How can I possibly be patient with my terrible circumstances?

How can I possibly be patient with my terrible circumstances?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Today's Precious Prodigal's Post is at = http://bit.ly/1EvXUMX

"
Hashtags; #addtoyourfaithpatience #waitpatientlyforGod
Precious Prodigal's Current Meme is at = http://bit.ly/1BvIoAT
Like what you see?
Please "Like" & "Share" with your Facebook friends.
See more at: www.preciousprodigal.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Peter 1:5-6 “And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith…patience.”

Our text verse is an imperative, meaning it’s not a suggestion, but a directive. And if it’s a directive, it means we have a choice. We’ve looked at adding to our faith by doing the right thing, being open to instruction and practicing self-control. The next thing on our list is patience.

Patience isn’t at the top of my list of assets. Although I’m more patient than I used to be, nobody would say it’s what I’m best known for. And when our lives are in chaos or someone we love is acting out, how can we be patient with our terrible circumstances or with the people who are causing them?

The Greek word translated patience is “hypomenō,” which means “to bear bravely and calmly; to abide.” But the concept really comes alive when you look at the word “qavah,” which is Hebrew for patience. It means “to wait and hope for, to expect.” The Greek word tells us what it is, and the Hebrew tells us how to do it.

It isn’t easy to cling to hope when you’ve lost someone you love, you’re facing cancer, your spouse has walked away or your prodigal is breaking your heart. That’s why patience and the other things we’ve looked at need to be added to our faith. None of them was ever meant to develop in and of themselves or to stand alone.

Faith…taking God at His word…is the fertile soil those tender plants need to grow. Faith tells me God has a plan for our lives, a plan to prosper us and not to harm us. (Jer 29:11) Knowing and believing God has that plan will give me the courage to face whatever comes with the dignity and grace of an adult.

I’m not at the point where I can “glory in tribulation” even though I know tribulation is the very thing that teaches me patience. (Rom 5:3) However, I can remind myself that patience isn’t a hothouse plant that grows in a protected environment. It needs the harshness of storms in order to grow. And I can keep my eyes focused on the God who has a plan for me and cannot fail, and I can trust Him with the outcomes.

It doesn’t mean the road will always be smooth or that life won’t be scary sometimes. Nor does it mean we’ll never have doubts. David, who was the apple of God’s eye, needed a reminder and prayed, "Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation." (Ps 35:3) We too can go to God with our broken heart and weak faith and ask Him to give us that assurance.

Facing life on life’s terms isn’t for sissies, is it? It can sap our energy and chip away at our hope, our faith and our trust. Patience is the product of believing God in the dark because of what we’ve learned about Him in the light. Developing that patience and adding it to our faith is, like most things, a process, and it can be exhausting.  However, when faith allows us to “hope for what we cannot see,” we’ll be able to wait patiently for it. (Rom 8:25)

Challenge for Today: What might happen if we, just for today, focused our eyes on the God who cannot fail and waited patiently for Him?

© 2015 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on March 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 6, 2015
Tags: #addtoyourfaithpatience #waitpat