SHE STOOD IN A SHADOWED DOORWAY

SHE STOOD IN A SHADOWED DOORWAY

A Story by ROBERT DAVIDSON

 

SHE STOOD IN A SHADOWED DOORWAY

By Robert Davidson

She  stood  in  a  shadowed  doorway  a  few  moments  before  stepping  out  to  stroll  nonchalantly under  a  street  light.  Her  white  sheath  skirt  tight  to  the  thigh.  A  flashy  female  figure  with  fading,  red-brown  hair  with  face  set  in  lacquer  smile.  The  neon  nightscape  reflecting  in  plate  glass.  She  dodging  back  into  the  doorway.  A  police  pick-up  car  cruising  past.  On  the  other  side  of  the  street  a  well-fleshed  man  of  forty  was  eyeing  her  with  bright  predatory  eye.

She  met  his  glance  as  he  came  up  to  her.  A  grin  glistening  on  his  wet  mouth.  He could  see  she  was  aware  of  his  stare.  The  opening  of  her blouse; the  swelling  inside; the  white  cleft; shadowed. Mary  Magdalene had  been  no  less  than  she,  he  thought.  His  presence  tense  before  her.  She thinking  inside  herself, here’s yet  another  mediocre  male!  At  length  she  was  the  one  to  break  the  silence.  The  paint  on  her  lips  mouthing  her  name  was  Roxanne. 

 ‘What did  you  say  your  name  was?  He  asked.

‘Roxanne.’

‘Is that  all?’

It’s  enough,  isn’t  it?’

The  masculine  shape  of  his  voice  said  he  was  called  Tony - Tony  Hart.

Turning  back  to  the  doorway,  her  mouth  smiling.  She  beckoned  him  to  follow.  A  hallway  leading  to  a  flight  of  stone  stairs  smelling of  damp,  the  banister  greasy  to  the  touch.  Stairs  going  up  and  up  steep  and  dim  as  Calvary.  On  the  third  landing  they  came  to  a  door  that  opened  into  a  large  airless  room.  A  shaft  of  neon  light  from  the  street  laid  bare  thin,  torn  curtains  loosely  hanging over  a  dusty  window.  In  one  corner  was  a  large  matrimonial  bed  pushed  against  the  wall.  A  stain  on  the  counterpane.

Unbuttoning  her  blouse,  Roxanne  said,  ‘Here,  let  me  undress,’  her  hand  detaining,  restraining  his  hand.  Tony  now  finding  himself  searching  for  something  to  say.  Shyness?  Or  perhaps  imagining  how  he  might  introduce  a  touch  of  tenderness  into  the  encounter,  giving  some  personal  consideration.  Not  just  the  crude  conjunction  of  bodies  on  a  bed  going  through  motions.  Something  deeper.  He  wondered  if  it  were  possible,  perhaps  simply  talking  or  holding  one  another  for  a  while.  Standing there  watching  her  slide  stockings  off. But  he  couldn’t  get  the  words  out.

 Then  he  touched  her  with  his  voice,  saying: ‘Look,  there’s  nobody  in  the  world, but  us tonight.’  But  his  words  to  Roxanne  were  like  a  hot wind  blowing  over  her  face.  She  pulled  a  mouth, her black  eyes  blazing,  her  voice  cut,  said:  ‘Take  it  easy,  Tony.’  That  broad  smile  on  his  fat  face;  his  mouth  a  meaty  mass  about  to  move  above  her throat.  She  shrinking  back  as  if  a  flame  had  leaped  towards  her  face,  tearing  her  mouth  away  from  his. The  impact  of  his  life  slicing  into  hers.  Their  thoughts  clashing  like  pebbles  in  mid-air. 

‘I’m  disappointed,  sorry,’ he said. But  a  deep,  bedrock  distrust  was  hardening  her  heart.  If  she  were  female  foolish  enough  to    No,  no,  no, she  told  herself,  men  must  be  kept  strictly  within  the  four-square  enclosure  of  themselves,  and  I  must  keep  myself  taut  and  tight  within  my  own  self.  She  said  to  him: ‘Now  you’re  terribly  male  upset, aren’t  you?  Well,  you  crossed  the  forbidden  frontier.  What  must  you  expect?’

 Warp-heads  like  him, Roxanne  thought.  No  hopers  of  the  worst  kind.  He  was  just  another  brutal,  clumsy  male,  she  argued  within  herself. Men  are  tough,  insentient  creatures,  hard  as  iron.  He,  like  all  men  was  selfish,  aware  only of  himself,  must  prove  himself  in  the  male  position  in  face-to-face  embrace.  Men - the  deception  they  expect  and  need!  And  me  the  mere  tool  for  his  ego-satisfaction.  That’s  all  I  am  to  him.  He’d  never  own  me  publicly.  He’d  be  the  first  to  throw stones  if  I  appeared  amongst  his  friends.  Well,  let’s  get  it  over  with,

she  thought,  stiffening,  hardening  her  spine  in  resistance. They  were  fitting  together  for  the  thrust  of  lust. 

But  the  deeps  are  dark  in  the  human  soul.  Feeling  herself  turn  to  stone,  Roxanne  shut  tight  her  mouth,  her  eyes  becoming  fixed,  her  vision  in-turned,  her  body  slipping  from  her  as  he  entered  her.  She, mentally  detached  from  her  body,  was  thinking  of  Cherie,  the  girl  who  often  worked  the  same  beat  as  herself.  Cherie  would  return  to  Roxanne’s  room  later  that  night.  In  imagination  she  felt  Cherie’s  blood-red  lips  upon  her  own.  The  warmth  of  the  girl’s  body  and  breath.  Roxanne  was  living  it  all  inside  her  head.  Let  your  mind  float,  she  was  telling  herself.  Cherie,  the  woman  she  had  come  to  know  better  than  herself.  Tender  love  kindled,  a  soft  flame  lapping  her.  Yet somewhere  on  the  edge  of  her  mind,  or  in  her  heart,  Roxanne  wept.

 But  gripped  in  her  strong  arms  and  straddling  thighs,  Tony  had  never  felt  more  utterly  alone.  And  within  himself  he  said  to  his  soul:  No, we  can  never  meet    except  for  a  moment.  Foolish  of  me  to  have  expected  more.  Our  lone  paths  cross  one  another - briefly,  then  we’re  blown  apart  forever.    So  except  for  a  few  random  street-meets  on  nights  like  this,  Tony  Hart  has  remained  faithful  to  the  mezzo-tint  of  memory,  a  love  of  his  early  days,  Jenny,  the  girl  who  had  died.

 Well,  he’s  got  what  he  wanted,  Roxanne  reflected  as  she  returned  once  more  to  her  body,  her  eyes  mocking  the  sated  lover  tossing  money  onto  the  bed.  She  putting  on  her  mouth at  the  glass, was  busying  herself  with  herself.  Tony’s  thoughts  were tortuously in-woven  as he observed  her slender fingers  counting  out  the  cash. I  no  longer  have  existence  for  her,  he  said  to  himself.

In  a  closing  of  words  and  doors,  it  was  like  a  nail  being  driven  through  your  heart,  Tony  fancied.  He  was  now  beating  a  retreat.  She  following  him  down  the  stairs  to  where  she  stood  like  an  avenging  angel  in  the  shadowed  doorway.  Her  look  of  scorn  unnerves,  he  thought. Enough  to  destroy  the  man  in  a  man.  Tony  felt  stiff  as  a  conscience.  His  lusty  night  blowing  away  like  dead  winter  leaves.

 

Copyright 2007  robertdavidson

© 2009 ROBERT DAVIDSON


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This was an excellent write. There were some grammar problems, but on the whole, I can't think of anything I didn't like about this piece. Good write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You never said what it is patterned after. I'd be interested in reading the original.

Susan S

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

intense. really well done my dear. there are some issues here - some misspellings, some grammatical errors, some missing words. you might want to go through it with a critical eye and just pick up those pieces, so ti flows more clearly.

'The impact of his life slicing into hers. Their thoughts clashing like pebbles in mid-air. "

that was my favorite part. this really has the potential to become something fantastical. :) love it



Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on January 9, 2009