The purple sky I wish I could feel

The purple sky I wish I could feel

A Story by Romel Fernandez

Summer 2010

It was the end of August and we were all twelve years old. My closest friends and I played soccer on a football field where the view of the horizon was divine. It was a quarter to seven and the sun was soft, our shadows were giant versions of ourselves from another dimension.
My friends ran as if their energy was solar powered and they were charged up. As for me I was falling behind.
"Are you out of shape?" "Do you have asthma?" were the questions they would ask me, but neither was the case.
I would try my hardest to keep up. The sun gently kissing my face as I seemed to sweat more than the others and panted uncomfortably.
The voices in my head were too loud. So loud that they kept me from running along with everyone else. I couldn't focus on anything except what they were telling me; lies that I grew to believe once they wore me down.
Once I stopped running I began to get frustrated, wondering why these voices didn't give me a break this once. At least this one time since it was our last summer before middle school. Before everything would change. Yet I've already seemed to change before all the rest of my friends. I just wanted to enjoy this summer like a normal twelve year old. As much I did once upon a time.
The beautiful world around me was just a tease, and it was shattering right before my eyes. I didn't know what to do, or what to hold onto. So I laid down on the grass and looked at the sky. The purple sky I wish I could feel, right before dusk.

© 2016 Romel Fernandez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on May 30, 2016
Last Updated on June 2, 2016