Cookies from Home

Cookies from Home

A Story by Raymond Federle
"

Cookies from Home

"

Meredith remembered the first time she saw Eric in his uniform. He had just graduated from basic and was home on leave. He was a tall, cool glass of water to a thirsty woman. Wide in the shoulders, dark hair, sexy butt and a slight Southern drawl. That Southern drawl was what really caught her attention and turned her on. It was love at first sight for both of them from the moment their eyes met and they had a whirlwind romance. A wedding and 9 months later Jainey was born.
 


She was the apple of her Daddy's eye and there was a connection between both of them from the moment Jainey was born. As soon as they put her into Eric's arms she stopped crying. She never cried when Daddy was holding her. Six years of happiness and joy where to pass quickly for the family. Then in March of 2003 Eric was deployed to Iraq. There were a few sad moments and some tears but in the end everyone knew they would all be together soon. Meredith and Jainey were familiar with the routine of Daddy leaving for extended periods of time but this would be his longest and furthest deployment.




Jainey decided that she wanted to bake Daddy some cookies and send them to him as a surprise. Eric's packages from home were famous in his unit and everyone always looked forward to him getting one because they knew a little taste of home would soon find it's way into their hands, even if it was just a cookie. But for these men it was more than that. It was a symbol of home, love, family and Eric was not a selfish man and was happy to share this with the men.



Jainey made oatmeal cookies. Mostly all by herself with Mom only helping when it came to baking them. She wrapped each one individually because Mom said that would keep them fresh. Jainey made a special one for her Daddy. She always made a special heart shaped one for Daddy so he would know this was her heart to him forever. With the cookies done and packaged, the 'official procession' to the car and to the post office to send it commenced.



With the package sent, Jainey and Meredith started out for home just a few short blocks away. They say Meredith probably never saw the drunk driver that hit them. The vehicle had traveled over 65 miles and hour into the passenger side of the car where Meredith and Jainey, behind her, were sitting. They also say that they both died, practically instantly from the sheer impact alone.



Eric was in action when the accident happened. He returned to the base, debriefed and was getting ready to go clean up, get some chow and catch up on some well deserved rack time. That's when the company CO pulled him into the office and gave him the news.



Eric's world came crashing down around him. He was split in two. His pain and loss competing for dominance over his sense of duty, to his country and his men. In the end the pain and suffering won out. In this moment of weakness he was despondent enough to think about taking his own life. That's when the package from home arrived. With each fold of the package he unwrapped a fresh wave of emotion crashed against his heart.



With the package opened, he sat there holding the heart shaped cookie and staring at it. His resolve broke.



For the first time since he got the news tears welled up in his eyes and slowly slid down his cheeks to the dusty floor.



But Eric did not take his own life.



He walked around the base passing out cookies he had received from home to the men.



All except the heart shaped cookie. That one was his.....forever.

© 2014 Raymond Federle


Author's Note

Raymond Federle

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

sad but beautiful. short and poignant. very well written indeed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Raymond Federle

9 Years Ago

THANK YOU 4 UR REVIEW! :)
"With each fold of the package he unwrapped a fresh wave of emotion crashed against his heart.


With the package opened, he sat there holding the heart shaped cookie and staring at it. His resolve broke."

A sad story indeed. Very emotive...:)...................

Posted 9 Years Ago


My friend. A powerful and sad story. To be away and lose a love one. A heartache never forgotten. I lost Father and Grandfather when I was deployed. You left the reader with a deep sadness. Thank you for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Raymond Federle

9 Years Ago

Yes, this is one of my favs although it is very sad. Thanks for your review! :)
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Not at all the kind of story I was expecting, but a great, albeit sad, read. - well written and certainly emotive, Ray.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Alright, that was a sad one. But i liked it, although i’m a total supporter of happy endings. It’s all about hope, love and family. Nice work. However next time, I want a happily ever after…please (puppy eyes)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very poignant story of loss...the little girl baking cookies for her daddy...and the heart shapped one...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Beautiful yet poignant tale and your story telling was marvelous, felt the pain and sadness...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

592 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 21, 2014
Last Updated on December 20, 2014

Author

Raymond Federle
Raymond Federle

Cumberland, MD



About
I've always been a jack of all trades. I've been a poet, author, social commentator, comedian, online gamer, pod cast host, and Youtuber. I've had a class A license to drive semi truck over the road. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos


Cyber Girl Cyber Girl

A Poem by s y e