My Monsters

My Monsters

A Poem by Rin
"

In hindsight, the monsters that inhabited the underside of my bed were a protection from those that existed outside of the room.

"

In hindsight, the Monsters that inhabited the underside of my bed were a protection from those that existed outside of the room. They were always there for me, sometimes in the closet, sometimes just peering at me from within the shadows. They were scary at first but they never did anything to hurt me. They even saved me that time.


From the outside came even more frightful Monsters that were not content to remain just idle Monsters, the ones on the outside showed heart breaking faces. I saw my mom’s face on one of those Monsters and my daddy’s face too. The scary masks that the outside monsters wore were even more terrifying than the formless dancing shadows of my Monsters. My monsters were kind, I learned.


When the Mommy-Monster came to scream at me, my Monsters would growl and rage at the injustice. The Monsters in my room would sometimes dance to celebrate the moon and so sometimes I would join them and forget all about the Mommy-Monster and the Daddy-Monster. Once, the Daddy-Monster caught us dancing to the moon’s song and made all my Monsters disappear. 


I hate him. I hate that he made my monsters disappear even if it was only for the night. He scared them away by turning the lights on so suddenly that it burned their eyes so they had to leave. My Monsters don’t like bright lights, just like vampires. Mommy-Monster and Daddy-Monster are a different kind of monster, they don’t mind the light.


They’re scared of my Monsters though. My monsters scared them to death that time. 

© 2013 Rin


Author's Note

Rin
It feels incomplete, what would you add to it? I'm not feeling prompted

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If adding anything, you absolutely must not describe the incident referred to multiple times, wherein your monsters scare your parents. You can describe all around it, before and after, and vague references, but the incident itself must not be divulged, like the way the audience never clearly sees Jaws or the Alien (until the end). It creates intrigue.

I can't tell if this story is sort of a child-like romp, or if it's symbolic for psychological demons. In the case of the latter, the tag-line could be "They may be demons, but they're MY demons, and I love them!"

In any case, you're onto something, but I don't feel that it's incomplete. If you want to add, do so carefully, because I believe it's "complete enough" as is. A fine read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rin

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I myself never planned to describe the circumstances of 'that time' I like to l.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Added on November 30, 2013
Last Updated on November 30, 2013
Tags: Monster, Abuse, Fear, Darkness, Shadows, Dark, Death

Author

Rin
Rin

Canada



About
I am half dark elf, according to my mother- she's not actually sure. I like the not-silence of fluttering leaves and bubbling rivers. Human noises are not something I tolerate for extended periods of .. more..

Writing
World's Tears World's Tears

A Poem by Rin