The Cloud

The Cloud

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

Part of the #BePositiveWriteNow collection

"
Under a bright cerulean blue sky, white cauliflower clouds, sporadically spaced out, are connected to the ground by trees that grow mighty enough to reach them. These strong trees received all the rainwater nourishment they needed, while directly feeding the planet, which kept the world going. 

The Cumulus was the most essential piece of Earth's equation. But not all clouds were attached to trees. 

A solitary Cloud floated above the same patch of fields every day in a relentlessly repetitive routine. In the most unforgiving of tasks, the Cloud provided the grounds with rain to help them grow, done with the delicacy and grace befitting all clouds, but received nothing but hardship for her troubles as the fields were harsh and aggressive (very little grew in this type of soil), wanting more and more rain. The Cloud always maintained a pleasant and dignified manner, but inside, the Cloud felt sad and somewhat unfulfilled. All the Cloud's friends and companions were all settled to Tall Trees, and she felt frustrated at being in the one place every day, and by not finding any Tall Tree of her own. She looked to the Tall Pine Forest with envy. After yet another day filled with rude remarks, the Cloud floated silently away from her field, her eyes cast down. 

When she looks up, she realises she is halfway around the world. Feeling lost and a little scared, the Cloud floats over mountains in the moonlight, snow-covered fields, sun-drenched lakes and landscapes alien to her eyes. Mingling with other single clouds over the dolphin-filled oceans, the feeling of fear had long subsided as she kept looking to the next horizon. 

Eventually, she finds her old field again. Her friends, attached to the trees in the Tall Pine Forest, are jealous. The freedom she had, the sights she could see, the oceanic experiences they could never have. 

At the corner of the forest, adjacent to the Cloud's field, stood a Tall young Pine with the most complex of branches reaching up into the sky. Floating over, the Cloud hovered just above it. The Tree stretched up in eagerness to connect, as the Cloud's friends watched on. But the Cloud, now more experienced, brushed the branch lightly away and floated off towards the far off horizon. 

The Cloud realised that she didn't need a tree to enjoy life and to be happy. Happiness came from within her cumulustic heart, and with so many different landscapes to see, there was no field big enough to contain her. The world was her field, and she was going to see it.

© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on October 24, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2019
Tags: Clouds, nature, positive, short story

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing