The Old Man

The Old Man

A Story by Rahul Dutta
"

An old man has confusing memories of his past as the world ends around him and he waits for the eventual end to come

"
The old man sat on the bench watching the world end around him. Men, women and children ran everywhere around him. He watched the sky dark and brooding with the smoke from all the fires raging around. He could still feel the heat from 2 blocks away where the fire still raged and consumed everything in its path including his daughter and her partner.
He felt helpless as he saw the death and despair all around him. Fires raged all around in almost every block. Those who couldn't avert their fate, died trapped and helpless. Those who were able to avoid the fire, kept running, hoping that they could outrun their fate and the end of the world.
He sat still through it all patiently waiting for the end to come. For the darkness to swoop him up in its cool embrace. Sometimes he remembered bits and pieces of his past. Sometimes they made him smile, and sometimes they made him even more depressed. But throughout it all he waited.
He remembered a time long past when he had walked with his mother on their way to school for the first time. How he didn't want to go to school at all. It all came back to him in bits and pieces.
"I don't want to go inside mommy," he had whispered with tears in his eyes.
"I know sweetheart, it will be ok," said his mom. She knelt and kissed him on the cheeks.
How it all came back to him. How he remembered it all. He remembered rubbing his eyes as he saw his daughter being led inside the school by the matron. How he whispered to his daughter, "it will be ok sweetheart, I am here for you."
That was such a long time ago. He looked around as the earth heaved and rocked throwing people to the ground. He stood up and started walking in the park. And remembering the bits and pieces of life that still mattered to him. He remembered the day he had proposed to his love, how he had taken her out for dinner in a fancy restaurant and the long walk back home. How he had awkwardly asked her then best friend out for a relationship.
"This was a lovely evening! It was my best birthday yet! Thank you!"
"Well, you are welcome," he had said nervously looking around.
"Are you alright? You seem to be sweating?"
"Yes, I am perfectly alright, its just a bit hot weather I guess," he said even more nervous now.
"I need to ask you something, you know?" he stammered out.
"Yes? What is it? You are looking pale! Are you sure you are alright?" she said with concern in her voice.
"Yes, yes, perfectly fine. I wanted to ask, would you want to pursue a romantic relationship with me?" - he stammered out.
She was silent for a long time. Then he remembered how she had jumped up in joy and hugged him tight. How she had kissed his cheek and told him "thank you daddy for accepting us and for letting us stay with you!."
He remembered how proud and happy he was to see his daughter have someone to hold and to love. How he had just welcomed both of them to stay with him in the same house over the thanksgiving dinner. They were both struggling, but he was there for them, to help them out.
As he walked in the empty park, he wished he could help anyone now. It was all futile in the end. Outside even more people were running and scrambling. Pushing each other and running over those who fell down. All futile he thought. Dark and despondent thoughts took over his mind as he waited for death to come and release him.
He remembered the drab and gray skies of the funeral. How the coffin was lowered as the minister gave the eulogy. How his mother lay inside the coffin, silent. How he had knelt on the floor and cried at losing someone so close. How he had promised to always take care of his newly born daughter. How he had promised to himself that he wouldn't let his wife's death go in vain.
He remembered it all and the pain of it all. It didn't matter at the end he thought. After all he was not able to protect his daughter even. She lay dead in their house, which like several others in the area are now just rubble after burning for hours.
The earth gave another shudder and he saw buildings topple over like dominoes. He stood at the edge of the park and felt the earth heave and shudder again. He saw buildings topple over each other. He saw the world end. And he waited patiently for his end.

© 2020 Rahul Dutta


Author's Note

Rahul Dutta
This is my first attempt at writing any type of story :)
Please be kind and give me tips on how to be better, what you liked about it, what you disliked etc. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Firstly welcome to the writers cafe
Secondly I’m no good at in depth advice or error reviews but I loved the way you could jump from one memory to the next as he paused on his walk I loved it
I think this is a beautiful story
The only thing is I was wondering is it a fire from war or arson or bushfire

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rahul Dutta

4 Years Ago

Hi Julie, thanks for the review 🙂
I personally thought that the fire is from a war where h.. read more



Reviews

Firstly welcome to the writers cafe
Secondly I’m no good at in depth advice or error reviews but I loved the way you could jump from one memory to the next as he paused on his walk I loved it
I think this is a beautiful story
The only thing is I was wondering is it a fire from war or arson or bushfire

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rahul Dutta

4 Years Ago

Hi Julie, thanks for the review 🙂
I personally thought that the fire is from a war where h.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

13 Views
1 Review
Added on April 12, 2020
Last Updated on April 12, 2020
Tags: Fiction, End of the world, Sad, Memories

Author

Rahul Dutta
Rahul Dutta

Kolkata, West Bengal, India



About
Just a young guy learning how to write :) more..