The Wolf

The Wolf

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

Part of the #BePositiveWriteNow project

"
The icy cold wind blasted the thick coat of the Wolf, the sharp, experienced eyes not reacting in the slightest. Standing as still as can be, her ears pricked to such a tense level she could hear the smallest twig crack. 

There was a hunter - she could smell him. 

She was down-wind of him, and although she could tell he was inexperienced, he was dangerous nonetheless. A few years ago, she would have put substantial miles between herself and the hunter easily. But not now, because she wasn't alone. Standing beside her, nose in the air, was her Cub. 

Energetic and unruly, the Wolf could no longer leave in the face of danger because her Cub needed to be fed, and this rugged terrain provided the best chance of food for many miles. The empty growling void in her offspring's stomach was her priority. The Wolf nudges the Cub and beckons her to follow. The mountainside with its shimmering white patches of melting snow, creating rivers of tinkling springs amidst the jagged boulders, we're details that the Wolf ignored because one scent filled her nose - a Dog. Running as fast as she could with her Cub gamely keeping up, the Wolf abruptly stopped in her tracks. Directly in front of them was a black Alsatian, low growls filling its throat, sharp yellow teeth filling its mouth. It had apparently been underfed, the lean body hinting at ribs, a clear testament to this. This made the Wolf more desirable in the Dog's eyes.

The Dog took a few strides towards the petrified Cub before the Wolf sprang forward with all the furore of an angry parent. The Dog was overwhelmed by the Wolf's protective anger, and its nape was squarely bitten as a result. The force and surprise of the Wolf's ferocity scared the Dog into retreat, and it backed away whimpering, lying beneath a tree licking its wounds. Feeling superior and victorious, the Wolf and Cub took off immediately. A dog is one thing, but Humans with guns is another matter entirely. The Cub ran as close to the Wolf as possible, the fear of the unknown deep within her. Upon leaving a thicket of trees, they were greeted by the frozen river that swung lazily around them. This was the only way through - the only way to safety. 

Taking the lead as always, the Wolf confidently stepped onto the ice and started to pad over it, her greying paws making thumping sounds with each step. A crack that echoed in the surrounding trees filled her ears as the ice beneath her gave way, and she clutched in desperation at the remaining ice with her front paws as her rear legs floundered in the fast-moving river below. Panic set in. If she let go, she would be dragged down, and death would turn from shadow to companion. Scrabbling desperately, the wolf's claws made deep grooves in the ice, but could not hold on. She started to slip away. The river's current was just too strong for her. Suddenly branches and twigs clattered noisily in front of her. Her Cub, who had stood by and watched, had figured out a way. She was light enough to not go through the ice and knew how to get the Wolf out. 

Using the dry wood for better grip, the Wolf hauled herself out and carefully reached the safety of the riverside. Shaking her coat dry, she licked the nose of her intelligent, innocent Cub. The Wolf was a proud, independent animal, and although she had protected the Cub all its young life, she knew the Cub had also saved her, through her older years.

© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
Added on October 22, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2019
Tags: Nature, Wolf, environment, animals, positive

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing