Have I stopped giving God first place in my life?

Have I stopped giving God first place in my life?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Today's Precious Prodigal's Post = http://bit.ly/1WncMas Like what you see? Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends. Want to read more? Go To: preciousprodigal.com

"
Today's Precious Prodigal's Post = http://bit.ly/1WncMas
Title: Have I stopped giving God first place in my life?
‪#‎sacrificeofpraise‬ ‪#‎fairweatherchristian
Like what you see?
Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends.
Want to read more? Go To: preciousprodigal.com
= = = = = 
‬Hebrews 13:15 “…let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.”

Even if I’m not on the mountaintop of blessing this morning, I certainly remember being there. You probably do too. It might have been a wonderful sermon, a Bible conference or just a special blessing from the Lord.

When our hearts were stirred, we saw the goodness of God, and we were praising Him with everything within us. That praise came from a heart filled with joy to overflowing, and that overflow came out of our mouths as praise.

But what about the tough times? It becomes more of a challenge to praise the Lord then, doesn’t it? However, God is still worthy of our praise even when the storms come and the sun has hidden its face. Those are the times when we can give God first place in our lives by offering the sacrifice of praise. You see, praise…real praise…the kind that God deserves doesn’t depend on our circumstances.

In the beginning, Jesus had many people following Him. That shouldn’t be a surprise because all Israel was awaiting the coming of Messiah, who would free them from bondage and the rule of the hated Roman government. They saw Him coming in power, wielding the mighty hand of God to rule on the throne of David.

However, that’s not how Jesus came. Instead, He came as the sacrificial lamb, the One who would suffer and die. When His followers began to understand how difficult the path would be and how filled with sorrow and suffering, many of them turned back and left Him. That’s when Jesus asked the 12 who remained, “Will you also go away?” (John 6:67)

Those of us who love a prodigal know about difficult paths, and we are very well acquainted with disappointments, pain and suffering. Can we offer up praises to our God in the midst of that suffering, or will we also go away? For me, it’s a daily challenge to focus on the things I can rejoice in, especially when my whole world appears to be in turmoil.

I have to remind myself often that knowing Christ does not exempt me from problems. Why would it? When Job’s wife asked him why he retained his integrity, he answered, “What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?” (Job 2:10)

Although I don't do it perfectly, I really do try to not ask, “Why me?” Instead, I try to say, “Why not me?” because I’m not promised an easy walk through this life. When I remember that, I’m less likely to feel like I’ve been abandoned when heartaches come and more likely to look to the Source of comfort during those heartaches.

I know about the shame and reproach a prodigal can cause, and I know how someone else’s shame can attach itself to me. I’ve lived it, and so have you. Jesus knew about bearing the shame of others too. When He went to the cross, it was “without the camp,” which was a place of shame and reproach.

Hebrews 13 challenges me to go with and to Him there…outside the camp…and there in that place to offer the sacrifice of praise and to do it continually, “that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name.” Will it be hard to do? You bet. But it won’t be impossible if I am really giving God first place in my life.

Challenge for Today: What might happen if we, just for today, determined to give thanks and offer the sacrifice of praise to the God we love even in the circumstances we are facing?

© 2016 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
Today's Precious Prodigal's Post = http://bit.ly/1WncMas
Like what you see?
Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends.
Want to read more? Go To: preciousprodigal.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on May 11, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016