Anthems of Angst

Anthems of Angst

A Story by RealFake
"

A short story, work in progress, about a sci-fi situation that I have no clue where it is heading. By me.

"


Lush red roses sit on the window sill basking in sunlight that is streaming in from the open window, the sun shines in and you can see beautiful little dust particles dancing in the ray of light like tiny fairies. Outside the gentle wind rustles the green leaves atop the tree branches. Little birds chirp their wonderfully innocent song. Their sweet tune bounces back and forth among the treetops echoing to and fro, people wander about aimlessly meandering and chatting with anyone who will listen. A little girl skips down the path, every now and then stopping to observe an object on the ground, or to chase a little bird or squirrel a block or two and then run back to her CareTakers arms. Suddenly six loud gunshots ring out, disturbing the serenity of the moment. the shots remind you of just how temporary beauty is. Sharp screams as the sky turns dark and the light drains from the area, the birds stop their song and scatter into the sky, the dust settles making everything look dirty, and suddenly the only part of the rose that you see is its thorns. Two more shots, followed by a chorus of screams and there I stand a simple, undisturbed, silent observer to chaos. I watch it all, glory and gore, I watch blood spill, I hear last words being said, final breaths being drawn in, tears being shed, and another heartless murderer, probably a member of They (more on that later), continues to kill and harm and tear apart the pretend unity that we are tricked into believing that we have. It is truly a horrific and yet simply complicated.

So I told you about this, now I tell you about me, or what They want me to think is “me.” Avery Williams, that’s the name that my CareTaker, Emilee, gave me, I am 16 years old, and though I am known as Avery, They know me as 0563928. Two days from now, when I turn 17, I will receive another number at the end of my name, I will be 0563928 and another number. I was known as 0 until I turned 10, back then our society was ruled by Them, and over our community loudspeaker the announcer for Them, spoke clearly; “Personal Member 0 please report to Center 87, on the north eastern entrance. Personal Member 0, please report to Center 87.” I remember that at first I was worried that I was in trouble, but then a dark haired woman with salt and pepper hair told me that it was okay, that I would now be Personal Member 05. In the years that followed I received 6, 3, 9, 2, and 8.  

When I was 12 years old They took over, and everything changed, all I had left of Before was my CareTaker, and my numbers. Then when I turned 13 I got the number 3 and I lost Emilee. They are an organization that changed the way we lived. T.H.E.Y stands for The Hellish Extreme Youth, otherwise known as the people who rule our society, Soly. S.O.L.Y or Society Of Lost Youth, or Unit 18 Society 46. As I mentioned, we used to be controlled by Them, The Historical Empire’s Magistrate, a groups of 30 somethings who ruled Soly, but eventually were overthrown by They and where exiled Sofia. Now the age limit for members of Soly is 26, I have 9 more years, than I am transported to Sofia, Society Of Found Intellectual Adults. Sofia will be shockingly peaceful compared to Soly, given that it is ruled by Aftr, Absolute Future Transformative Rulers. All members of Aftr are children of Them, but more distant and often quiet, especially compared to They. Aftr is a group of 40 year olds who wish to unite Soly and Sofia, and of course Save, Small Adamant Valuable Entities, the society of young ones ages newborn to five years old.

Look at me! I have gotten all off topic, anyways, gunshots and war and bombs and blood happen six times a day, often at least twice before lunch. Absolute chaos is an everyday activity, at least while we are under the rule of They.  Honestly, I’ve gotten used to constant insecurity that comes with living here, my sense of security left with Emilee and now I have grown accustomed to it. Once when I was 15 I saw a girl who looked like Emilee and my heart yearned for the comfort of a CareTaker who will help you when you cannot help yourself. I miss there always being someone bigger to bring down all the things I cannot reach or offering a shoulder to cry on when things get tough or I just can’t take the uncertainty in Soly. What bothers me most is the lack of mothers and fathers, it doesn’t feel right. Not at all. I mean from the ATs (ancient texts)  that I read I know that every child should grow up with a mother and father. They need a guiding figure to help them travel life’s road.

So anyways, let me snap out of my wishful thinking and go back to the present moment and what is happening now. So just like usual there is some sort of hellish chaos outside and here I am sitting serenely on my ComTab explaining it all to you. Now the insanity has died down a bit and I am watching the MedTeam for our unit help the wounded. I realize they must be paid a lot, they get paid per person helped, so because of the crap going on here it is obviously a well paying job. Anyways, I think I better go to evening meal, try and keep up while my ComTab keeps track of my adventures in the dining hall.

I march into the hall after walking the long dimly lit interior path that leads from the PodHomes into the halls and continue along it until I reach the air tight capsule labeled HALL OF DINING. Which I think is very to the point. I knock twice and hand the guard a Nova as he buzzes me into the small decontamination capsule. After a brief spray down I enter the dining hall and head for the food line. I scan my mark under the beam.

“Welcome to Evening Meal Personal Member 0563928, what is your dietary plan for this evening?” The disembodied voice asks.

“Savory, low carb.” I speak into the mic.

“That fits your personal data, thank you for dining, please proceed to food desk.”

“Disconnect.” I say, then I walk off to the desk to scan and speak once again.

“Hello Personal Member 0563928, please proceed to Food Receive Line.”

“Out.” I reply and march down the steadily growing line to collect my food. It’s a long and grueling process just to get the everyday thing I need.

As I stumble down the line and eventually get my found I find myself wondering why our society got to this state. I mean I know The History that we are all taught in Primary but I get the feeling some important details were left out of it. I sometimes wander into the depths of my mind and ponder these random things. I walk onward and take a seat next to my only friend in Soly, Zorya.

“Hey.” I say in a monotone

“Howdy.” Z replies in her thick drawl. No one really knows how Z ended up with it.

“I see you convinced They to allow you a lot of sweets.” I say glancing at her carb and sugar filled plate.

“Oh no, I just paid Cady to swap with me.” She says with a smirk.

Cady is our other friend, she’s more Z’s friend than mine but we get along.

© 2016 RealFake


Author's Note

RealFake
Ignore grammar and spelling.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
Added on April 13, 2016
Last Updated on April 13, 2016
Tags: dark, morbid, emo, amazing

Author

RealFake
RealFake

NYC, NY



About
Im a teen writer and artist in NYC I hope you enjoy my pieces. some writing here is from my friend Hayley, if its dirty then its hers, just fyi. more..

Writing