You Know Who You Are

You Know Who You Are

A Stage Play by Ranger Nadaly

Orange and red lights cover the stage as Jolene by Dolly Parton plays in the background. 
A girl in tan shorts and a tank top comes off of stage right and runs downstage center. She catches her breath as people whisper "Jolene" at different times frantically from behind stage. The whispers are taunting the girl who is trying to cover her ears. 
The girl runs upstage as men and women slowly come off of both stage right and left and encircle the girl. The men and women staring at the girl monotonously are echoing "God save your soul".
The girl is scared as she finally pushes through the men and women coming out into the front of the audience. This abrupt break in the mob causes the lights to flash bright red as the men and women swarm around like lost souls as they dance off the stage.
The girl tries to keep away from them as the song slowly comes to an end. The girl balls up in the center of the stage as the lights dim down and the song ends.

Colorless lights come up with the girl still balled up in the middle of the floor.

Mom: (enters stage right stomping, wiping her tears)

Dad: (comes on stage right after) What do ya want? Huh? Its not like they really give a damn-

The two can't see Jolene.

Mom: (turns around) Don't use that kind of language in the house!

Jolene: (cautiously perks up and looks at her parents)

Dad: Its my house I'll say whatever the hell I wanna say. 

Mom: Ya know he's right to worry bout ya. (sighs)

Dad: (walks downstage) Is that what he tells you ...

Mom: I'm not tryna ... I just want you to be more open. (goes towards him) God only knows how much time we have on Earth.

Dad: (tense) So only God should be tellin me what to do. (flailing)

Mom: There's a banquet tonight and I'd appreciate- (whimpers)

Dad: Why do you haunt yourself with this bullshit?! That man is scammin us all out of our houses! (interrupts, moving towards his wife)

Jolene: (watching intently)

Mom: How dare you! He's a good man. A holy man. (Squealing)

Dad: (standing in front of his wife, both downstage left staring at each other) Then what am I? What are we? What bout your daughter? Your sons? What're they? 

Mom: We can learn to become ... (can't finish, looks down)

Dad: Go to your banquet. (walks away to downstage right, turns to her again) But don't expect to come home to much. (about to walk off stage right)

Mom: God will save a place for me! I wish I could say the same for you. (panics, tripping over herself)

Dad: Whatever gets you through the day. (Walks off)

The drum rhythm from Silhouettes by Of Monsters and Men grows louder as flashes of blue cover Jolene and Mom.

Mom: (cries quietly before exiting stage left)

Jolene:(is standing now moving upstage hiding in the darkness)

The drums get louder with soft piano playing. Blue lights cover upstage.

Mom: (enters stage right with a bible, silently moving frantically for the dad)

Dad: (enters stage left and tries to push the mom off of him)

Both are upstage center silently fighting. Jolene watches from behind them.

Mom: (silently screaming pushing the bible onto the dad)

Dad: (throws the book onto the floor)

The thud of the book stop the drums and piano.

Mom: (halts at the sight of the bible on the floor, on her knees)

Dad: (takes ring off and puts it in mom's hands, walks off of the stage and into the audience )

Mom: (hammers the ring into the bible before crawling off stage)

Jolene: Goodnight Mom. (looks at the stage that her mom exited off of, sits by the bible and stares at it) You f****r. (giggles before ripping the bible)

Lights go off.

Lights on.
Three children on bikes ride on stage in a circle. Five other children are skipping on stage in a line in front of the three children biking. The three children stop biking and end in a line facing the audience. The five children skip in between the three children with bikes.

Ensemble/Child: I get the princess dress in homeroom today. (excited)

Ensemble/Child: My older sister says we represent our mom and dad. So always shine your buckle ... But I don't wear a buckle (confused)

Ensemble/Child: There was a dead animal on the road this mornin. (casual)

Everything is soft and light as the children take their bikes off of stage as the other five children move to the center of the stage. Two children face each other as they let a child on both their shoulders. The children on their shoulders lock hands and form an arch. The fifth child forms an X and connects their hands to both sides of the human arch. They stand still.

Jolene: (enters stage and goes behind the human doorway) Hello? I'm new here. Is this my class? Miss? ... (opens the door by swinging the child open, walks in and stands in front of the doorway)

Voices rise from the sound booth. Jolene listens intently, innocently.

A Voice: As children of god we will learn ...

Another Voice: ... Can you spell dog? D O G ...

Another Voice: ... 5 * 2 = 10 ...

Another Voice: ... You are man ... you are woman ...

Voices continue as the children forming the door slowly pull Jolene through the door and push an older version of Jolene inside. 

A Voice: Assimilation means to adopt an ideology ...

Another Voice: ... Sinning will only send you to hell ...

Another Voice: ... Conserve ...

