Is it really possible to have joy when my life is in turmoil?

Is it really possible to have joy when my life is in turmoil?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Here's our Precious Prodigal post for September 8, 2014: Is it really possible to have joy when my life is in turmoil? #choosejoy #trustGod Please "Share" using "ShortLink" = http://bit.ly/Yq6fB0

"
John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."

Having a prodigal usually means the end of many of our dreams and plans. And we had those dreams and plans, didn’t we? If the prodigal is your spouse, you pictured the two of you building a life together, raising your kids and then growing old together. If the prodigal is a parent or sibling, you hoped for the closeness you saw in other families.

If the prodigal is your child, you planned to watch with pride as he graduated, shed some tears as her Dad walked her down the aisle, and hold and spoil your grandchildren. But it didn’t work out that way, and you’re left with feelings of hurt, disappointment, anger and betrayal.

When our lives are in total chaos because of a prodigal, it’s difficult to remember we have choices. And some of those choices don’t feel like choices at all. Are we prepared to use “tough love” when our son’s electricity is turned off or there’s no food? If there are grandkids there, my guess is we aren’t. Are we willing to let those grandkids go into foster care, or will we intervene and take them home with us?

Besides the choices that aren’t really choices at all, there are many things that are totally out of our control. First on that list would be the behavior of any person other than ourselves. We can’t make the choices for anyone else, and we can’t change the outcome of those choices. Those things too are beyond our control.

We aren’t the ones acting out, but the trouble it brings has affected us as much as anyone. And we often can’t do much to change those circumstances. In fact, sometimes the only thing we can change is how we react to them. With so many things we don’t have a choice about, our reaction may be the only thing that is totally our decision.

A few years ago, I was overwhelmed by what was happening in my prodigal’s life. I was at first discouraged and then defeated. Then I got mad…not at my prodigal, but at Satan who was and is the real enemy. There’s something to be said for a holy temper tantrum that recognizes the true enemy and then plants both feet and refuses to be moved.

I have lost so much, and I have grieved so long, and I know you have too. But maybe it’s time to pitch an old-fashioned hissy fit and say with the psalmist, “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we WILL rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24) Today is a gift from a loving God, whose plan is that we will have joy. How? Jesus admonishes us in John 14:1 to not let our hearts be troubled, but to trust Him. It’s an exercise of our will, and the choice is up to you and me. For me, for today, I choose joy.

Challenge for Today: What might happen if we, just for today, chose joy regardless of our circumstances?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on September 8, 2014
Last Updated on September 8, 2014
Tags: Accepted, Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, armor, armour, arrogance, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, carrying burdens, chaos, Chekhov’s gun