Pause the Sadness

Pause the Sadness

A Story by ReneeJ
"

A young lady decides to try out the new trend "StayVacation"

"

I decided to try it although the dollar signs were slowly diminishing, (hence I couldn’t go too far) and the sighs that flew from my lips upset everyone.  The tired face boss sent me home because the strands on my head kept falling out and my over worked voice could barely rise above a whisper. When I got home, I sat around the computer, slowly scrolling through the pages filled with exaggerated smiles and sunburn skin.


I reluctantly decided on a venue and watched the computer slowly die, before I went into my own bed. I lay on the white sheets and followed the direction of the light from the moon’s fingers on the wall. The glow rested on my thigh and I shifted the sheets to hide my pale legs.


 I thought to cancel everything, to lie in bed and sleep and listen to the vendors pass, shouting their latest sales, but a voice kept knocking against my skull, reminding me of the blue, prison- like cubicles.


The next day, as the sun was just climbing over the hills, I stretched my arms above my head and welcomed the glow to take over my body, to make me warm. I grabbed the brightest bag from my closet and filled it with summer colours and sunglasses to hide my solemn gaze. On the streets teenagers ran in and out of the stores. 


Boys and girls held on to each tightly on to each other, probably with the hope of lasting love. I wanted to tell them that it will be over when the heat has subdued.


I stood among the clutter of eager patrons waiting with glee for the wide gates to open. I tolerated the rising scents of daisies and sweetness that flew off the necks of pink skin girls and cute toddlers. I held on to my bag as hands roamed all over and flew up in wild gesticulation, while they relayed gossip and the weekend stories.


I stepped up to the ticket box carefully and listened as music swarmed the entire park.

“Welcome to Caro winds!” The woman yelled, her face was perky and a permanent smile was plastered on her wide face. I nodded politely and took the ticket from her hands kept cool by the A/C


“Would you like your name on your wrist? “ A young man, probably twenty asked me, shoving a stamp too close to my face.


“Uhm sure” I responded, unsure of why I decided. Maybe I was getting the stay vacation fever.


“What’s your name” He said with the ever present smile, everyone here smiles. I guess it wasn’t such a good idea to keep locked up in a tiny apartment, and talk to no one but your computer and make tea.


“Clara” I said with confidence, as I was always told that it is a beautiful name.


“Beautiful name” He said as he pressed the stamp on my thin wrist.


“Thank you” I said, I could feel the heat rising from my toes.


“Want me to show you around, you look like a new one” He said, I giggled like a child, not the twenty-nine year old


“But your name stamping thing?”


“Don’t worry” he yelled over the screams coming from the roller coaster “Nobody buys”

He walked around with me and showed me everything. I was soaked to my bones from the water roller coaster, and the sound that came from my lips was so unusual. It was a laugh, a scream of excitement; all combined to make what is defined as happiness.


He walked me to gate and gave me a fresh stamp because the old one faded.


“Bye Clara”


“Bye Josh” I said in a low voice, his eyes twinkled as I walked away and I felt like a girl.


The next day I cancelled my walk around the tourist village down the road. The guide would probably a young guy eager to make money, and would rush over every detail, as the visitors hung to every world about good ole North Carolina.


He was leaning against the gate when I arrived. He wasn’t carrying around the stamp, pens and sticky papers. We laughed at the squeals and prayers as the roller coaster passed over our heads. Twice his hands brushed against my skin, and when he tried to hold my hand I moved away. 


We rode everything our eyes caught. We laughed when the vegetarian chilli dog drained on my white shirt and I spewed water everywhere when he spoke of his family.


Every night I rest and stroke the spot where my name was imprinted, waiting eagerly for the sun to awake from its slumber.

 I was there early and left when the sun was making its final bow, decorating the sky with flaming orange, then a soft pink.


The end of the week was bitter sweet. I miss my tea, but I would miss the park and him more.

We said our goodbyes. He gave me his number and I blatantly lied about calling him. He was probably still in college and was a victim of the summer heat.


I washed away the stains of my stay vacation. The scent of freedom and smiles slowly washed down the drain. I threw the parrot colours at the back of my closet, and made space for the black and grey… grown up colours.

 

 

 

 

© 2014 ReneeJ


Author's Note

ReneeJ
I would love your feedback. I am still learning

Check out my entry http://tlng.me/1kbL5dK and vote for me on Tallenge

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You're extravagantly talented! You write so well and so deep! I love everything about it from the style of writing to the scenarios to the main theme!! There's always so much of beauty despite the pain! Adorable story! PLEASE continue ♥♥♥♥♥

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You're extravagantly talented! You write so well and so deep! I love everything about it from the style of writing to the scenarios to the main theme!! There's always so much of beauty despite the pain! Adorable story! PLEASE continue ♥♥♥♥♥

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well I am not qualified to critique stories but I can tell you what I feel when I read the piece. It started out slow and then picked up and it kept me wanting to read on. I really enjoyed the meeting and walk and the little imagery that helped give it a relaxed feel and a want to read on. I love the ending! That was brilliant! Just like that! Stop! awesome the way you did it for the character and the story, it was just brilliant. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


ReneeJ

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
Patricia

9 Years Ago

You're welcome Renee...sorry I don't know why I wrote "little" before imagery in my critique...I mus.. read more
ReneeJ

9 Years Ago

lol thank you, s'ok

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2014
Last Updated on July 2, 2014

Author

ReneeJ
ReneeJ

Kingston, Jamaica



About
I love to write short stories and i do a lil bit of poetry more..

Writing
Story entry Story entry

A Story by ReneeJ


For awhile For awhile

A Poem by ReneeJ


Unusual Sadness Unusual Sadness

A Story by ReneeJ