Just How Frightened Are You?

Just How Frightened Are You?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

February 5, 2014: Just How Frightened Are You? Please "Share" this new Precious Prodigal post! http://bit.ly/1ftbySf

"
Joshua 1:6 “Be strong and of a good courage
Moses had died, and Joshua was charged with leading the Israelites into the Promised Land. It might have been a land flowing with milk and honey, but it also teemed with enemies, battles, and challenges that were going to be new and frightening at best and terrifying at worst.
Life can be scary, can’t it? Under the best of circumstances, there are things we need to be courageous about. And when we’ve been in the wilderness for a while, we can find ourselves consistently in a state of worry and fear. Having someone we love acting out in destructive ways or having constant tension in the home complicates our waking hours, interrupts our sleep, and steals our joy.
The pain and sorrow and experiences that do those things…that frighten us and steal our joy…have the potential to drain our energy and courage and leave us trembling and wondering what in the world we are going to do. That’s the time to look at the admonition from Joshua 1:6, “Be strong and of a good courage.” That verse implies an ongoing strength and courage. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that challenge you’re facing today? It may not be going anywhere for a while. You’re going to need to be strong…you’re going to need to be courageous. However, there may be times when that on-going courage is not enough.
You see, it’s not only or always the every-day challenges that can defeat us. There are also those overwhelming, shocking things that sometimes happen when you least expect it. You get a phone call in the middle of the night. Your son has been arrested. Your daughter, who has been acting out for months, stands in the living room and tells you she is pregnant. Your marriage has been strained for a while, and you thought you had weathered the storm. But he tells you tonight that he’s leaving. Those are the times when being of a good courage might not be enough to weather the storm, and you are so overwhelmed you want to give up. You might need to not only be strong but also “very courageous.” (Josh 1:7)
How can you do that? You can remember that God’s instruction and reminder to Joshua is as true for you as it was for him when God said. “…be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” (Josh 1:9) You don’t have to face this alone. You don’t have to walk a path that’s never been walked before. You may be stunned by what you’re facing, but whatever it is didn’t take God by surprise. And that God who loves you, who knows your name, and sees every tear you cry has promised He will go with you wherever this path is taking you.
Have you been carrying the same burden for a long time? “Be strong and of a good courage.” Were you surprised by a new heartache? “Be very courageous.” Are you so overwhelmed that you don’t know what to do or how you’re going to face one more minute of this? “Don’t be afraid or dismayed.” You’re not alone in this. Entrust it to the One who will walk it with you.
Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, choose courage over fear and trust over dismay? Can you remember that you are not walking this path by yourself?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
February 5, 2014:
Just How Frightened Are You?
Please "Share" this new Precious Prodigal post!
http://bit.ly/1ftbySf

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on February 5, 2014
Last Updated on February 5, 2014
Tags: Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, circumstances, compassion, complaining, counseling, Desperation, devotions