Putting My Balls On The Table and Taking a Swing: Welcome To Iowa Island

Putting My Balls On The Table and Taking a Swing: Welcome To Iowa Island

A Story by Timothy Ryan

"That doesn't sound like a good idea" is a phrase that I've been hearing for all of my life. It never makes sense to me when people say it. It probably never will, either. I was born this way, baby. Take me as I am or not at all. circling back, though. The latest life decision that drew this reaction out of people is when I quit my job, packed my Jeep up with the minimal number of possessions I still held close and moved my life From New York to Des Moines, Iowa. I know, I'm doing great.
  Most of the people I know don't understand the decision and likely never will. There are two reasons for this. they're either perfectly happy with their lives as they are, or they've never dared to dream like I'm doing now. I cut every tie I had to a comfortable life to get by and threw myself into the fire. Why let go of everything I had going for me? Simple, I was absolutely miserable and desperately needed to ger the f**k out of the weekly routines I was in. 
  I'm positive that I'm not the only one who felt, or currently feels, this way about their job. You work a job you never wanted, to pay the bills you struggle to afford just so you can live the life you swore you'd never fall into. Sound familiar? Week after week my soul was grinding down to a passionless routine that dreaded the sound of the alarm clock and another day of work ahead. Not even the end of night whiskey could make it better after a certain point. I needed a clean break.
  Luckily, I had some helping hands down in Des Moines who welcomed me down for a week in summer. The week away from work was enough to make it worth the trip, no matter where I was headed to. Something else happened, though. Beyond the cornfields and Midwest stereotypes -trust me, there's still plenty of those in Iowa- I seemed to find the thrill and adventure that I'd been craving. 
  At first sight, Des Moines is just another flyover city that is just a stop on the way to better places. For me, it is that better place. It's a breath of new life, a chance to build my life into what I always wanted it to be and it's just a peaceful place to be. Plus, me being from any part of New York, I automatically have some cool points anywhere I go here. that thought started as soon as i arrived for my initial visit and didn't stop until I drove back here.
  Of course, no one understood it when I got back to New York. I was met with plenty of raised eyebrows and head scratching reactions. They didn't get it, and I didn't expect them to. to them, I was throwing my life away and headed towards certain disaster. For me, I was putting my balls on the table and taking a swing. You only get one life to live you dreams, and my time was slowly slipping away to nights at the bar and a soul crushing job. I'd rather have nothing and have the chance at everything, than to have something but feel nothing inside.
  I packed my bags, took out some money and quickly planned my escape back down to Des Moines. After four weeks of planning, I was on the road again. People would ask me "Why Iowa?" Knowing that they'd never understand, I just gave them an answer full of sarcasm. "You haven't heard of Iowa Island?  It's a beautiful beach town down there." Not wanting to look stupid themselves or seem ignorant, they'd go along with it. Life is what you make it, and I'm officially living the island life. Cheers!

© 2022 Timothy Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on October 3, 2022
Last Updated on October 3, 2022

Author

Timothy Ryan
Timothy Ryan

NY



About
Stories, poetry and everything from the soul. I'm co-authors with whiskey. more..

Writing