The Squirrel

The Squirrel

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

Part of the #BePositveWriteNow project

"

Bursting through the foliage, the red Squirrel grabbed acorns and nuts without pause.  Leaping high up into the imposing Chestnut Trees, the Squirrel pranced along the thin bare branches with the ease of a miniature acrobat.


 


One tree, in particular, caught the Squirrel's eye.  Contorted and twisted by a thunderstorm long ago, the branches drooped like long fingers over the carcass of another tree, stretched out on the forest floor on a bed of browning bracken. The fingertips were hovering above a large hollow in the side of the trunk, and it was this the wily Squirrel was attracted to.  Dipping her head into the dark crevice, what she saw made her eyes bulge with delight - a bumper crop of acorns and chestnuts had fallen and gathered here; a ready-made store. Collecting as much as she could, filling her mouth and her tiny paws to bursting point, she raided the tree's little room.


 


All of a sudden a dreadful clattering made her senses heighten.  The sound of snapped twigs and voices tickled the slight quivering hairs inside her ears - dog walking humans.


 


Dancing out the hole, she became overpowered by the canines scent.  Indeed, she had no sooner started to move before the dog was almost upon her.  Splashing through the pool of autumn leaves, the Hound was bearing down on her with the accuracy of a ballistic missile with teeth.  


 


With nuts in hand, she began to run steadily between the trees, zipping this way then that, keen to lose the Hound. But the hunter was on her trail, and, with the nuts slowing her down, was gaining with every bound.  The fear was rising within her as she started to drop the precious nuts, leaving a stream of edible delights in her wake.  But her speed increased as a result.  Desperately not wanting to waste any more food, she attempted to hold on for as long as she could, but the Hound's frenzied growls were so furious she dropped all but the nuts in her mouth.  As a result, she scampered up into the heaven of the trees to safety.


 


The bark of the Hound grew more distant as the setting Sun splashed its lazy rays over the forest. The Squirrel looked down below to the dropped nuts and stores she had wasted.  But as she watched, she spied a Rabbit grabbing some acorns, witnessed a dashing Woodpecker fly off with a conifer cone, and observed a fellow Squirrel snag some fallen berries.  The Squirrel realised that no food was wasted and that she had helped others survive - and saved herself - by having less. 

© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on February 19, 2019
Tags: squirrel, nature, positive, instagram, animals, environmental

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing