As friends

As friends

A Poem by Quiet
"

Still pinning over each other even when u know it will not ever work out

"
As friends 
How are we still stuck here
Why can't we just accept and move on 
Why are we still trying
To escape the fact 
That fate just doesn't 
Want us together 
We wanted to fight our odds
Look where it landed us now 
Talking is somewhere far
We can't even stand each other now 
We should have just given up 
At least we would've been a part 
Of each other's life 
As friends of course.
-quiet<3

© 2022 Quiet


Author's Note

Quiet
Please ignore the punctuation and grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

• Please ignore the punctuation and grammar problems

Why? You don't think enough of your reader to do what it takes to make the reading easy? The purpose of punctuation is to help the reader know who you want the piece read. That applies to grammar, too. Download the Grammarly app. It's not perfect, and you should ignore most of the semicolon advice, but not wanting to do the work of learning to write well doesn't remove the need to do it.

• As friends How are we still stuck here

Okay, where's "here?" How can this mean anything to the reader if they don't know what's going on, where we are, and who we are? And what does "stuck" mean. It could mean the car is broken down. It could mean we're in quicksand. It could mean a million different things. You know how you mean it. Shouldn't the reader have context as-they-read? There's no such thing as a second first-impression.

And "we?" Am I part of this "we?" If not, who is this "we?" And why are you asking this unknown person a question when I can't hear the answer?

Here's the deal: Poetry is not us writing down things meaningful to us, about our life. You neither know nor care about me, or any of the people who are members here, because you know nothing about us. Do you want to know all about everyone else's life? No. Why, then, assume that those people want to know what's going on in your life?

The goal of poetry is providing an emotional experience for the reader—to make them feel and care, not learn things about your life. Instead of telling the reader that we cried at a funeral, we give THEM reason to weep. And that takes skills, and an approach to writing, that we never learned in school.

So do a bit of digging into those techniques. The library has lots of books on poetic technique. And the Shmoop site is a great resource for all things scholastic. Give it a try. If you enjoy poetry, knowing more about it makes it better.



Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
1 Review
Added on May 20, 2022
Last Updated on May 20, 2022
Tags: as friends, ex, backtogether

Author