Headaches and Holes

Headaches and Holes

A Story by Robert Campbell
"

Black holes, monsters, and weirdness. What more can you ask for?

"
The hole appeared over night. I mowed the lawn yesterday and now there's a gaping maw of a hole in my back yard. I have no idea why it's there. There shouldn't be a hole in my back yard. Could it be a sink hole? Perhaps someone mistakingly dug a hole in the wrong yard in the middle of the night? I haven't told anyone about the hole. What is one supposed to do when a large hole mysteriously appears in their back yard. Should one notify the proper authorities of the existence of this hole? Who would be the proper authorities for such a hole? These thoughts consumed me in the beginning.


At work I sat in my cubicle staring at my computer screen. The overhead fluorescent lights give me headaches. My cubicle is situated in the corner of a large windowless room filled with other cubicles. In the corner, the artificial fluorescent light struggles to fill my cubicle space with adequate light. This results in uneven light, shadows, and unnecessary strain for my eyes.


My cubicle neighbor, the obese red headed woman, asked me to join her for lunch. I refused, citing my headache. The second hole appeared in the floor of my cubicle at mid-day. It's circumference approximately equal to a coffee can, directly under my computer work table. I scrunched down on my hands and knees to peer inside the hole. There was nothing other than the blackness of empty space. I reached into the hole and could fit my entire arm inside of it all the way to my shoulder without feeling anything with my hand. The pain in my skull forced me to retake my seat and move as little as possible.


I stared into my computer screen. I wasn't looking at anything in particular. Something overcame me at that moment. I suddenly sensed that something was terribly wrong. Something horrible had happened, or was going to happen, yet I had no idea what it was or when it would happen. This intense dis-ease rippled through my mind and body, causing my headache to worsen.


I decided to leave work early since I was feeling ill. In the elevator there were two more coffee can sized holes in the floor. I asked the man next to me if he knew what they were. He looked at me quizzically and asked me what I was talking about. I pointed and calmly said, these holes, do you have any idea why they are here? He looked at me with his frowning face and said that he did not see a hole.


On the drive home a person-shaped hole crossed the street at a stoplight. It was a person, but rather than being formed of flesh, color, and mass, it was a black space of emptiness. Something was terribly wrong.


At home I went into my yard and looked down into the large hole. A very light fog, almost like smoke, drifted out of the hole. I couldn't see the bottom, or the sides. There was nothing inside the hole. It was completely empty.


That night, it began. I awoke at 3 am to a loud, bellowing sound that reverberated throughout my house, causing my walls to vibrate. Once again, for a second time, the violent bellow carried itself through the otherwise still and silent night. I jumped from my bed and looked out the window into my back yard. There, I saw it crawl from the hole, pulling itself out with it's enormous blue arms. It looked like a giant man, standing over ten feet tall. It's body was massive, animal-like in it's thickness and muscle, somewhat akin to a buffalo or bull in it's sheer mass, but standing on two legs as a man would. Large white tusks protruded from the beasts mouth. It shook it's head and flexed it's muscles before releasing another wall-shaking bellow.


Then a second beast emerged from the hole, same in appearance as the first. I spun around, reaching for my cell phone, before realizing my cell phone had been replaced by a black empty space identical in shape to my cell phone. I couldn't pick it up. It was a black empty space in my vision that I could not touch.


Again, I looked out the window. There were now giant brown moth-like creatures flying out of the hole in my back yard. Some were as big as my car, others smaller. Dozens, maybe hundreds, of dog-sized ants were scurrying from the hole and racing in all directions. A volleyball sized brown moth crashed into the window, splattering a green unctuous jelly substance that oozed down the window pane.


I then reached for my computer, and I began to write this account of everything that had happened today. My legs were the first to go. They became numb and then slowly transformed into an empty blackness. The shape of my legs are still there, but there is no mass. I can even move my legs, but I am unable to stand. My legs exist now only as a shadow.


I am quiet positive I am in shock now. My arms and hands are tingling and are growing heavy. It almost feels like I am losing control of my arms, but I am obviously not since I am still able to type. My right hand is gone. I am typing with only one hand. My right hand is still attached to my arm but it is now only an empty black space in the shape of my hand. I can still move the fingers of my right hand, or rather what used to be the fingers of my right hand, but now just an empty, black nothingness. My left hand is tingling and I am struggling with typing now.


The window is broken. Moths flying inside. Attracted by light. My hand is going away. Only fingers now. Please let this stop I can't move. I am scared everything turning black and moths all over biting me and my fingers r now going. I cn brly typ it now i am trning blk hlp

J mktesx

I. I. Y yhkfgddeejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjiiio

© 2014 Robert Campbell


Author's Note

Robert Campbell
All comments are welcome. Thank you for reading my story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very chilling story; very good. Sounds as if this writer has tapped into another universe...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Robert Campbell

9 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
1 Review
Added on July 14, 2014
Last Updated on July 14, 2014
Tags: Fiction, horror, monsters, weird fiction, strange fiction

Author

Robert Campbell
Robert Campbell

Austin, TX



About
Well, I love reading and writing. I enjoy watching good movies. I also enjoy running and good food. I have two wonderful cats. I live in Austin,TX. more..

Writing