Alone

Alone

A Poem by Bethany Woody

One night turned to seven years

swallow that pill with bitter tears.

I was too young for hesitance

too serious for innocence.

 

Feels like I'm all alone

the illusions are all blown.

Empty promises of forever

now I know better.

 

The trials of life proved everything

about who you are and where you've been.

Some days I wish a different choice

didn't listen to that inner voice.

 

But there's nowhere else I could be

so your secrets are safe with me.

Tell me what it is you see in the mirror

are things a bit clearer.

 

Can't erase the facts

just struggle not to fall through the cracks.

Struggle not to choke

on stale cigarette smoke.

 

Caught ourselves in this web we spun

never knowing when it had begun.

We would end up where we are

in a game we can't win by far.

 

But it doesn't matter how you play the game

the road to darkness always knows your name.

So I thank you from the bottom of my heart

for tearing me apart.

 

I beg you now please leave me alone

I'm just trying to find my way home.

© 2009 Bethany Woody


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Feels like I am reading the last part of a story or seeing the last part of the movie. Endings are so hard and they can consume so much time. Love that fifth stanza! Also, "But it doesn't matter how you play the game, the road to darkness always knows your name. A lot of emotion in this piece and you can feel the finality, the getting on with getting over. Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great poem, I could definitely experience the emotion in this piece. It read sort of like a song and I loved the lines "But there's nowhere else I could be / so your secrets are safe with me." such simple yet beautiful rhymes. :)


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

why are you so full of pain and agony? however...if you werent you wouldnt have lived.

an old Indian saying, from that cradle of civilization....says,"life is suffering"

well. it is, i believe. i have seen lots of it. but you know what. life isn't only that i think.

i think maybe knowing suffering means youll know joy. knowing hate means youl know love, pain means bliss. i think that duality of extremes are lovers. one cant be without the other.

so when you are torn apart....you will know what it is to be put together.

so when you revel in the past like this, letting those dragons invade you and ravage you...you are trying to exploit it, to get that sweet and agonizing inspiration to make those words...

but come out of the past to see the now, to see the future. let your life be lived without a sense of time. i believe that is the way. i havent done it. but artists should dare to venture into these dangerous caverns in our minds. in our hearts. that hold our pain storms of the past. grasp also though,. the great memories that are there. for i no longer believe that life is finite. it moves on forever. your energy will continue, as einstein said. and so build your spirit, what im trying to do as well. build it so the next life that comes will feel that energy from your birth. so your consienceness there will remmebre the mistakes of here. and eventually, you will become a happy, joyous being of dark light. the two should always be together!

anyways....i loved your poem!
jake

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

very deep and powerful.. I feel the pain here..

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I was too young for hesitance
Too serious for innocence - Now there's a couplet from my life and a road I can't turn back down. It's a sad poem, but I really identify with it. In a way it's a comfort.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A sad tale of the choices we make in life PP, but every turn is for a reason and you have plenty ahead of yours thus far. It has a good flow and a strong finish, I noted one typo, 'from my heart'. thanks for sharing your journey, smiling at you, Tai

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Alone I found myself again
as the hurt become to much to bear
Tears form
as I beg you to unfold me
and let me breath again
My life has become
a dear John letter
just waiting to be written

Wonderful piece. I really loved this one. I so glad to get to read some new work from you. It has been to long since I have seen anything new. I hope all has be good.

Great Job!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2008
Last Updated on March 27, 2009

Author

Bethany Woody
Bethany Woody

Atlanta, GA



About
This is my letter to the world, That never wrote to me,- The simple news that Nature told, With tender majesty. Her message is committed To hands I cannot see; For love of her, sweet .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snowy Misery Snowy Misery

A Poem by Tamme





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5