Poisoned - Prequel to Dark Desires

Poisoned - Prequel to Dark Desires

A Story by One Last Drop...
"

Love is a poison...Robyn is dying inside when Kain, her only love and fiancee, leaves her. But is the antidote to such a deadly poison just as bad?

"

Some refer to love as a gift, others as a sweet, warm feeling. Some may even go so far as to refer to it as an addiction of sorts, although a good one. No one refers to is as deadly, dangerous, capable of killing a person slowly. No one, that is, bar me…

 

At first, Kain was everything I wanted in a man. He was handsome, kind, and he was devoted to me. He made me feel wanted, loved. I hadn’t ever felt that as strongly as I did when I was with him. I was in love, for the first time in my life. It made me weak, vulnerable to hurt, open to pain. But I didn’t think of that; Kain had just proposed to me. We’d only being dating for eight months. I was twenty-three, and the most gorgeous, devoted guy I had ever met wanted to marry me…

 

I said yes.

 

Gail, my ‘best friend’, was ecstatic. She claimed she had known all along that Kain would propose eventually; I knew she was bluffing. As usual, she had spent the last six months travelling Europe spending Dear Daddy’s money. She hated his guts…and every other part of him. But she liked his money. So when I called her to ask if she wanted to be a bridesmaid, she was overly excited. I was bitter inside. She only wanted the chance to beg more money of her rich father: she didn’t really care about me. But I put on a brave face and looked forward to the day I would become Robyn French.

 

The days passed quickly, and it was only when Kain didn’t return one of my very infrequent phone calls that I began to feel afraid, that something was wrong…I just didn’t know what.

 

A week before the wedding, which I wasn’t sure would still continue, Kain showed up on my doorstep.

“Kain? Where have you been? I was so worried about you!” I said as he hovered in the hallway. I frowned slightly. “Is something wrong…?”

“I can’t marry you, Robyn, I'm sorry,” he said abruptly. I was stunned into silence for a moment.

“Wha…what?”

“I can’t marry you,” he repeated. There was something wrong with his appearance, but I couldn’t tell what. I was in shock. Why was he saying this? Why now? Hell, why had he even proposed if he couldn’t marry me? But none of these questions mattered. All that mattered was the feeling that I had been stabbed through the heart. I was bleeding inside.

“I know it's hard,” Kain whispered in my ear, sliding the ring off my finger as he did so. Then he was gone, and I was left standing in my doorway, so shocked my tears couldn’t break free to roll down my cheeks like my heart had broken to pieces and rolled down my body to the ground to be crushed underfoot.

 

It didn’t help that the next morning I received a phone call to inform me that Kain had been killed in a car crash early that morning. I had to go confirm his identity. I didn’t want to, seeing as the b*****d had smashed my heart into little pieces only hours earlier, but I went regardless of my broken heart and hurt feelings. Indeed, it was my ex-fiancée whose body was mutilated, bloody and trapped inside the twisted four-wheel-drive. I spent the rest of the day crying on the sofa, in shock, not knowing what to do. I felt like I was dying inside by inches, like I was poisoned. How ironic. Love was a poison. Of course, there was no antidote. If there was, it would be just as deadly…but I didn’t care. Either one, the poison or the antidote, would finish me off.

© 2008 One Last Drop...


Author's Note

One Last Drop...
Now go on to Dark Desires if you haven't read it!!!! LOL nah, just let me know what you think...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm afraid I haven't read Dark Desires but I'm definitely going to as soon as I finish this review! This prequel is quite well written! You really pulled quite well on the heart strings and I can feel Robyn's pain. *Sniff*

The one suggestion I would have would be to stretch this out. It's a bit rushed and you have everything go rather quickly. While you do play on her (and the reader's) emotions you could do so a lot more thoroughly if we saw her making wedding preparations, choosing how everything would be just-so, and then saw the sadness and perhaps anger right after he dumped her and how those emotions changed after he died. In short I'd recommend you play things out a little more, especially with more illustrations of her emotional state at various points of the story.

Other than that excellent job! I'm greatly anticipating Dark Desires!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm afraid I haven't read Dark Desires but I'm definitely going to as soon as I finish this review! This prequel is quite well written! You really pulled quite well on the heart strings and I can feel Robyn's pain. *Sniff*

The one suggestion I would have would be to stretch this out. It's a bit rushed and you have everything go rather quickly. While you do play on her (and the reader's) emotions you could do so a lot more thoroughly if we saw her making wedding preparations, choosing how everything would be just-so, and then saw the sadness and perhaps anger right after he dumped her and how those emotions changed after he died. In short I'd recommend you play things out a little more, especially with more illustrations of her emotional state at various points of the story.

Other than that excellent job! I'm greatly anticipating Dark Desires!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 18, 2008

Author

One Last Drop...
One Last Drop...

Perth, Australia



About
Hi! Here's a little bit about me... I'm almost 20, studying to be a high-school English teacher. I work as a swimming teacher whenever possible, and I write a lot of fanfiction. My favourite mus.. more..

Writing