LEDA AND HER DEMON LOVER

LEDA AND HER DEMON LOVER

A Story by ROBERT DAVIDSON

 

LEDA AND HER DEMON LOVER.

 

By ROBERT DAVIDSON.

 

 

Mirrors  are  living  lies,  Leda  Angelopoulos  thought.  They  reflect  only 

the  outside.  And  not  the  fiend  living  within.

 

Leda  stopped  a  moment  to  look  into  her  dressing-table  mirror.  At 

times  she  felt  there  was  another  person,  other  than  herself,  her 

everyday  self  that  she  knew  so  well,  looking  back  at  her.  To  her,  this 

was  the  self  she  feared - one  that  she  had  many  times  tried  to  ignore, 

and  yet  here  it  was  at  this  moment  attempting  to  assert  itself.  She 

shuddered  and  turned  away  from  the  glass.

 

 

Often  she  would  find  herself  wrestling  with  thoughts  that  would  come 

against  her  will.  Like  longing  for  some  bronzed  athlete,  more  virile 

than  Mars  or  even  Priapus  himself. Thinking  such  thoughts,  crude, 

even  obscene  thoughts  that  she  had  never  realized  herself  capable. 

And  always  she  felt  that  these  lower  thoughts,  as  she  called  them, 

were  a  corrosion  of,  or  a  threat  to  her  better  self,  the  self  she  saw 

herself  as  being.  Passions  that  struck  like  a  sharp=pointed  knife.  As 

though  she  were  possessed  by  a  demon.

 

Leda  finished  applying  her  make-up  and  leaned  back  to  survey  herself  critically  in  the  glass.  Why,  she  thought,  had  she  chosen  such  a  violent  orange  lipstick,  so  at  odds  with  her  olive  complexion?  And  her  cheekbones  heavily  reddened?  And  that  mascara  and  eye-shadow?  Oh,  well,  there  wasn’t  time  to  change  it  now.  Gordon  Pettibone  would  be  waiting  for  her  outside  in  the  car,  would  be  upset  if  she  was  late  again.  She  smoothed  down  her  dress  as  she  stood  to  leave  the  room.  She  turned,  took  one  last  look  at   her  reflection. But,  strange  to  say,  she  could  not  see  herself  at  all.  Perhaps  it  was  a  trick  of  the  light,  for  there  was  only  a  dark  shadow  where  her  face  had  been.

 

Her  mobile  rang  as  she  came  downstairs.  It  was  Gordon  saying  he  had  been  held  up  at  the  office  and  would  not  be  able  to  pick  her  up  for  at  least  another  hour.  And  there  she  was,  all  dressed  up  and  waiting.  Well,  she  would  walk  down  to  the  shops  to  fill  in  the  time.  Perhaps  check  out  the  new  café  in  the  High  Street.

 

She  smiled  at  her  reflection  in  shop  windows  as  she  passed.  Her  dress  clung  to  her  figure  in  a  way  she  hadn’t   noticed  before.  She  knew  that  Gordon  Pettibone  wouldn’t  like  that.  He  was  a  bit  of  a  prude  and  didn’t  like  her  showing  off  her  body  in  public.  Outside  the  newsagency  a  headline  caught  her  eye,  ‘Serial  killer strikes  again!’  But her  attention  was  distracted  by  a  couple  of  hoons  in  a  car  whistling  as  she  crossed  at  the  traffic  lights.  But  she  didn’t  mind  so  much   tonight.  Although  in  the  past,  she  always  hated  it  when  men  behaved.

 

Some  minutes  later  a  man  came  into  the  café  and  sat  down  at  the  vacant  seat  at  her  table.  He  was  not  unknown  to  her.  It  was,  in  fact,  a  man  she  knew  as  Spiridon,  who  worked  in  the  same  office  building as  herself.

 

As  Spiridon  was  twice  her  age  Leda  was  sure  Gordon  would  not  mind  her  talking  to  him.  His  pitchblende  eyes - so  black  and  hard - were  taking  in  her  whole  body  as  she  talked,  seeing  it  as  a  promised  land,  no  doubt.  A  disconcerting  stare,  she  felt.  His  voice  was  silk-smooth,  his  vibrant  tones  a  caress.

 

She  felt  his  difference  from  herself.  They  had  left  the  café  and  were  walking  through  a  park  towards  the  beach.  It  was  like  walking  at  the  bottom  of  some  dusty,  flowering  garden  in  Hades,  she  thought.  And  she  an  escaping  Persephone. ‘A man’s  nature  will  get  the  better  of  him,’ he  was  saying. In  the  moonlight  his  eyelids  looked  as  solid  as  stone.  Her  hips  brushing  against  him  as  they  walked.

 

‘In  the  animal  world,’  he  went  on  to  say,  ‘it’s  nature’s  decree  the  male  should  dominate.’

 

Leda  turned  to  him  and  laughed  as  she  said,  ‘The  higher  primates  have  progressed,  evolved  beyond  that.’

 

And  then  she  was  refusing  him  her  mouth.  But  shocked.  Leda  was  forced  to  admit  to  herself  that  while  her  mind  rebelled  her  body  desired.  Her  indignation,  he  would  know,  concealed  an  unconscious  excitement.  He  would  know  only  too  well  he  had  aroused  that  other  side  of  herself,  the  self  she  had  seen  in  her  mirror.  What  power  was  this  man  exerting  upon  her?  His  breath  against  her  face.  The  nearness  of  his  body.  She  needed  to  defend  herself,  not  so  much  against  him  as  against  herself.  It  was  as  though  she  had  crashed  the  door  of  some  Bluebeard’s  chamber.  Her  hand  was  stiffening  in  his  hand,  his  thumb  passing  over  her  fingers  and  up  to  her  wrist.

 

And  now,  each  time  she  raised  her  eyes,  she  found  his  eyes  waiting  to  meet  hers.  In  the  end,  the  thing  that  she  hadn’t  wanted  to  happen,  yet  inwardly  wanted  so  much  to  happen,  happened.  She  looked  up.  Eyes  met.  Mouths  joined.  He  had  locked  his  fingers  in  hers.

 

‘It’s  too  strong  for  either  of  us,’  Spiridon  was  saying.  She  felt  a  chill  in  her  spine.  Shuddered.  Impelled  by  some  force  over  which  she  had  no  control.  It  held  sway  over  her  will.  A  strong  magnetic  quality  that  attracted  and  drew  her  inexorably  to  him.  His  body  against  hers.  There  was  no  escape.  His face  was  set,  her  eyes  brittle.

 

The  sea  is  a  vast  looking-glass  reflecting  moonlight  and shadows,  Leda  thought  as  they  sat  together  on  the  beach.  And  she  found  herself  lost  in  a  puzzle  of  moon-shadows.  I  don’t  want  to,  but  I  do.  She  was  struggling  with  herself.  Her  inner  self  was  imagining  his  tongue  upon  her  mouth  and  was  picturing  the  interlock  of  his  body  with  hers. She  felt  she  was  opening  up  her  whole  inner  secret  self  as  she  lay  on  the  sand.

 

All  at  once  she  was  startled  and  tried  to  sit  up.  He  was  pushing  her  hand  away  as  she  tried  to  touch  the  front  of  his  trousers.

 

It  was  then  that  she  saw  his  knife.  She  was  able  to  scream  only  once  before  he  put  his  other  hand  over  his  mouth.  The  knife  entered  her  throat  cutting  the  jugular  in  a  spurt  of  blood.

 

Copyright  2007  robertdavidson.  All  rights  reserved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 ROBERT DAVIDSON


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very well thought out piece, with many brilliant descriptions which I most enjoyed, such as her 'criticism' towards her own appearance, and the musings of her different self. I loved the way you depicted the scene, painting a perfect picture first of this self discovery, which then transformed into a quaint romantic evening, the desperate and some what naughty need for passion, that final bloody conclusion, the sudden rip of horror (perfectly done), all of which really conveyed me into the story with a clear and precise image.

I do love the way you tell a story for you always have a well constructive narrative, withholding just the right amount of information so to reveal it at the best time. Expertly done. I liked the way the speech flowed; though here I do have a slight criticism in that I think speech quotations may help the structure of the story, not that much of a biggy I know, but personally I find it helps as a reader sometimes and makes the format look more interesting. But that was the only thing I could find to grumble about :-)

Another thing I found really interesting about the piece was the content, again I say perfectly done, as it does make for a very interesting story, with the plot rolling wonderful and the unexpected twist at the end. (I thought Gordon might have popped up during the kissing). Really really great story!


Posted 15 Years Ago


I didn't see that coming at all ... too bad she didn't hold out for Gorgon. Gordon might have been a boring prude but he liked his women alive- at least.

Very good writing, I was glued to it. Sorry it took me this long to get here but I definitely enjoyed it.



Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on August 17, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Varapira Varapira

A Story by Andrew Dunham


Hush Your Heart Hush Your Heart

A Poem by Bubo