glass. They could see the other was different, but none of the moths did.



One night, the Firefly was early, and as he happily zipped amid the other bulbs, he noticed the Dragonfly's bulb was unusually dim from a distance. His alarm grew as he drew nearer. The incandescent lamp was dark due to the volume of moths around it. Flying in as near as he could he caught glimpses of the Dragonfly's face, etched in sadness.



"I'm here!” shouted the Firefly, his voice barely audible above the flutter of moth wings. 


She saw him and smiled, and for a moment, the sadness left her face. Her Firefly was there.


More and more moths covered the bulb, each hitting it and clawing at it, wanting a piece.


"No! You'll damage it!" he yelled angrily.


He could no longer see the light of the light bulb. And was so bogged down by moths, he was no longer flying, but crawling on the ground trying to fight through them. He finally collapsed in a heap at the bottom of the Dragonfly's light bulb, exhausted. 



As the sun rose the next day, the Firefly awoke to sheer silence around. Quickly he flew up to see the Dragonfly, but alas, she was no longer there. The moths had chipped away at her bulb so much, it had broken, and the Dragonfly had vanished.



The Firefly stood on top of the broken bulb that had once shone so bright, his heart heavy, his eyes tearful. He missed the sound of the Dragonfly's wings. Her voice. Her bright light.



And there, in the centre of the bulb, was a message, written in the dust - "Don't be sad my Firefly, I'm free".

© 2023 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on September 18, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2023
Tags: positive, BePositiveWriteNow, nature, dragonfly, instagram, environmental

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing