Insane

Insane

A Story by Rockel Mansaray
"

Insane

"

I’m insane. Literally insane. I’m not just saying that. I know that. My doctors confirmed that. My parents loath that. And I live with that.

Dr. Jolce says that I’m not sick. I have no brain damage, no injuries. He explains to my parents that my brain is just wired differently; so differently that he doesn’t know how it works, just that I’m still alive.

I seem normal. When someone looks at me, they don’t automatically think, “Wow, that kid looks mental!” They think, “Ooh that guy looks suspicious, somebody better check his pockets!”

I don’t know what they mean by suspicions but at least that title is more pleasing to the eye than straight up insane.

In my mind, nothing makes sense. My thoughts are almost never clear. I think irrationally and can’t control myself.

On the inside, I’m me. I know what I’m doing whether intentional or not. My thoughts are way saner compared to the rest of me and when at times they aren’t, I’m stuck in someone else’s control and all I can do is watch.

Its hell I suppose. Never being certain of what I’m going to do or where my delirious brain is going to take me. This fact has taken an even bigger toll on my parents.

I understand why they no longer trust me. I myself know that I am nowhere close to reliable. My intentions can change in a matter of seconds. It’s unfair really. Because of this, my parents locks me into a teenage proof cage called my bedroom as if I’m going to go suicidal or on a murderous rampage.

My cage is bare. Nothing but a bed and a dresser really decorates my room. The window has been recently barred up because of my latest outburst. I think I broke a leg. I’m not sure. It’s blurry now.

How long have I been like this, you ask? Truth is I don’t remember. According to my mom, I was eight when the signs of insanity began. Dr. Jolce says it’s probably a result of depression and mass stress. Mom would like to beg to differ. She says I was a good and happy kid.

Dad on the other hand insists that I was born like this. He says it probably comes from and I quote, “Your mother’s side.” Mom usually cusses him out but in the end, breaks out into tears. It’s sad how my family has turned on each other, just because I’m a nutcase.

© 2015 Rockel Mansaray


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I feel like this story is just scratching the surface of what could be explored here. There are so many potential perspectives for the narrator, like riding with them as their body moves out of their control, with us trapped behind the eyes, and of course the broken family dynamic is just begging to explode. I think this is a great start to an interesting story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rockel Mansaray

8 Years Ago

Thank you for this lovely feedback, I'll definitely take your words into consideration on whether to.. read more



Reviews

This is delightfully unique from what I've seen. This is a very interesting, very slightly explored story. This could very easily be expanded upon. Thank you very much for submitting this to the short story contest.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is beautiful, quality work. I love it. Specifically: your opening and closing lines are powerful. They are short and to the point but the picture they paint and all the information that they allow the reader to infer makes them very intriguing. You do a great job of "show, don't tell" when you describe the bedroom with the bars, and minimal furniture. My only critique is that in the middle there it gets a tad bit info dumpy. If you could find another anecdote, like the bedroom, to describe the information in the middle there, it would really polish of this piece nicely.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I feel like this story is just scratching the surface of what could be explored here. There are so many potential perspectives for the narrator, like riding with them as their body moves out of their control, with us trapped behind the eyes, and of course the broken family dynamic is just begging to explode. I think this is a great start to an interesting story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rockel Mansaray

8 Years Ago

Thank you for this lovely feedback, I'll definitely take your words into consideration on whether to.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015

Author

Rockel Mansaray
Rockel Mansaray

ewing, NJ



About
When I write a story, the moment I think of an idea, I write it down or in this case type it down. So I can't really guarantee when exactly I update my stories, but I can guarantee that I come up idea.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


JERE JERE

A Book by Rockel Mansaray