Morning Peaks

Morning Peaks

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

A woman goes through her preparation to climb a goading mountain. Part of the #BePositiveWriteNow First Sentence project

"

“Rise and shine, I love this morning,” I muttered to myself on the balcony deep in the shadow of the mountains, majestically towering overhead. “Because this is the morning I go up there.”


My eyes cast upwards towards the peaks; the sun was already showing a little shoulder on its way to its regular place in the sky.  It threw shadows around in a kaleidoscope of grey giving the landscape a dimension of uncertainty.  Who knew what was shadow and what was a dark, dangerous hole?  I didn’t, but that wasn’t putting me off.


 

I went through my usual routine.  Yoga to loosen the limbs, stretch the muscles, ease my tension and centre my focus.  Although I did this every day, this morning’s routine was even more critical. Also as I lay out on my yoga mat feeling the groove, I was aware of the mountain watching me through the window and almost antagonising me.  It felt like it too was going through preparations to receive me. 


 

I added the last few pieces to my backpack, ensuring everything was zipped and secure, ropes tied neatly, nothing left behind.  I glanced at the mountain.  A jagged slash across the mountain-face gave the impression it was laughing with a crazed smile.  Was it laughing at me?  Did it see my pack and think it was futile?  I slung it over my shoulder in cool confidence, breathed deeply, then went downstairs to eat.



I ate in silence.  There were others there, mingling about, but this was this morning.  I was in no mood to be jaunty or mix metaphors with people.  I was not going to lose my focus.



I finished the oatmeal and fruit and washed my bowl at the sink.  As I stood there, I was aware of the shadow of the mountains, dwarfing the building, making my presence almost insignificant, like I was nothing.

 


Picking my things up, I headed outside.  It was a chilly windless morning, the kind you breathe in and know anything is possible.  I felt like I could hear anything for miles around, such was the stillness.  Almost as if the world was waiting with bated breath.

 


I walked up to the base of the mountain, adjusted the straps on my backpack, tightened my gloves, and looked ahead.  I took the last gulp of my coffee - the necessary final preparation, and made the first step towards Woman v Mountain.  And I knew who was going to win. 


 


 

© 2023 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow project First Sentence

The first sentence of each story is written by a random instagrammer. To promote positivity and creativity within social media.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on November 7, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2023
Tags: mountain, morning, positive, nature, woman, climbing

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing