If There's No End There Can Be No Beginning

If There's No End There Can Be No Beginning

A Story by RavenBlack

The sound of silence supplanted the atmosphere as Britain came to the reality of what had just been reported. Prince Henry, the beloved eldest son of King Charles, had been assassinated during the Commonwealth Tour, a day after his father told the world that he would be the one to succeed him. King Charles was terribly ill and unfit to rule, so it was inevitable that someone had to take his place and who better than his popular son, the 'Man of the People'.

The anti-monarchists were named as suspects to Henry's death. They hated the royals and wanted them eradicated so that the government could take full control of Britain. In the past they'd started riots and petitions against them. Would they go as far as to killing a royal to accomplish their goal?

Suddenly the heavens began crying heavy tears that slammed against Henry's coffin as it was being lowered into his grave. His family watched with grieving eyes, wearing death, some more confidently than others.

Elizabeth, Henry's sister, cried uncontrollably, her tears marking her face with black mascara streaks. She moved her damp brown hair out of her face, revealing her blue eyes as she threw a rose in his grave.

William the youngest kept a straight face in an attempt to keep his composure, he didn't want to show weakness in public, his father always told him: 'a man is not a man if he cries shamelessly in public'. So he stood stiff and stared calmly as threw a rose in his grave.

After the burial they were escorted threw the mourning crowd that lingered outside the graveyard and into their black Bentley Mulsanne. When they got back to Buckingham Place, King Charles summoned them to the throne room. On a small platform at the back of the room, King Charles was sat on his golden throne.

He coughed violently, mimicking that of a barking dog, William and Elizabeth looked at him with concerned eyes.

  "Since you are both twins, you both are viable for the throne," King Charles stated and Elizabeth raised her head high, wearing a victorious smile as if she knew the outcome. She was the popular child after Henry, Britain adored her. "But in the spirit of tradition, I've chosen William as my heir."

Elizabeth lowered her head in disappointment as William bowed gratefully to his father.

  "Thank you, Father, I will not disappoint you," William said.

  "Be sure that you don't, I have a legacy to uphold," King Charles warned.

***

In the afternoon, King Charles, William and Elizabeth went out on the balcony and greeted the crowd below. Thousands of excited hands waved at them, swaying their arms back and forth like wheat in the wind.

A servant lowered the mic stand so that King Charles could speak, the crowd looked at him with piteous eyes as he was wheeled onto the balcony in his wheelchair. He took hold of the mic and spoke to the crowd, assuring them that the death of Henry will be accounted for and that Britain will move past this. Little did he know, the stars were aligned against him.

On a distant roof a sniper was setting up their rifle, their attire was black and their face covered with a Guy Fawkes mask. Today wasn't November the 5th but there sure as hell would be a bonfire!

  "Henry is gone, there's no bringing him back but Henry wouldn't want this nation to cripple because of his death but recover from it," King Charles proclaimed and the crowd roared.

The sniper loaded the bullet into the rifle and took aim, their breath steady and their posture strong.

  "Hence, I have made the decision..."

The sniper's finger hovered over the trigger. "Goodbye and goodnight."

  "To name-"

King Charles gagged as the bullet flung him backwards causing the wheelchair to crash to the floor, he clung to his chest, his hands plastered with blood.

  "Father!" Elizabeth screamed and he touched her cheek wiping her tears away, painting her face with death before his arm gave up and dropped to the ground.

Her eyes widened in shock, he was dead but she wasn't given enough time to come to the reality of it as she and William were hastily pulled back inside. They were escorted to the safe room in the basement of the palace where they'd wait till it was safe.

  "It was those f*****g monarchists, wasn't it!" William cursed at one of the guards.

  "There's a possibility, yes," the guard confirmed. "But we're looking into it."

When William noticed that Elizabeth was crying, he opened his arms and she flung herself into his embrace.

  "I promise you Elizabeth," William said stroking her hair as she cried into his chest. "On my life, I will not rest until I find who's killing our family and then, I'll kill them myself."

***

Following King Charles death, William and Elizabeth hired a group of private investigators who investigated the deaths of Henry and King Charles. They helped in the investigation in anyway possible, they didn't feel comfortable sitting in the palace waiting for answers.

  "I've got something!" one of them exclaimed and William and Elizabeth scurried to his side.

He pointed to his computer and showed them security footage of an anti-monarchist politician meeting with a masked man in an alley, giving him a black briefcase.

  "What's in the briefcase?" William asked.

  "Were not sure yet," the man admitted nervously.

William grabbed his shirt and slammed him against the wall. "I didn't hire you to hear 'not sure' or 'maybe', I hired you to get answers!"

The man stared fearfully at William who's eyes were filled with raging fire, if you glared any longer he'd burn him and the whole building into a crisp. Elizabeth tugged his sleeve as a warning that he should stop and he immediately let him go.

  "Excuse him, he's just tired," Elizabeth apologized.

***

Then late one evening, they got a call from one of the private investigators saying that an anonymous source has information they'd want to hear. So they meet up with him at the palace and he drives them to an alley which leads to an empty square. Cautiously, they walk through the alley, Elizabeth's arm looped tightly around William's. When they get to the square no one is there.

  "Hello?" William calls. "Are you there?"

Suddenly, they hear the sound of a gun being loaded behind them. William swerves on his heel to see the private investigator pointing the gun at him.

  "I'm here," he says.

William puts his hand in front of Elizabeth and pushes her behind him. "Who are you?"

  "I'm merely a belief holding a gun at the non-believers."

  "And what do you believe?"

  "In a new era, one were you do not rule."

William sniggers. "And who will replace us the government?"

Suddenly William feels an excruciating pain in his back, his eyes widen in horror as he crashes to his knees and Elizabeth towers over him, her lips curled into a devilish smile.

  "Me," Elizabeth states. "Come on brother, didn't you swear on your life that you wouldn't rest till you found our parents murder? Well you found me, I'm just fulfilling your promise." 

She began violently stabbing him until he was motionless and drowning in his own crimson pool. 

  "Such a waste," she said disappointed as she closed his eyes.

The private investigator bowed. "Long live the Queen."

***

At William's funeral Elizabeth shed fake tears and delivered an feigned eulogy about how much she loved him and how life without him will be incomplete. But inside she was dying of laughter, rolling on the floor like a dog for a treat, she deserved one for fooling her family and the whole world.

Her coronation was held a few days later and in front of the world she was crowned, Queen of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

© 2017 RavenBlack


Author's Note

RavenBlack
Honesty criticism please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Raven. Im not a writing expert, so bear with me if i don't use the right terminologies. I feel like your story is one that could have been captivating, but wasn't well laid out. The first few lines read more like a report than an introduction to a story. There were also some grammar mistakes i think you should look at. I think the story would have played out nicely if it was more animated and the sentences flowed together Instead of being seperated. I hope you find this helpful

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
1 Review
Added on March 12, 2017
Last Updated on March 12, 2017