Trains

Trains

A Story by R.K. Hughes
"

101 word short story, written for a contest.

"

I caught her. She was sitting on the tracks. The train was expected soon. I was waiting for the same train. I smiled at her, but she turned her head from me.

“Not happy to see me?”

“Leave me alone.”

 “…We both know I can’t do that…”

She didn’t say anything; instead she looked down the tracks, hoping for light. We sat for a while, not talking. But soon enough, I could feel vibrations underneath us.

“Maybe you should go to therapy.”

A smile played on her lips, “Maybe.”

“Or, maybe…you’re just trying to save yourself.”

I heard the whistle blow.

© 2016 R.K. Hughes


Author's Note

R.K. Hughes
Heavily up to interpretation, and honestly might be quite choppy due to word count restraint. Though, I feel like I have the foundation for something interesting. I might expand this to a much longer short story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting, I think you did a good job working with the word limit. Definitely can be taken different ways. If you want it too be easier to follow it would probably only need a few more sentences to hook it together smoother. If you want to keep the meaning ambiguous, it's very good as it is.

Posted 8 Years Ago


R.K. Hughes

8 Years Ago

Thank you. And I feel the same way, but sadly the one contest rule is it has to be a 101 word story... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 23, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016
Tags: train, short story

Author

R.K. Hughes
R.K. Hughes

CA



About
Hello, I like to write, which is quite evident of my being here. I am mostly a poet, but hope to expand my writings into fiction. I also draw, and hope to start creating illustrative pieces to coup.. more..

Writing
Freezing Freezing

A Poem by R.K. Hughes