Another Voice: .... Yes mam ... No mam ...

Another Voice: ... The force multiplied by the distance will give us the the work ...

Bell rings and Jolene shakes off her fixation on the voices. The children forming the door crumble and spread around like students dismissing from class.

Jolene: (Moves within the crowd trying to get through)

Children continue to walk around quickly, ignoring Jolene.

Rachel: (pushes through) Jolene! C'mon we gotta go! (grabs Jolene's hand)

Jolene: (watches the girl pull her behind the crowd)

The children walking to class stop and form a wall upstage. Every other child punches the air into the audience while the other children kick and stomp.

Rachel: (screams from the behind the wall) You idiots!

The wall of children parts as they run off stage.

Sam: (slapping and hitting Chuck, on top of him)

Chuck: (in pain) No ...!

Rachel: (frustrated) Do something! Stop them! (looking at Jolene, shaking her a bit)

Jolene: (nods) Hey ... stop ... please. Sir I don't-

Sam: (looks up at Jolene and interrupts her) Sir? (wipes his face and stands up) Who the f**k you think you are? (coming towards Jolene)

Rachel: (helps Chuck up)

Jolene: Im sorry mister I was just ... (hyperventilating)

Rachel: Sam just shut up. Like you haven't done enough.

Sam: Suck my dick Rachel! Jolene's so screwed she doesn't even recognize her own brother. (eyes Jolene)

Jolene: I don't have a brother.

Rachel: (goes towards Jolene, weak smile) Your right. You have two. (waves towards both the boys)

Jolene: Stop it. Stop it. (annoyed) My brothers wouldn't fight. They'd be kind.

Chuck: Does she know anything? (calls out)

Everyone looks at Chuck for a moment. Rachel goes back to help Chuck.

Sam: Chuck shut up. (still looking at the tearful Jolene) She might be stupid but that aint her fault. 

Rachel: Why don't you all just go home. (sighs) If the Pastor finds out were all done for.

Chuck: You want me to go with that b*****d? (points to Sam)

Sam: Get over yourself for one second could ya? It was my decision. (walking forward a little)

Chuck: A choice that was supposed to be mine!

Sam: I aint holdin you back. You wanna join? Join. Don't come cryin to me when some poor f****r shoots your leg off.

Chuck: I can take care of myself.

Sam: Whatever floats your boat. (snickers)

Chuck: Hey I learned from the best didn't I ...

Sam: (silent)

Rachel pushes Chuck to Sam and Jolene. Sam touches Jolene's shoulder and everyone freezes. Jolene tumbles in pain and is lifted into the air and thrown into the audience, hovering over the audience. Rachel has slipped off by now. The background turns into an Army compound. Men march from both stage right and left straight to the other side of stage and off. Sam marches with them. Chuck watches like a lost child and runs after them.
Jolene watches curiously, trying to reach for them.
The background turns into a battlefield. Men run on stage with guns hiding and shooting out into the audience like they are the enemy.
Sam hides and shoots with the rest of the men. Chuck comes on stage and follows Sam's actions.
People are getting shot. Sam covers the men he is hiding with and is shot but is surviving. Chuck is desperate and continues to fight. A bomb is thrown and Chuck with other men are blown to pieces. Sam hides his anger and sadness as he and other men are injured and run off stage to get to safety.
Its silent. Jolene is put back on the stage with the many dead ensemble men/Chuck.
Jolene goes over to Chuck and sits by him. 

Jolene: Daddy used to say that most deaths were from stupidity ... yeah he said that ... I remember. (smiles weakly, holding his head) Like Kennedy. Didn't he die from snowboarding and playing ... playing some sport I think (looking at Chuck, continues to talk to his dead body)

Lights go off. Everyone leaves the stage.
Lights on stage. Rachel and Jolene are standing by a rack of dresses. Rachel is busy hunting through the rack. Jolene is quiet.

Rachel: Just pick a dress. Gotta start somewhere. (waving Jolene over, pushing the rack in between the two)

Jolene is facing the left towards the side of the rack while on the other side Rachel is looking right towards the other side of the rack.

Jolene: Why am I pickin a dress? (carelessly looking through the rack)

Rachel: (impatient) For once couldn't you just- the school ball's tonight. Were going.

Jolene: I don't wanna go. (stepping back from the rack)

Rachel: (holding a dress) Your going.

Jolene: Couldn't we do something else? (casual)

Rachel: (slams dress back on rack, pushes the rack out of the way, facing Jolene) Suddenly we're friends again? You wanna hang with me huh? Listen the only reason I'm here is cuz your poor mama has gotten my family involved and forced me to come and help you get off your lazy a*s.

