Is it Hard to Believe?

Is it Hard to Believe?

A Stage Play by Ranger Nadaly

Cast of Characters:

JANET - 16, Self cut hair, purpling bags under her eyes, a friend’s dirty shirt resting over most of her body, skinny jeans.

CHRIS - 32, shaved head, face resembling a youthful Bruce Willis, navy button up with black suit pants.


SETTING - Guidance Counselor’s office, rotting wood desk center stage with papers cluttering the top and the floor beneath the desk. Rolling chair stranded little farther upstage than the desk. Posters and class pictures are taped to the wall behind the desk, where the small room is surrounded except for one window upstage that opens the room to a glimpse of the hallway.


(JANET walks quickly into the room from stage left, swinging the door open in a panic. Quickly looks around the vacant room, and sits in one of the two chairs on the other side of the desk. CHRIS casually walks in on the phone, looking at distressed JANET sitting in front of his desk. CHRIS puts his phone away and closes the door)


JANET

(Turns to look at CHRIS)

Mr. Gendord sent me here. Once again I’ve-


CHRIS

(Interrupts JANET, putting himself into his rolling chair)

Once again you’ve disrupted the class…

(Rubs his eyes before taking a look at JANET)

What did you do?


JANET

(Pushes her body farther into her chair, trying to look less uncomfortable)

I don’t know.

(Shakes her head briskly)



CHRIS

(Looks out his window to the bustling kids passing by unaware of him)

Nothing huh? Well wouldn’t you like to know, that the phone call I just received was from     Mr. Gendord. This is the third time Janet and your not my only stud-


JANET

(Interrupts him)

I know I’m not your only student, I’m not an idiot. But its not my fault he blames me for things that I can’t help.


CHRIS

(Looks at her for awhile. Trying to recollect himself)

Never interrupt me again.


JANET

(Taken by surprise)

Sorry … I don’t enjoy this I swear. I just wanna go back to class.


CHRIS

(Chuckles half heartedly)

You’re a kid, the last thing you wanna do is sit through class. You’re not the first or the last kid to come in my office and play victim here. I’m on your side, but I need you to be honest with yourself. I’m not gonna defend a liar.


JANET

(Blinks away her tears)


CHRIS

(Confused, awkwardly puts the blinds down on the window)

Need some tissues …

(Grabs a tissue box from behind the desk)


JANET

(Shakes her head to herself, ignoring his offer)

Why would I wanna be taken out of class … everyday, where all my classmates laugh at me? I’m a joke. And the sad thing is I can’t NOT be sent out of class. My mom is ready to pull me out, I’m the only one keeping me here. I know it won’t change if I change schools.



CHRIS

(Puts tissue box down)

Is your mom upset by the curriculum or the teaching? If so i can give her a call and we can plan accordingly.


JANET

(Smiles weakly)

She loves this school. She went here as a kid.


CHRIS

Why is she trying to take you out of this school then? If you don’t mind explaining.


JANET

(Uses her sleeve to wipe her face)

I’m not haoppy thats all.


CHRIS

(Tries to act pleasant)

Who is happy at your age!


JANET

(Looks down at her hands)

Stability. People with something to hold on to are happy. And if they aren’t, then they should be.


CHRIS

(Nods slowly)

… You’re right.

(Beat)

Not many people appreciate what they have … But Janet we have a problem here. And it has nothing to do with you as a person it’s-


JANET

(Interrupts him again)

It has everything to do with who I AM. I’m the cry baby that’s always sent to her guidance counselor, I’m the adolescent that can’t seem to answer one question without screaming at the teacher, I’m the kid that their dad is too embarrassed to eat in public with because I’m bipolar.




CHRIS

(Furious)

I don’t care how you talk at home, but you will NOT joke about serious diseases in my office. This is a school. A very understanding school at that and we don’t accept any kind of negativity. You have disrespected me by interrupting me.

(Gets up, walks towards the door)


JANET

(Laughs hysterically)


CHRIS

(Stops, disturbed by her outburst)

Janet stop right now..


JANET

Go ahead call my mom.

(Shrugs, still giggling)


CHRIS

(Confused, phone in hand)

Excuse me?


JANET

Nothing. it’s just funny that you thought I was joking. I mean I don’t talk about how I feel … let alone openly admit … to really anyone except my parents. And for you to look at me and not believe me? To take me as a joke?

(Eyes are cold, looking right at CHRIS)

It’s hilarious.


CHRIS

(Shocked, quickly steps out of the room with the phone to his ear)


JANET

(Tears fall from her eyes, as she bites on her lip to stop from screaming. Blood starts to leak from her bottom lip. Enraged, she kicks her chair back and throws his papers off of the desk, slamming her hands into the desk. She hears voices quiet outside. She opens the blinds on the window and looks right at two boys, staring at her.)



CHRIS

(Runs into the room, phone still to his ear)

Get here now.

(Hangs up)

JANET STOP! Sit down now.


JANET

(Cries into her arms, hiding her face. Pushes herself off of the desk. the two boys have left by now)


CHRIS

(Pulls her face from her lap, forces her to look at him)


JANET

Why didn’t you believe me?!

CHRIS

I’m sorry. I didn’t know.


JANET

I don’t care.

(Puts her hands on her head)

I don’t wanna talk anymore …


CHRIS

(Looking around at the mess)

What do you wanna do?


JANET

(Watches him look around in astonishment, she sighs)

I wanna leave.


CHRIS

(Knows its too late to change her mind. Bends down to her level)

Ok.

(Holds her cold hands)

Your mom is on her way. We will figure this out.


JANET

(Looks at their hands)

No. My mom and I will figure it out.

© 2015 Ranger Nadaly


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this! The script gives us the basics, but the underlaying story becomes crystal clear when you envision the characters on stage and using body language and facial expressions to carry across the more powerful emotions. I think the big hook of this scene is how much a person can relate to struggling and almost helpless emotions of the girl.

Nice work! - Kate

Posted 9 Years Ago


I would love to see this on a big stage! I am an stage actress so I hope I could play Janet ;)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Nadaly

9 Years Ago

Thank you that means a lot especially with someone who works with pieces such as these. I love when .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 21, 2014
Last Updated on January 10, 2015

Author

Ranger Nadaly
Ranger Nadaly

Boston, MA



About
I am still figuring myself out more..

Writing
HigHER HigHER

A Screenplay by Ranger Nadaly