Sometimes the Bottle Hits You Back

Sometimes the Bottle Hits You Back

A Story by Rachel

The Menards contractor salesman left work at five o’clock. He had nothing at home for him anymore, so he took a detour. His arrival still was too soon. His only hope was that she came back.

He turned his head every which way, scanning the perimeters for her car. Her car wasn’t in the drive and the garage door wasn’t up. There weren’t any bikes or toys laying out in the yard. Once parked, he waited in the truck, putting off entering what he used to call a home. It would be the seventh night he had spent alone, so he already knew how it would go. He’d walk in; expecting everything to be the same, and his heart would race when he realized for the millionth time in that week that nothing was the same except that he was still alone.

Like a ghost in a graveyard he drifted to the porch, where his hands fumbled with the doorknob that he used to open so thoughtlessly.

The kitchen didn’t look the same. It didn’t even smell the same. There wasn’t anything on the stove. No welcoming kisses or hugs. He missed all of the things he used to resent. As he walked to the fridge where the goodbye note was pinned, the floor creaked.

He laughed out loud, but inside his heart imploded.

Never had he noticed all the noises the house made. It was emptier than ever, but it was far louder. It was funny how silence amplified all other sounds; he could almost hear his heart break. Not just that, the house bounced memories off each wall, but he had no shield to reflect the attack.

After a moment of hesitation he slid the magnet off the note and he cradled it in his hands. His bottom lip quivered and his hands were shaking, but sat down and forced his eyes to reread the note�"the only thing left of what his life used to be.

The apology that began the note was meaningless. The reasons it wouldn’t�"hadn’t�"been working were evident, but those had nothing to do with why she left him. His crazy, irregular work hours were only a small part of it. “We can work this out,” he had always insisted.

They never did get around to that.

His jaw hardened when he read over the words about the alcohol. His throat tightened when he read about what love is, what marriage should be, and what all of that used to be to them.

That had changed too.

“We’ve come to realize we don’t have to put up with you. Don’t worry about me. But I will always love you. Adieu…maybe,” the last line said. He crumpled the note into a ball and tossed it across the table. Then he lowered his head and cried.

“If only she could see me now. I’ve stopped. There’s no bottle in my hand. We can work this out.” But he could feel the longing for the alcohol stronger than ever.

I’ve got to get these thoughts out of my head, he thought, racking his brain for anything left of his old life that he could hold onto. His dog immediately came to mind. When was the last time I saw Rex?

Rex had been gone (or overlooked maybe) for the past week that his owner had spent losing his mind. As that owner made his way out back, he kicked two empty metal bowls aside.

“Rex!” He peered inside the doghouse and saw that it was empty.

Rex was usually on a chain, he remembered, so he followed the links in a loop through the yard, though the tall grass made it hard to find at first. His nose suddenly became aware of Rex before his eyes had, and when he glanced behind the doghouse, he saw his dog. Insects crawled over its flesh, slowly eating what was left of it.

The Menards contractor salesman’s breathing slowly ceased.

© 2013 Rachel


Author's Note

Rachel
I have asked a few people their opinions and with the advice they have given me, I have revised it! I would love to hear feedback, criticism, and any advice you may have to offer! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is superb! it kept me griped throughout the whole story and you told it very well. You have a very descriptive talent here. and it seems to flow naturally. i do agree with your Feature, their could be more said. However, I think the piece stands on its own merit. Excellent Story

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!! :) That makes me feel a lot more confident about my writing. :)
POETIC SOUL 2013

10 Years Ago

i honestly wish i had your talent I am horrible with story writing. Great job!!
Rachel

10 Years Ago

You are definitely not horrible!! Thank you though. :) I have soo much more space to improve!!



Reviews

This is superb! it kept me griped throughout the whole story and you told it very well. You have a very descriptive talent here. and it seems to flow naturally. i do agree with your Feature, their could be more said. However, I think the piece stands on its own merit. Excellent Story

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!! :) That makes me feel a lot more confident about my writing. :)
POETIC SOUL 2013

10 Years Ago

i honestly wish i had your talent I am horrible with story writing. Great job!!
Rachel

10 Years Ago

You are definitely not horrible!! Thank you though. :) I have soo much more space to improve!!
I liked the way you have done the groundwork of the story.
I also feel like Jordan that it can't stop here.
Rather,it may be a prelude of a lovely novel.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!! :D I plan on taking this advice as soon as I find a break to do so. :)
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
Please make best use of the wonderful opportunity.
Oh I don't think that is the ending at all. I think there is more to be said, or at the very least more to be clarified. Did the salesman die because he found that he had neglected his dog until it had died or was he merely gasping? I think this is a really interesting, kind of creepy story and it would benefit from a open ending similar to the one you have, I would just suggest utilizing crisper syntax and diction. Very good work, I was really impressed. :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!(: That is great advice! I will definitely work with that on this story as soon as.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 21, 2013
Last Updated on October 21, 2013

Author

Rachel
Rachel

IN



About
My favorite author is John Steinbeck. I'm fifteen! more..

Writing