Sorry to be human

Sorry to be human

A Story by ThistoShallPass
"

Just some musings on humanity

"
Sometimes...
I am ashamed to be human.
Ashamed of the careless power, ease of living and convenience of our modern world that being human affords me. If we do live more than one life, if we reincarnate into animals, another human, an insect....than how is it possible, in our human form that we can be so disgracefully cruel to other forms of life?

Animals kill to feed themselves, and to protect themselves. But humans maim, kill, rape, and destroy, all to fulfill greedy, sadistic, malicious goals. We consume.
We consume all that we have and then steal from somewhere else, until we are sick, and yet still, we look for more. 

Staring out of a window, watching cars fly past in an endless trail, people hurrying to work on the wet streets, clutching their coffee, I think 

                                             how sorry I am.

My mind drifts off to imagining how the seams of the sky are absorbing, revealing a secret that has shrouded all of our eyes. The fabrication of our lives. I imagine what it would be like to know what that means, to know how this body I sit in really came to be. My bus stops abruptly and I startle.

Blinking around, awoken from the thoughts, the grief, the shame. I slyly, curiously, look over at the quiet people sitting around me. Are they ashamed?

Which one worries about the extent of their power? Or how insignificant they feel in the tide of humanity? I want to apologize to them for every person who abused them, used them, tricked them or humiliated them. I want to tell them not be ashamed, as they are magnificent creatures in an inconceivable existence.

The bus lurches forward, the cars move forward. The sky stays still.
Just sometimes....I think. 

© 2018 ThistoShallPass


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a way with words and I enjoy reading them. I love this one for how sad yet true it is. I have thought almost the same things from time to time.

Posted 6 Years Ago


All the Great White could see from his position at the top of the food chain was lunch.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Thank you for that comment

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is very reminiscent of the conversations I have with a few of my friends sometimes, so I feel this one on a deeper level. It really makes you wonder, if we are truly reincarnated, how it works and how much the mind changes when it happens. Maybe these imperfections were challenges we failed to conquer from a previous life. Wonderful and thought-provoking!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2018
Last Updated on March 15, 2018
Tags: life, sad, questions, humanity

Author

ThistoShallPass
ThistoShallPass

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada



About
I used to write all of the time, but every year I write less, I journal less and I create less. I want to pick it up again. more..

Writing