How can I find strength to face the things that are happening in my life?

How can I find strength to face the things that are happening in my life?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Today's Precious Prodigal Post is at = http://bit.ly/1rum0Dc "How can I find strength to face the things that are happening in my life?" #strengthfortoday Like what you see? Pse "Like" & "Share"

"
Deuteronomy 33:25 "...as thy days, so shall thy strength be."

When the phone rang before 5:00 Tuesday morning, I knew who it had to be. My friend Marlene’s daughter had been missing for more than four days, and that early-morning phone call wasn’t good news. As I quickly dressed and drove to her house, I struggled to understand how such a terrible thing could happen. And I wondered what I could possibly say to this devastated mother.

It wasn’t an easy day for anyone involved as family and friends came and went throughout the day. There were tears…and how could there not be? But there was also laughter and courage, love and concern shown toward one another as this family sat united in their loss. And underlying it all was a peace and dignity and strength that will carry them through this and to the other side.

There’s no doubt about the source of their strength, and I was reminded of God’s promise that "...as thy days, so shall thy strength be." (Deut 33:25) My friend didn’t have the strength to face that outcome last month, last week, or even the day before. But when she had to face the unthinkable on that day, God gave her the strength to do it. Despite the emotional roller coaster she was on all day, she kept coming back to the basic truth that God is faithful and she could draw on His strength.

I don’t know what you’re facing today. It may be the diagnosis you dreaded from the doctor. It may be the abandonment of having your spouse walk away or the prodigal child who has broken your heart. It may be any or all of those things, and you may be filled with fear and anger and loss. I don’t mean for one minute to minimize how tough it is.

But God never promised Marlene and He never promised you and me that our path would be easy. What He did promise is that we would never have to walk that path alone. God Himself will walk it with us, and He will neither fail us nor forsake us. (Deut 31:6) I don’t understand why this happened to my friend any more than I understand why I’m facing the things I am. But I do know that the God who promised us strength for the journey is faithful to do as He has promised.

When that terrible thing happens…whatever it might be…there’s great comfort in knowing that God is still in control. I know my friend can’t see God’s hand in what’s happened to her daughter. How could she? But she knows that even when she can’t see God’s hand, she can trust His heart. And she can believe that God would not allow this pain in her life without a purpose regardless of whether she ever understands that purpose or not.

Whatever happens, we can trust that it didn’t take God by surprise. We can also trust that when we’ve used up the strength for today, there will be a whole new bountiful supply of strength for tomorrow. Because of that, we can, even in our sorrow, find joy.

Challenge for Today: What might happen if we asked God to give us the strength we need to walk our path…just for today?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on October 1, 2014
Last Updated on October 1, 2014
Tags: Accepted, Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, armor, armour, arrogance, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, carrying burdens, chaos, Chekhov’s gun