The Belly of the Beast

The Belly of the Beast

A Story by Mimi Evans
"

An ode to my laptop...fellow laptop-lovers rejoice!

"

The exterior shell is pale and cool like a corpse's cheek, the inhuman grey encapsulating the frigid belly. As you lift the lid, a thousand pixels of light in red and blue vibrate together like moonbeams to fill your cornea with multicolored points. Something so comforting happens when your ears first register that affirming song- the two notes in a high-low pattern that signal the awakening of the beast. The music introduces the first slide of color, and the synapses in my brain start firing pleasantly. As the tips of my finger first register against the blackened ridges of the board, they buckle with pleasure. My mind has memorized the indentations' pattern, and the muscles in my hand just compose the next chapter from memory. Soon clunking patterns and rhythms manage to work their way into the pressing of the keys.


The stomach of the beast begins to warm as thoughts are scrawled across the screen. A menagerie of unreadable text and numbers filters through the inner workings and wires of its esophagus, spitting out only beautiful pictures, patterns, and effects. Information is tightly compact in a reflective-coated chest, the beating of the heart stopped only by master hackers and spilled coffee. Secrets are safer in the beast than under lock and key; a whisper into its ears will lead to no betrayal- lest you have the passkey (of at least one number, one uppercase letter, and a symbol) to unlock its iron mouth. A thousand condemning documents lay quivering in the belly, filling the ever-hungry 4-gb belly of the beast.

© 2012 Mimi Evans


Author's Note

Mimi Evans

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

cute and clever, enjoyed

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wish I felt the same way! Passionate writing-love the language!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like it! Very cleverly written too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lol, I had a good giggle from this :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012
Tags: laptop, computer, graphics, html, /b/

Author

Mimi Evans
Mimi Evans

CA



About
I write like crazy and read like crazy, send me your writing and I'll check it out. Send me a friend request and we'll hang out ;) I write about many different things on my blog at http://www.elizabe.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5