Jolene: What? But ... but you just helped my brothers stop fighting. Sam was beatin up Sam and you ... you stopped them. Damn honor and the army. They went to war. I saw it! Just a minute ago. (turns to the audience, hands spread) Chuck got blasted (hands forming a gun) And he fell. (hands to her heart) He died right then and there. Sam left and I don't know where he went. The other men took him. They took him I think! Have you seen him? (faces Rachel)

Rachel: (cautious) Sam came home from the war five years ago. Chuck's funeral was the week after. You were there Jolene.

Jolene: No it couldn't 've been! I was there only a minute ago! (giggling half heartedly)

Rachel: You weren't there. 

Jolene: Yes I was! Damn it I was! (stomps her foot, flabbergasted)

Rachel: Shh! If my mama hears you speaking that language she'll kill us all. (swats at Jolene frantically)

Jolene: ... sorry ... My mom don't like that word either ... 

Rachel: (picking up a dress slowly, looking away) ... Jolene when was the last time you saw me? ...

Jolene: Like I said I saw you before the war. Only moments ago. Right before I flew like a bird ova the war. You were getting Sam and Chuck apart because they were fighting. At first I forgot they were my brothers. (chuckles a little)

Rachel: Jolene ...

Jolene: (faces Rachel, curious)

Rachel: That was years ago. We haven't talked for over five years. (tearful) I know thats hard for your to understand. You stopped answering my calls right before Sam and Chuck left. You said you didn't want to be my friend.

Jolene: But I thought we were-

Rachel: We were. You just stopped talkin to me. (shrugs) Now I see why. (whispers)

Jolene: And why's that? I have no reason to not talk to ya. (oblivious)

Rachel: Your sick. (blurts out, holding a dress)

Jolene: No I'm not. Mom would have had the Pastor in day and night at my bedside if I was sick.

Rachel: She used to when I'd come over. She don't anymore cuz she's probably too embarrassed.

Jolene: Your a liar! (offended)

Rachel: C'mon now shush! lets just get dressed and have a nice night. (impatient)

Jolene: I wanna go home.

Rachel: Don't be mad-

Jolene: Where's my mom!

Rachel: Let me get Sam- (about to walk off stage left)

Jolene: (leaning on the rack) Who?

Rachel: (shakes her head and runs off stage)

Lights go down.

Sam's voice yells: Jolene just put the dress on! Rachel and I are waiting! Thank you Mrs. Barker for having her over.

Mrs. Barker: Oh its no problem! Jolene will always be welcomed here.

Girls walk on stage in dresses.

Rachel: She's finally ready! (annoyed, relieved)

Jolene: I don't want to go. (sighs, itching her dress)

Sam: Just get in the car. (snaps at Jolene, smiling at Mrs. Barker)

Mrs. Barker: Bye girls! Rachel be home before eleven I don't want to have to worry-

Rachel: I get it. By mom. (rolls eyes and waves to her mom who walks off stage)

Lights go off. Lights go up and there are tons of teenagers in nice clothing dancing. the stage is lit with neon lights. Music is blaring.
The music is so loud that everyone's voices are silent. You can't hear any words.

Jolene: (tries to talk but can't be heard, nervous)

Rachel: (waves Jolene to a corner as she talks to another girl)

Jolene: (watches everyone dancing, eyes focused)

Rachel: (dancing with some girls, looking at Jolene every once in a while)

Boy: (dancing provocatively on another girl)

Jolene: (interested in his dance moves)

Another boy: (offers her a hand)

Jolene: (smiles and takes his hand)

They go down stage center in front of the crowd of dancers.

The boy: (dances behind her sexually)

Jolene: (confused but goes along, funny face)

The boy: (into the moves)

Rachel: (looks over and giggles a bit with her friends, comes over, takes the boys attention and motions Jolene to watch how to dance, she dances sexually with the boy)

The boy: (amused, dancing)

Jolene: (innocent, nods and waits for her turn, dances)

Rachel: (takes her phone out and takes a picture)

Everyone continues to dance. Jolene is happy and having fun. Screen in the back drops and Sam shows up on the wall. Sam's phone goes off and his eyes go wide at the text sent by Rachel. Sam drops what he is doing and calls Rachel.

Rachel: (sees her phone go off and picks it up with a smirk)

The music is turned off as soon as Rachel puts the phone to her ear. Everyone except Jolene and the boy turn to Rachel robotically. Ensemble dancers are all on different levels as they stare at Rachel not moving. Jolene and the boy freeze in their dancing position, posed.
Light goes over Rachel.

Rachel: Yeah? (chuckling)

Light goes up on down stage right. Sam is standing there in front of the dance, looking at the audience.

Sam: Put Jolene on the phone. (anxious)

Rachel: Calm down don't have a cow. (playful)

Sam: What generation are you from? (a little pissed, being snarky)

Rachel: What do you want? (insulted)

Sam: Put Jolene on the phone.

