33

33

A Poem by Timothy Ryan

I was at the age where I realized the cigarettes and whiskey-soaked nights weren’t anything to all that proud of anymore. I didn’t have the vices to hide behind. All I had was myself and the choices that I would have to live with. Truthfully, they weren’t half bad. In fact, some people wouldn’t tell me to be proud of them. I quit my job. I left the warmth and familiarity of my s****y apartment and I moved my life halfway across the country to chase a dream. A dream that I wasn’t even sure would be waiting for me when I got there. It didn’t matter, though. Not one bit. I needed a change, and I’d changed so much I didn’t even recognize myself at times. Those were the most frightening times; when nothing seemed certain. When I was a stranger to myself and who I always felt I had to be. I couldn’t drown the nights away with the boys at the bar. I couldn’t chase after another lonely heart for some false affection that never lasted into the next day. All of that was gone. I was stuck facing myself and the loneliness of maturing out of my vagrant ways. The hope of a cigarette prayer had burned out years ago -along with all of my other half-hearted thoughts and easy fixes to kiss away the feeling that I was unsatisfied with everything around me. Now, it was only me and the man I was growing into.

© 2023 Timothy Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on June 20, 2023
Last Updated on June 20, 2023

Author

Timothy Ryan
Timothy Ryan

NY



About
Stories, poetry and everything from the soul. I'm co-authors with whiskey. more..

Writing