Why Are Pharmaceutical Companies Using Protein Expression Systems?

Why Are Pharmaceutical Companies Using Protein Expression Systems?

A Story by Pramod Arya
"

According to P&S Intelligence, the market was valued at $1.4 billion in 2016, and it is expected to generate $3.0 billion revenue by 2023.

"
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 1.7 million new HIV/AIDS cases were recorded worldwide in 2019. Furthermore, the WHO states that chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) were responsible for 3.23 million and 17.9 million deaths, respectively, in 2019. It also revealed that cancer took approximately 10 million human lives in 2020. Most of the cancer-related deaths were caused due to breast cancer, lung cancer, colon and rectum cancer, prostate cancer, skin (non-melanoma) cancer, and stomach cancer.
The aforementioned chronic diseases require clinical intervention, where protein expression has attained a notable role, due to its requirement in protein production. Thus, the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases is expected to fuel the protein expression market at a healthy CAGR of 11.7% during the forecast period (2017�"2023). 
Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, contract research organizations, and academic research organizations use prokaryotic expression systems, insect cell expression systems, mammalian cell expression systems, yeast expression systems, algal-based expression systems, and cell-free expression systems to alter, synthesize, and regulate protein in living organisms. In the preceding years, prokaryotic expression systems were preferred over other protein expression systems because of their cost-effectiveness. End users procure these systems from GenScript Biotech Corporation, New England Biolabs Inc., Promega Corporation, QIAGEN N.V., Lonza Group Ltd., Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., and Agilent Technologies Inc.
Globally, North America dominated the protein expression market in the recent past, due to the surging cases of chronic diseases, growing aging population, and mounting healthcare expenditure in the region. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 18.2 million adults aged 20 years and above in the U.S. are living with coronary artery disease (CAD). The CDC also estimates that nearly 659,000 people in the country die from heart disease each year. 
Whereas, the European region held the second position in the protein expression market in 2016, owing to the booming geriatric population, expanding research and development (R&D) infrastructure, and increasing prevalence of chronic pain, neurological disorders, infections, and CVDs. For instance, the European Academy of Neurology (EAN) states that 307,859,199 cases of neurological diseases and 1,116,038 neurological disease-related deaths were recorded in the European Union (EU) nations in 2017. Furthermore, the European Heart Network (EHN) estimates that CVDs caused 3.9 million deaths in the region in 2017. 
Therefore, the rising cases of chronic diseases will create a huge requirement for protein expression across the world.  

© 2022 Pramod Arya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on February 28, 2022
Last Updated on February 28, 2022
Tags: Protein Expression Market, Protein Expression Market Size, Protein Expression Market Share

Author

Pramod Arya
Pramod Arya

Noida, UP, India



About
About P&S Intelligence P&S Intelligence is a provider of market research and consulting services catering to the market information needs of burgeoning industries across the world. Providing the plin.. more..

Writing