Let loose the lips of Lucifer

Let loose the lips of Lucifer

A Story by ReneeJ
"

Another sample. The opening chapter

"

 

When we entered our new primary school, we had no idea of what to expect in this vast grey building, as we watched the teachers in tailored suits and faces that I believe did not smile at dawn. At break we stood and watched with fright and light headedness as the boys in khaki pants that could no longer pass their ankles ran past us and left behind the glorious stench filled with sweat and hormone that defined them as men and leaders of this grey, unfriendly world. We watched in awe and wonder of how they managed to conquer the school and how long did it take.


Lunch was even more furious, a man in a khaki soiled with hard work and poverty opened the gate to semi-freedom. When they rushed past in glee and an uncivilized manner, he opened his toothless mouth and cursed spraying the air with droplets of the liquid that came from his mouth. He went on to hit a few raucous boys with his blackened hat that released dust that spun in the air then settled comfortably on our noses.


My brother and I watched with careful observation as our school mates fought through the door of heavenly-playground. We watched how they swung their arms and pushed with narrow hips, clawed and bit each other until they were finally through. It wasn’t long before that we mastered this mannerism unbecoming of young ladies and gentlemen.


The dust when you entered was like perfume and the trees swayed joyfully side to side as they welcomed us to freedom. Girls spun around holding hands that may never join again and laughed gleefully at the enjoyment of a ring game. The boys tightened their faces as they competed for the status of best footballer. My brother looked on in envy and satisfaction at the commonalities that humans shared.


We learnt to move swiftly when the bell rang, as we were shoved and stomped on as the creatures fought their way through what became the gates of hell, tears flowed as desperation to be free from the curse of the playfield that held the reward of the cane, if you were late for afternoon sessions.


My back was never soaked with the recipe for disaster. Faces twisted into a monkey-like grimace as the whip slashed the air in vicious sweeps and struck the victim without care or concern. Mothers were called and tears flowed like a never-ending stream. The teacher seemed very happy when he did this, as he placed much emphasis and passion in beating, than he did with the lessons. I jumped every time the whip came into contact with the skin, and felt my throat constrict and my eyes blurred when one of my own suffered.


I would always wonder if my brother felt the same way, and I fantasized that behind the walls that separate us that we both cried for our sufferers. The procedure was played out every day after lunch, they would cry, twist and bend, but like wild animals prance unto the dust at lunch time to engage in sweat-drenching activities, much to the satisfaction of our teachers.


I didn’t play; neither did my brother, because we didn’t gather the courage as yet to request the participation in a game or a group. I would only watch, taking nibbles of my sandwich, neatly made by my help, supervised by my mother, she didn’t trust the rural folks.


We could focus during our primary school years because nobody bothered to talk to us outside of the classroom, and we never thought to seem desperate to beg to skip around in the ring or on my brother’s part to even kick the ball when it escaped the feet of wild boys.


It was common entrance time, I realized that I was no saint when I stopped caring about the well being of others, and wanted to always be on top. Particularly, I remember how my brother could not understand his nouns and I sat there under the cool of a mango tree and watched him suffer, I watched him cry until they turned into hiccups, while the desired knowledge and explanation, of a not very difficult topic stayed selfishly stuffed in my brain.


I became that way when I saw my brother with a potential friend, they were sharing lunch, the thing that we use to do. He was laughing in her face, innocently, but my mind was way past innocence and I could see my brother’s future, one I created, with me in the shadows with an untouched, cold sandwich in my hand.


I walked away and became silent; the image of my brother and the girl lingered in my mind until I isolated myself and became selfish. I didn’t share any stories and he didn’t ask, so we became distant and cold to each other, without any reason, but I was the perpetrator, of the cold, hostile world that we were to soon become a part of. My lips became like those of Lucifer.

© 2014 ReneeJ


Author's Note

ReneeJ
The opening chapter of a piece I'm trying desperately to develop

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Renee, we both have grown up in very different cultures, me here in cold Canada, you there in warm Jamaica, and I am thinking based on your lovely profile picture, separated by more than a few decades. However, you have managed to capture that alienation and shyness I experienced being a stranger in a new school as a child myself.
Well written, I noted a few small typos, but the flow and feel of this story really demands that you develop it into full story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like this write. You are a talented writer Renee...keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very interesting chapter I would definitely read more. well done! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is the third time I'm here reading this. Something about it is soothing despite the spirit of the narrator. I don't know,something about this kind of sad,is magnetic....
great chapter 💖
please go on with developing this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


ReneeJ

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
Very well written. But I still don't have a complete clear picture of the story in my mind. Could you summarize your main theme?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Daydreamer

9 Years Ago

Ofcourse I like! I don't know why, but this was soothing to read❤
I didn't get the last part.. read more
ReneeJ

9 Years Ago

She was jealous that he had found a friend :)
Daydreamer

9 Years Ago

She's an evil sis 💔

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2014
Last Updated on June 3, 2014
Tags: friendship, siblings, school

Author

ReneeJ
ReneeJ

Kingston, Jamaica



About
I love to write short stories and i do a lil bit of poetry more..

Writing
Story entry Story entry

A Story by ReneeJ


For awhile For awhile

A Poem by ReneeJ


Unusual Sadness Unusual Sadness

A Story by ReneeJ