Rachel: Your not her mother and you sure a shell can't boss me around.

Sam: Have a nice night Rachel. (hangs up)

Light goes off of Sam as he walks off the stage. Rachel puts her phone away and the lights go over everyone. Everyone unfreezes and continues to dance/party. Music comes back on. 212 by Azealia Banks plays.
Rachel and Jolene dance together. When the song gets to the chorus Rachel and Jolene come down stage center as everyone else spreads out on the stage and face the audience with Rachel and Jolene.
When the chorus starts everyone does a choreography in unison. (Choreography not yet finished)
At the end of the song Rachel hugs Jolene and Jolene just pats her with a smile. The boy Jolene danced with came over to Jolene and got down on one knee. Half the ensemble of children ran off stage and the rest screamed "will you marry me?" while the boy kneeling mouthed the words. 
Jolene fainted. Rachel left with the boy, ensemble ran off.
Blue lights cover the stage, projections shine water design across the stage.
Jolene is panting on the floor. Water droplets start falling on her as she grunts and twists and turns. Thunder starts.
A woman runs from upstage across the stage behind Jolene, pretending to look for someone.
A man comes on as the woman is halfway across and looks as well from the opposite end.
Sam comes on stage and sees Jolene and hugs her forcefully. Jolene smiles weakly at Sam. They embrace each other when the boy that proposed comes on stage. He grabs at Jolene and pulls her away. Sam gets angry and pushes the boy away. The boy looks at Sam and challenges him. Jolene tries to get in between the two but they both kick her at the same time.
Sam and the boy look at each other, both are very close to each other. The boy kisses Sam. Sam kisses back. Jolene watches them in shock, gagging in pain.
Rachel runs on with her mom both laughing. Thunder gets louder.
White Flag by Dido plays as the laughter get louder and the two boys continue kissing.
Jolene pushes herself downstage and hugs herself trying to stop the music from playing.
Sam and the boy dance together to the music.
Rachel and her mom join hands with ensemble members who have made a wall against the upstage wall. They are all whispering Jolene's name.
Jolene struggles to stop the pain.
Spotlight goes on downstage center on Jolene and downstage right where a woman stands facing the door on her left. The music dies out.

Woman: Jolene open the door!

Jolene: (holding small cap of something)

Woman: Open the f*****g door right now! (banging)

Jolene: (drops liquid into her eyes, grunts a little)

Woman: (stops banging, listens in)

Jolene: (giggles, goes to the door)

Woman: (hears her by the door, backs up)

Jolene: (opens door)

Woman: Finally you-

Jolene: (stabs her)

Woman: (blank face, holds her stomach, screams)

Everyone rewinds back to the Woman yelling at Jolene and banging.

Woman: Open the f*****g door right now! (banging)

Jolene: (drops liquid into her eyes, grunts a little)

Woman: (stops banging, listens in)

Jolene: (stands up)

Jolene does a ballet choreography that mimics the movement of pushing someone away. (yet to be choreographed)

Woman: (caresses the door, sad)

Jolene: (looks up, breathing heavily, smiles)

Woman: Jolene open up ...

Jolene: (casually opens the door) Hey mom. (smiles)

Woman: (walks in frantic)

Jolene: (backs up, chuckling) you ok?

Woman: (hugs her daughter)

Jolene: (hugs her back)

Woman: I'm sorry (still hugging but turns her back to the audience)

Jolene: (head on mom's shoulder looking at the audience, strict face) I know.

Stage goes dark.

© 2014 Ranger Nadaly


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! This was so intense and powerful. Wonderfully woven from scene to scene, each a piece of a much bigger story, of which the entire piece speaks of conditions that one might see in many people within their lives. I really like how you've added in the stage directions and how even some of them become intricate to the storyline itself.

The piece catches with curiosity, pulls one in with description and carries through with a strong and potent message. Nicely done!

Aaron

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Nadaly

10 Years Ago

Thank you, this is something I hope to be putting on further down the road.


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Wow! This was so intense and powerful. Wonderfully woven from scene to scene, each a piece of a much bigger story, of which the entire piece speaks of conditions that one might see in many people within their lives. I really like how you've added in the stage directions and how even some of them become intricate to the storyline itself.

The piece catches with curiosity, pulls one in with description and carries through with a strong and potent message. Nicely done!

Aaron

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Nadaly

10 Years Ago

Thank you, this is something I hope to be putting on further down the road.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 19, 2014
Last Updated on April 17, 2014

Author

Ranger Nadaly
Ranger Nadaly

Boston, MA



About
I am still figuring myself out more..

Writing
HigHER HigHER

A Screenplay by Ranger Nadaly