The Pumpkin Ate Me and I Died...Oops!

The Pumpkin Ate Me and I Died...Oops!

A Story by Rachel
"

written close to Halloween.

"

     One Halloween night, when the harvest moon was high and full in the sky, I told the group of kids I was taking trick-or-treating the story of the headless horseman, also known as Sleepy Hollow. We were all settled around the bonfire in our backyard, swapping our goodies, and by the time I was done the swapping had halted and I had all of their attention. One child, a small blonde boy, stood up and said, "The pumpkin ate me and I died...oops!" We all laughed and he smiled nervously and walked inside. Later, as I gave him some punch to drink, he looked up, a little freaked out, and said it again, "The pumpkin ate me and I died...oops!" And again as he left with his mom, he looked at me with tears in his eyes, truly afraid, "The pumpkin ate me and I died...oops!" As I sat in my now quiet living room I thought I heard a horses hooves clattering on the driveway outside and heard the child say it again, clear as day though he was now miles away, "The pumpkin ate me and I died...oops!" I fell asleep with a bat in my hand and all of the lights on.

     In the morning I was awoken by a light, but urgent, knock on my door. I blearily opened the door to find two cops standing in the early light of the fall morning. "Hello, miss," He looked at his notepad, "Layland, there's been an accident, and we need you to come with us." So I climbed into the cruiser and they drove through the city 15 minutes away, and straight to the park. A gruesome sight assailed my vision. The child from the night before lay spread eagle on the pavement in front of me, broken and bloody. One of the cops handed me a piece of paper. "We were told you might recognize the significance of this." The paper had one line of childish scrawl.

"The pumpkin ate me and I died...oops!"

© 2008 Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was a really fun story. I liked reading your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 20, 2008

Author

Rachel
Rachel

Ratcliff, AR



About
Well, I'm ever so slightly insane, to start with. In my opinion, insanity is a necessity for any artist, be they writer, singer, player, or doodle-bug. I love to write, though I often get stuck, and l.. more..

Writing