The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

part of the #BePositiveWriteNow project

"

To Man, the road is but a few strides over asphalt, but to the Hedgehog, it represents a dangerous challenge.  Approaching with a careful step, the Hedgehog winced with worry as cars, vans, trucks and all things machine powered, streaked passed at a life-ending pace.




The Hedgehog tread alongside the Road looking for the opportunity that would change her life.  She could spy friends and family over the other side who had long crossed safely.


 


Patiently waiting, the Hedgehog spied a gap and bravely stepped forward.  Instantly an enormous coach furiously roared passed, mere inches away from her tiny black nose.  The force of the vehicle pushed the Hedgehog backward, head over heels like a tumbleweed with spines.  Landing in the roadside bushes, she dusted herself down and continued onward.


 


As she slowly motored forward, she saw the remnants of those not so fortunate in their crossing attempts.  A lonely fox.  A fellow hedgehog.  An unfortunate owl.


 


“Murder”, she thought to herself.


 


Realising that crossing the busy Road wouldn’t happen quickly, she continued walking alongside it, watching the all-seeing Moon leap up and slide slowly down many times.  She grew older, wearier - wiser.


 


She realised that the mechanical monsters stayed motionless whenever they approached a light that was like the colour of her ladybird friends.  Therefore, at the next traffic crossing, she decided to try again.


 


Negotiating the first vehicle, she roamed under it as fast as she could.  The hissing of the engine above scared her, and the noise of dripping liquid filled her miniscule ears.  The machine was as still as a tree.  So she decided to push herself forward towards the other mechanical beast that was parked alongside.  A massive burst of engine activity wrecked the afternoon calm as the cars were on the move once more.  She was stuck between the lanes, the situation looked bleak for the small frightened mammal.  However, she noticed something in the ground that amazed her.  Al the cars at the crossing appeared to follow a similar path and the tyres were leaving black scorch marks on the asphalt, allowing her to read where the vehicles would be.


 


Taking a deep breath, she launched herself forward and walked under the next shining static piece of metal.  It roared off as soon as she was directly underneath.  Her tiny heart was throbbing like a Lilliputian’s drum, she stayed perfectly still, feeling both vulnerable and brave.  Eventually, a car came to a halt, and she put her nose firmly ahead and strolled over the black scorch marks and safely out of the way of the raging beast.


 


As she stopped and sighed to herself in delight, her family and friends descended upon with joy.  Unbeknownst to her, they had followed her on her journey along the long road and had been there in all her attempts.


 


As she mingled with them again, she gave the Road one last look.  She had overcome it.  Beaten it.  She had shown that it doesn’t matter how long it takes or how risky and impossible it feels if you keep trying, you can succeed. 

© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on October 18, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2019
Tags: hedgehog, nature, positive, environmental, belief

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing