The War Is Over

The War Is Over

A Story by RachaudSmith
"

This is an alternater ending, or rather alternate last page I wrote for the classic WW1 novel, All Quiet On The Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque.

"

The sound of the gunfire’s laughter, unusually quiet on this October day,  played out at Paul as if he was trapped in a room, with all four walls quickly occupying the space, but slowly moving in on him. However, when the bullet entered his chest, gunfire and the whizzing of bullets he heard no more.

His mother had passed six months prior, but her voice was as clear as if she was standing right next to him, guiding him through battle.

Paul. My baby boy. My soldier. You can come home.” His life was quickly fading away, but he was perfectly fine with it. And, as he took his last breath, he smiled one last time because finally the war was over.

© 2013 RachaudSmith


Author's Note

RachaudSmith
The actual book's last page is really this long. This alternate ending if for a project in history class.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely done.
The discriptions were short yet powerfull.
Overall good poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really liked this story and perspective. It was short, concise and made a great statement. However, I suggest you might consider adding to a couple of areas. '...he heard no more from this world.' This I think brings more into perspective his hearing his mother. Also, he '...he smiled one last time because he knew for him the war was over.' This to me this makes his feelings even more personal as with his smile.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 30, 2012
Last Updated on March 26, 2013
Tags: alternate ending, fan fiction, war, novel, violence

Author

RachaudSmith
RachaudSmith

Lancaster, TX



About
I love books. I've been writing for three years and I been reading technically my whole life, but for recreatinal purposes for seven years. I run a blog for reviewing books, plus extra stuff. more..

Writing