Butterfly Haunting

Butterfly Haunting

A Story by Raindance

Butterfly haunting


Just weeks before my wedding Butterflies haunted me.


One rested on the wall next to my bed. He was white with delicate pink and yellow patterns outlined in a rich dark blue. He kept me company while I sank into the world of Hemingway. He was right beside me when I chased hunters in Africa, watched bull fights and sobbed about a hinted at abortion and the human condition. He refused to move. In the end I gently chased him out of the window for I feared he would starve to death otherwise.

 Literature cannot feed your body.


One followed the bus I caught with my bridesmaid to visit the salon. She was a velvety brown with white swirls on the wings. She couldn’t keep up with the bus but managed to wish us good luck, fluttering about in a frantic good bye dance.

“Lovely colours!” the bridesmaid exclaimed.


One sat on a broad green leaf in the garden while I poured my doubts into a sympathetic ear of a long-suffering friend. She (the butterfly) looked like a would-be butterfly-zebra with her black and white patches. The two tiny patches at the end of her wings were a pleasing orange tinged with the palest of greens.

“You will cross the bridge when you come to it.” The long-suffering friend stated.


One escorted me home on a sunlit morning following a night of revelry with the girls. He had blue-black sprinkled with a hint of silver. He was the largest of them all and reminded me of a childhood friend I once made in the woods. The said friendship lasted a single blissful day for he was a migrant butterfly of a largish size.

“That was a beautiful day in the woods.” I reminisced


A week before the wedding, a throng of butterflies infested a mango tree near the Kelaniya Bridge. They were orange, yellow and white. They swarmed above the gold tinted mango flowers in a frenzy. I drank in the beauty, the dust, petrol fumes, warm sunshine, the noise, the pulsating energy and the dirty waters beneath the bridge. 

© 2015 Raindance


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on April 29, 2015
Last Updated on April 29, 2015
Tags: Butterfly, Haunting, Wedding

Author

Raindance
Raindance

Colombo, Western, Sri Lanka