Starfire (Starfire #1)

Starfire (Starfire #1)

A Story by T. Cameron
"

One Magick Assassin.One Goddess Incarnation. One Royal Guard. One Archer. One Little Girl. Five girls, all with abilities of their own must push aside their pasts and differences to rebirth the only

"
I've always adored the idea of a masquerade; a time where everyone's identities are shielded, a well kept secret. Although it sure as hell made my job a lot harder to carry out.
I could feel Cas's blue eyes on me from wherever he was, somewhere camouflaged in Earl's large ballroom, following his younger sister's movements. Half of my freckled face was concealed behind a gold mask, and copper curls were perfectly placed to fall out of my sophisticated up-do. The flowing red ballgown I was wearing made me look like a bloody Cinderella, but that was no matter, I needed every assistance possible to get the attention of the right people.
Across the dance floor, the Earl Fuoco and his family; his loving wife, his three children. One, a young woman around the same age as I, with flowing silvery blonde hair that cascaded down her back. Her ice blue eyes were observing the guests and her hands were gripping the skirts of her deep blue ballgown as if she could sense something that was off. Next to her, was her elder brother; a man no more than five years older than I. With dark brown hair and eyes that matched those of his sister, he stood tall and proud, like a natural born leader. Next to him, was his twin; nearly everything symmetrical. Except where the previous had their sister's eyes, the latter had dark black eyes, the kind that looked purely satanic.
It would be a pleasure to finally end him.
The black eyed Fuoco regarded me with an intrigued glance and smiled, excusing himself from his family to make his way across the dance floor. I could feel my brother's gaze harden as his protective instincts burned a hole in my back. He wasn't at all in favour of the plan I had concocted, in fact it made him utterly disgusted. But time had been scarce, and this was our best option.
Underneath my skirts, my thighs were covered with the holsters that contained minimal weapons; on my left thigh was the fire dagger I had obtained last summer on a mission in the Breathless Desert, and on my right was the stiletto blade Cas got for me when I turned seventeen a few months ago. Wrapped around my ankle was the charm bracelet that usually rested on my wrist, it contained eleven magick charms that aid in battle.
The dark haired man was now standing a foot away extending his hand out to me. An invitation to dance. Accepting the offer, we made our way to the centre of the crowd, all eyes upon us. The orchestra began to play a marvellous ensemble that sent every couple into twirls and slow dance steps. It was hypnotizing. His black eyes never broke with mine, and I couldn't help but grin; I had been waiting four years for this night.
The song ended, and so did our dance, but he still held my hand in his, grinning a sickly grin at me. He jerked his head in the direction of the secluded corridor. Another invitation. Laughing, I nod my head.
"Allow me to lead first, your Honourable." I say, my voice low as the title reluctantly bit through my mouth. "It could be quite scandalous for you otherwise."
His eyes glistened like the clearest night sky. "Tell me who you are. " He inquired curiously. I shook my head, pulling my hand from his grasp.
"Wait three minutes, then follow. " Were my only instructions before I abandoned him in the center of the dance floor.
Rounding the corner of the empty corridor, I drew the front of my skirts back like a curtain, making my arsenal accessible. The under layers of my skirts are a flame orange, blending into my top layer like a tail of wildfire. Quickly, I fastened my charm bracelet back around my left wrist, the red heart charm was rapidly losing is colouring. D****t. That means that the seduction magick was running low. I had to make this quick.
The green carpet matched complemented the marble walls, and along the far wall was a twenty foot portrait of the Fuoco family. Seated in the chair was the lady of the house, about seven years prior. Long brown hair twisted into a precise braid, olive skin and the striking blue eyes that she gave to two of her children. She was lovely, in a completely separate way from her daughter. The earl was standing behind her, a hand on her shoulder looking utterly in love with his wife and children. This was before the siege, before the battlefield turned his blonde hair to gray, before his amber eyes held shadows that no man ever should. It was haunting.
"Now will you tell me your name? " His voice said softly from behind me. I heard the footsteps signalling that he was drawing nearer.
"Now Charles." I said, my voice void of the captivating compulsion I had previously spoken to him with, along with it any respect I feigned for him. "Did your mother never tell you not to dance with the devil?"
"I don't understand-" He said reaching forward to grip onto my arm, cursing as he ripped his hand away, the heat from my body temperature scorching. "Wha-"
Turning around, I let him see what I had been concealing all evening. My blue eyes were rimmed with flames, my fiery hair had turned into actual fire and my entire body was encompassed by an orange and red aura. The being of death. His black eyes grew wide, and began to stumble backwards, ramming into a magick shield of air.
"Do you know who I am?" I growl, my voice almost inhumane. He nods his head. "Say it."
"Red Threat." I smile ferally, snatching my blades from the holsters; I throw the stiletto into his thigh. A distraction. As he cries out in pain, I reached forward with the fire blade, ramming it into his heart, igniting it so that my magick incinerates him from the inside out.
Just before he lost consciousness, I stop to watch the horror and pain in his eyes. Lowering my mouth to his ear, I whisper. "A lya gorgia." This is for my family.
And I watched as Charles's body evaporated into ash and his soul was lost to the Fire Realm

© 2014 T. Cameron


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice first chapter, lots of action and I am feeling that I want to know more.
Here are a few things I would change. You can choose to ignore my comments of course.
When is chapter 2 available?

"The green carpet matched complemented." - remove one of these words.
"and along the far wall was a twenty foot portrait of the Fuoco family." - I can't picture which wall so I'm distracted. Perhaps simply say "The green carpet complemented the marble walls, and framed a twenty foot portrait of the Fuoco family."
Reword "striking blue eyes that she gave to two of her children" as she did not give these to her children, or leave out entirely.
"The earl was standing behind her," - I would say stood instead of was standing.
"He said reaching forward to grip onto my arm" - perhaps say to grasp my arm.


Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 29, 2014
Last Updated on December 29, 2014
Tags: magic, fantasy, power, female, family

Author

T. Cameron
T. Cameron

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada