Fear is a hooded man...

Fear is a hooded man...

A Story by Brandon Barker
"

I had a dream the other night, one that I have had a very hard time making sense of, inspired me to write about it :) Enjoy!

"

            I feel the walls of worry closing in, a fate worse than death, yet understandable through the book of a child. The flow of time being reversed as I live the fears of my past and compare them to the dreams of my future, just to stop in the present and dwindle on the thought of a lost cause. A shot rings out amidst the confusion, I look down to see rose red clouding my shirt, I fall off my white horse and jolt awake as I hit the floor; another dream chased yet stopped with a wound of doubt. I walk to the kitchen to quench my thirst, I open the cabinet to grasp a glass, I look down and am atop a horse, the same horse I was on in my dream. I quickly duck as I hear a shot ring out, I look atop to see the refrigerator, I am in my kitchen, yet living my dream.

            I must be out of my head, my fears have been avoided yet seem to haunt my not, I clothe myself and set out for the city. I sprint down the stairs to level 1, I open the door to be walking out of my bedroom. . . Here I am back atop my apartment building, I frantically open the front door and run down the stairs to level 2. Running down the hall I decide to jump into the pool from the second story, as I fly amidst the air from the shattered window of hope I hit the water. I open my eyes and kick to the surface, just to find myself climbing out of my bath tub. I scream in frustration as I run towards the front door, I open it and see a black horse running towards me with blood red eyes, I quickly jump out of the way and land in a patch of grass.

            Gazing up I see a blistering fire climb atop a snow-white castle, I hear frantic screams for help as I stroll towards the gate. I see a man dressed in cloth atop a staircase begging for mercy, I walk to this man and bid his request; the man replies with nothing, he turns his head to me and his mouth is sewn shut, his eyes black as night. I suddenly hear a voice that whispers "why try?" I turn my head to hear a shot ring out, I look down and see rose read clouding my chest, I fall to my knees and awake atop my apartment building. the sky is red with blood, a man dressed in a black cloak stands before me, he turns to show me his face, but nothing is there, I then awake to me standing in front of a mirror.

            I shatter the mirror and turn away, "this is not real" I turn back and the mirror is no longer shattered, the words "Do not deny the truth" appear before my eyes, the cloaked man appears within the mirror and reaches out to me. I glance to my right and run towards the balcony, I read a prayer and jump off the ledge, as I hit the ground I awake in my bed. I read my clock, "5am" I look outside and see nothing, the sky is black and there are no city lights to be seen, I hear a creak and duck behind my couch, a bullet lands beside where I once was; from the bullet spews a liquid that begins turning the room black as night. Peeking from my refuge I see the hooded man holding a barrel to where I crouch, I turn back as another shot lands where I was, more blackness appears and starts spreading amongst the room.

            The room is darkened, I stand before the man in the cloak, he looks up and glares at me with an empty hood. I beg of him his purpose, he un-hoods himself, a face identical to mine emerges from the blackness, it says "Your fear is my purpose". He raises a gun and I hear the shot, I awake in my bed gasping for air, I hear the city cars, the children playing, my alarm going off. My phone rings, I answer it, the voice of the hooded man speaks to me

            "Forget me not, I am always with thee"

            I set the phone down to hear a creek from the other room, I run to the door and jump out of it to see my wife, she looks at me with the beautiful eyes of curiosity and says

            "How did you sleep love?"

© 2014 Brandon Barker


Author's Note

Brandon Barker
Ignore any and all grammar problems, I know there are many

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on July 10, 2014
Last Updated on July 10, 2014
Tags: Fear, Death, Destiny

Author

Brandon Barker
Brandon Barker

Rancho Cucamonga, CA, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
My name is Brandon Barker, I am 16, I enjoy writing about my life, and I enjoy poetry greatly; this is the first time I have openly posted my writing on a website where people will actually read it :) more..

Writing