Musing with George Bernard Shaw.

Musing with George Bernard Shaw.

A Poem by R.D.Scott
"

Just a philosopical debate.

"

George Bernard Shaw once wrote Life contains but two tragedies. One is not to get your heart's desire; the other is to get it.

But does what he stated ring true?

Surely it cannot be considered a tragedy when you achieve your heart’s desire. It is a time to rejoice and celebrate. If you take the example of love being your heart’s desire, then being loved and loving another is a blessing. Once you have love in your life, you work hard to improve and keep that love. My desire for love has never waned, it continues to evolve. So how can that be a tragedy?

 To fail in your heart’s greatest desire could be described as a tragedy. When that moment arrives when you realise it is not to be, it is deflating and disheartening. But what of those who see failure as a challenge?  The chance to turn rejection into acceptance, the chance to work just as hard to achieve it. Is that Desire to continue the journey a tragedy?

Maybe the point he was trying to make got lost in the final message. Because for me the yearning for your heart’s desire is the main point in this statement. If you lose that yearning, that hunger for your heart’s desire, then surely that is the biggest tragedy of them all. To fall before rising is one thing but never to aspire to rise is incontrovertibly worse.

Maybe the line should have read.... Life Contains but Two tragedies. One is not to get your heart’s desire; the other is never to have desired at all???

© 2011 R.D.Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 26, 2011

Author

R.D.Scott
R.D.Scott

London,England, United Kingdom



About
I am writing my very first Novel and also enjoy writing about my feelings as well as reading poetry. I have no formal education so my writing may not be perfect. I'm a dreamer and a thinker. I ho.. more..

Writing
New Beginnings New Beginnings

A Chapter by R.D.Scott


Moving On Moving On

A Chapter by R.D.Scott