Live and Let Die.

Live and Let Die.

A Story by Priyanka Natesh
"

I don't know whom to feel sorry for--the poor hunter struggling for survival or the mute beasts chopped to death for no fault of theirs..?

"
             "Yes Boss, Maya will be a good catch," said Kiccha. He was a tall, stick like fellow, his charcoal dark skin and bald head gleaming in the sun's glare. "I will do the job. Money how much?" he demanded, looking at a pudgy old man, a palpable foreigner with a straight mustache." Eighty thousand rupees for a clean job," he said, his eyes cunning and greedy. "Ah!That is good.. I go now Boss," said Kiccha, rubbing his coarse hands with satisfaction. He went home to gear himself up for 'the job'. "Kittu, Mittu come and say bye to Appa. I am going to buy you pretty clothes tomorrow," he said, as two grubby 3 year old's ran up to their father and hugged him. "Sita, I have a difficult job to do today. Big bucks," he said to his little wife. "But it is Maya! Maya very dangerous!" she wailed, anxiety written all over her face. "No. I go. Will come back safe." So he said, gathering sharpened spears and poison darts. He took a deep breath and set out for the ominous jungle, while his wife peered through her veil, two drops tricking down her cheeks...
            
                    She crouched low, camouflaged in the bushes, eyes focused in front. Two soundless steps and with one giant leap, she pounced on her male counterpart, baring her ferocious teeth. A ferocious battle for territories ensued. Maya, a mother of two cubs and the owner of the largest tiger territory in Ranthambore was fighting for her cubs, for her pride. Her deep golden eyes wide with anger, her luscious striped coat flashing, the cats fought on for hours. Maya's unmatchable power eventually ended the fight with the male staggering home with a broken paw. Satisfied with her win, she smirked and walked back to her cubs, two tiny, helpless darlings who cuddled into her, purring with joy. She licked them and lay down for a nap..

                    Kiccha huffed his way into the endless forest. The lush green carpet with its multitudinous wonders relaxed his mind. He was at home with the animals. After all, he had grown up playing with them and hadn't the heart to hurt them. With a sigh, he forced his mind to concentrate on his job. He reached a pond, washed his hands and sat down to work. He carefully placed a round, razor sharp steel trap and covered it with leaves. He then climbed up a Machan nearby and waited. The sun slowly started to sink. Birds rushed back to their families and their cheery noises died down. Kiccha was almost dozing off when he heard the spotted deer grazing nearby rush off in a great hurry. In the setting sun's background, the wondrous Maya, along with her cubs trudged down to the pond for a drink. She lapped up the water and the cubs, intrigued by the jumping frogs, leaped around with child like innocence. Maya, meanwhile was looking out for enemies when she took that fateful step.. She stepped on the trap, which snapped shut and sank its metallic claws into her right fore paw. She roared in pain. She couldn't escape. The more she tugged, the greater was the damage. The cubs ran to their mother, terrified by her anger. She twisted and turned, shaking her magnificent head and roaring in fury. After several attempts, she knew it was of no use.. Blood oozed thickly and mingled with the water. She was losing energy. She licked her cubs one last time and lay down on the ground. An hour later, Kiccha climbed down.
Maya was dead.
Proud, fearless Maya was dead. He sat down next to Maya, preparing to skin her. He gazed at the orphaned cubs, nuzzling against their dead mother, knowing that they were going to die soon too. He said a small prayer and sat down to work. 
Two tears rolled down his cheeks and mingled with Maya's blood...

© 2013 Priyanka Natesh


Author's Note

Priyanka Natesh
Staying in the vicinity of a tiger reserve for a week and hearing gruesome tales of poaching compelled me to write this (rather amateurish) story.

Machan=a raised platform,often in a tree,used in tiger hunting [from Hindi]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very few people understand the fact, these innocent animals too have the right to live..!! Why do men consider himself to be superior of all..??

Hunting others just for the sake of money, fame or enjoyment makes no sense..!!!

Time to re-think..!!!

Poor animals are treated with utmost atrocities.. Ever thought of those endless animals that are being butchered just to satisfy men's flaunting attitude..???

Who will bear the grunt if the so-called humans are being attacked and treated in the same manner..??? Then, these species will react like the mountain has fallen on their head..!! Huh..!!!

Poor show from scared community.. Cannot live themselves and cannot allow others to live too..!!!

W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L. W.R.I.T.E...!!!!

These E.Y.E. - O.P.E.N.E.R.S.. need to be brought to everybody's notice..!!!

Time to WAKE-UP before it is too late..!!!!

Thank you for SHARING..!!!!

Good Wishes..!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It is a sad tale. The beast of the forest have little place to rest and hide. Man's take the land and leave nothing for the animal. I like this story. I would love to visit a place like in this story. Thank you for a excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very few people understand the fact, these innocent animals too have the right to live..!! Why do men consider himself to be superior of all..??

Hunting others just for the sake of money, fame or enjoyment makes no sense..!!!

Time to re-think..!!!

Poor animals are treated with utmost atrocities.. Ever thought of those endless animals that are being butchered just to satisfy men's flaunting attitude..???

Who will bear the grunt if the so-called humans are being attacked and treated in the same manner..??? Then, these species will react like the mountain has fallen on their head..!! Huh..!!!

Poor show from scared community.. Cannot live themselves and cannot allow others to live too..!!!

W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L. W.R.I.T.E...!!!!

These E.Y.E. - O.P.E.N.E.R.S.. need to be brought to everybody's notice..!!!

Time to WAKE-UP before it is too late..!!!!

Thank you for SHARING..!!!!

Good Wishes..!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful detailed - writing .... I love India it reminds me of her :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


A tantalising and beast of a story, well done

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh gosh! I thought of Paul McCartney too like Chris at first! Live And Let Die! (one of the most brilliant songs of all time)

No more James Bond!

I loved how well the cruelity of the poachers it tells us. Reminded me of Burmese Days and Sir V S Naipaul at the same time! A promising raconteur you are for sure!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nicely written... And many Indian feelings to it too... Great JOB!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 27, 2013
Tags: Tiger, poaching, poverty, cruelty

Author

Priyanka Natesh
Priyanka Natesh

Hyderabad, India



About
Hello there! I'm Priyanka, a dreamer's soul, a Pisces incarnate ( ;) ), with endless aims and endless aspirations. I'm here to give a voice to my emotions, to get in touch with my true being, to me.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..