How long do I have to carry this burden?

How long do I have to carry this burden?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Here's the Precious Prodigal post for August 07, 2014: How long do I have to carry this burden? #justfortoday #thistooshallpass Please "Share" using this "ShortLink" = http://bit.ly/1oNBlM2

"
Ecclesiastes 3:4 "A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance..."

It isn’t easy to cling to hope when you love a prodigal, is it? That’s also true with any other crisis in your life because broken hearts and burdens hurt. And when something hurts, I want it to stop…and I want it to stop right now. I sometimes say, “I’m glad bad days don’t come in bunches like bananas.” However, the truth is that sometimes that’s exactly how they come. What then?

Jeremiah was called the “weeping prophet” and with good reason. His 40-year ministry consisted of telling God’s people about coming judgment. Although he preached and prophesied to and wept over Judah, the people didn’t repent. However many sermons he preached, not a one of them was titled, “Happy Happy Joy Joy!”

The king of Judah had put Jeremiah in prison because of his prophecies, Babylon’s army had besieged Jerusalem, and (as we say in Alabama) all of them were “in a heap of trouble.” Judah was going to fall, and the people would all be taken in captivity to Babylon. That’s when God told Jeremiah to buy a field. Say what? Knowing they would be taken captive to Babylon, why in the world would someone buy a field?

You see, Jeremiah knew the story wasn’t finished yet. Even in judgment, he knew the God of his salvation, and he remembered some things. He remembered God’s mercy, His faithfulness, and His compassion. And he remembered that mercy and compassion were new every morning. When he recalled those things, Jeremiah had hope. (Lam 3:21-23)

It wouldn’t be an easy path for Jeremiah or the Israelites. But he knew he didn’t have to do those days “in bunches like bananas.” He only needed to do them one day at a time. Whatever today was going to hit him with, he knew that, “…as thy days, so shall thy strength be.” (Deut 33:25) And he knew there would be another bucket full of God’s compassion and mercy for him the next day.

But Jeremiah knew more than that. He knew the bad times wouldn’t last forever. He bought that field in faith, believing he or his children or grandchildren would be back to take ownership of it. He knew that today might be his “time to weep,” but the “time to laugh” was coming. People in recovery put that Biblical concept simply by saying, “This too shall pass.”

Is your heart broken? This too shall pass. Are you overwhelmed and wondering whether you can go on? This too shall pass. Have circumstances or fear so consumed you that you’re ready to throw up your hands and quit? This too shall pass. None of this will last forever. Believe me, it will pass. In the meantime, remembering we only have to do it for today is something we can hold fast.

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, remember you only have to carry this burden for today?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats