Cookies

Cookies

A Story by Rowanna
"

Had to do a story inspired by a Shakespeare quote picked out of a box at school. Inspired by the Shakespeare quote: "And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

"
   He stopped suddenly, his blade not two inches from her chest. No, he couldn't do it. Yes, he could. He just needed to say goodbye. She was beautiful. As she lay there, her hair splayed across her pillow like sun rays in the clouds, her face gentle, her long eyelashes fluttering slightly as dream after dream floated through one of the most intelligent minds he knew and her reddened lips parted ever so slightly, Emily Tatyana Ignatova looked as beautiful as she ever had done. He checked her bounds, pained to see such beautiful hands held captive in thin leather noose. But it must be done. Slowly, carefully, he leant over her. A tear dropped onto her face and rolled down her cheek. He leant in and planted a gentle kiss on that beautiful pout. Emily's eyes flashed open. They were stunning, emanating every shade of green you could imagine and rimmed with a warm, chocolate brown. Emily opened her mouth to scream but only managed an odd little whimper. The knife was in. He watched the tears that were spilling from her eyes join with his own and opened his mouth tentatively. "Goodbye, Emily. I love you". It was those three words that he had silently screamed at her all this time. The three words that escaped as a whisper now. He sat down abruptly and held his head in his hands, suddenly doubting his actions. Then he heard a scream. He heard sobbing. It was him. It was too much.

   Morgan Scordelario raised a hand and a perfectly cooked choc-chip cookie to her mouth and took a second bite. Her fingers held well-manicured nails and her teeth were pearls that had been carefully selected. Morgan pulled out a Blackberry phone from their latest range and selected her best friend's name from her contacts. Emily Ignatova. Emily picked up her phone instantly and replied in a surprisingly chirpy voice. Had she managed to hide it from her mum? Yes, Emily was one of the cleverest girls she'd met, that must be it. "Hey, Em!" Morgan grinned, swallowing her mouthful, "I don't feel like school today, I might go to the lake. Want to come?" Morgan knew that Emily would understand what it meant. Come or you're never coming back. There was a long, thoughtful pause before Emily replied. She couldn't. She was grounded. The first thing Morgan felt was betrayal. After everything, Emily was just going to throw away her social life? Throw away her best friend? No, that wasn't like her. Was it? Did Morgan truly know this girl at all? Come to think of it, that wasn't her only action that had spread doubt in Morgan. Morgan hung up. Make what you will of that, Emily. This means war.

   Emily hugged her mum tightly. "I'm sorry, mum!" she whispered, "I didn't mean to do it. I... I...", the words could not escape her mouth and Emily clung awkwardly to her mother for a while. Contemplating. Dismissing. "I love you mum" she smiled.
   "You hate me, don't you?" Amber Thornber frowned, staring at the beautiful girl before her. Emily looked worried and opened her mouth to speak but Amber interrupted sadly, "No, no. You don't have to explain. I've taken you away from your old school, your old friends... I've taken your life away and I'm not even your real mother."
   Emily gripped Amber's shoulders firmly. "Mum! Stop! I deserve every bit of this. What I did... It was unforgivable. You may not be my real mum, but it feels like you are. You've been here for me through the best and worst moments of my life. And anyway, whoever said going to a new school would be so bad? It'll work out better, I'm sure." Emily kissed Amber on the cheek, smiled and turned to walk to school before coming straight back again. "Which way was it again?" Emily laughed.

   It was halfway through Morgan's first lesson when Emily walked in, perfectly calmly, as if she was right on time. Morgan allowed herself a smile. Whoever this girl was, she knew how to work her way up from the bottom and had presented herself as a good candidate for the middle at least already.  Emily made a quick inventory of the classroom, meeting Morgan's eyes only briefly, but for long enough to choose the empty space beside her for her permanent seat in the classroom. "You do realise what you've just done, don't you?" Morgan murmured, her voice full of venom. Emily pulled a pen out of her bag, smiled, stared straight ahead and said nothing. Morgan smiled. She could tell they were going to become good friends - well - about as good-a friends as you can be in a world where you can't turn around without getting stabbed in the back.

   Jack looked like he'd come straight out of an anime strip. His eyes were large and blue and his nose small and pointed. His brown hair stuck out in all  sorts of directions and a side fringe covered half of his face. His friend Peter scorned him now, his eyes laughing and merciless. Jack knew he shouldn't be embarrassed. Jack knew that Peter and every other boy he knew fancied Emily as well. In fact, Jack knew that Emily knew that there wasn't a male in the school who didn't fancy her. So why was it that Jack was so scared to approach her? And it hit him. Rejection. Emily would never go for a boy that wasn't already in the utmost highest circle of popularity; she probably wouldn't even look at Jack. "Please, no!" he begged. It wasn't even worth a try. If Peter went now and told her Jack liked her, Jack would only face embarrassment. But Peter was off and Jack was being pulled helplessly after.
   Emily felt a tap on her shoulder and turned, mirroring Morgan's bemused expression. Peter instantly felt his cheeks turn red. "Jack fancies you!" he blurted out, throwing his arm out violently to point at Jack before running and almost running to hide behind his friends. Jack froze, his heart beating wildly as he felt her gaze on him.
   "Does Jack fancy me?" she cooed, mocking him with a pair of puppy eyes, before filling her expression with a sort of sadistic sneer. She put out a hand and gently cupped his chin, standing almost near enough for their bodies to touch. Jack felt a sort of electricity run through him, unable to believe his surroundings. Emily leant in as if to kiss him. Was this a dream? This was more than he could have hoped for. Emily pulled away, laughing and Jack's head drooped, ashamed. Morgan stepped forward and ruffled Jack's hair, also laughing, before leading Emily off. Jack glanced around before realising that his friends had abandoned him. He understood now, that no matter what you did, you would still end up being judged. He understood that in this world, there was no place for fear.

   Morgan tossed back another shot of vodka and glanced around drunkenly, wondering where her top had gone. "Hey... Em... Emily!" she called, slurring her words, "You got a pill?" She could vaguely make out Emily in the doorway, falling though it. Morgan leant forward slightly and sick dribbled from her mouth. Morgan pulled a hand up to her mouth, attempting to somehow hold the sick in, and passed out.
   Emily's vision doubled, tripled, then returned to the double. She'd seen Jack go into a room with her friend Ashley, and then made the connection. Siblings. Emily bundled into the kitchen, pulling a pair of disposable gloves and retrieving a kitchen knife from the side. Emily wobbled and grasped the kitchen surface for support, making sure to hold the knife an arm's length from her. She could see Jack and Ashley in the next room. She stumbled through the doorway and fell onto Ashley, giggling. "Hey, babe" she winked, drunkenly licking his face. Jack stood there awkwardly. He was jealous and simultaneously frightened, though at the time he could not see why. Ashley lay, pleasantly surprised at this sudden show of affection. Emily raised the knife and slit open his throat in one swift action. "Oops." She giggled, standing up, completely sober.
   "What did you just do?!" Jack exclaimed, shell-shocked and scared. He felt himself being pushed against the wall now. He didn't want to die. He ducked out of her grip and sidestepped a little away from her.
   "Ooh, does little Jack miss his brother?" Emily smiled, throwing out the same mocking puppy eyes that she'd used before. She flitted out her tongue and bit her lip seductively. "Don't worry, babes, I don't plan to kill you... You were merely supposed to watch your brother die - it's more fun that way!" A beautiful, cruel laugh that sounded a bit like a gentle waterfall escaped her lips. Jack felt sick to the core.
   "I'll tell someone... I'll, I'll, phone the police!" Jack whispered, unable to speak any louder.
   "Tell who? Tell them what? That Emily was the one who killed him? Where's your evidence, hmm? I didn't touch him once. The most evidence there is is one eye witness. Your view has never meant anything against mine. For all we know, it was you!" Emily was giggling a lot now. She threw the knife so that it flew passed Jack's ear and hit the wall behind him, before climbing out the window and leaving.

   Now as Emily lay here, a knife through her heart, she fell in love. It was ironic that the one who had killed her had just broken her heart both literally and metaphorically.
   Emily's first love had been her first kill. She was less intelligent back then. She didn't even understand her desire to kill. He'd left her. He'd broken her heart and so she broke his with a kitchen knife. Her weapon of choice. So accessible. She was kicked out of school and given a jail sentence. Her adoptee mother, Amber, had found her a new school and they'd moved house. No one knew who she was here. She hadn't planned on killing again, but she'd gotten mixed up with popularity and all it's side effects. She'd gotten away with it that time. Left no evidence. They were still searching for the killer. Emily had felt strangely relieved, like she had finally quenched her desire to kill. But she knew it would grow again, knew that she would have to kill again. But she didn't mind. Her mother had known it was her. She had been grounded. Morgan thought that she was only in trouble because of the drugs, the alcohol and the lying to her mum. Emily had faked the drugs and alcohol all along.
   But Jack had wanted revenge. Revenge on the girl who had thrown him into this powerful insecurity and murdered his brother. Revenge on the girl he loved.

   So a beautiful love that never was both started and ended that night. And both of them felt it and knew that their lives couldn't have played out in any better way, because this was so perfect. And the lives were ruined of the two soul mates in one foul swoop. And this ending was a happy one, regardless of all else.

© 2014 Rowanna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on May 30, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2014

Author

Rowanna
Rowanna

Norfolk, United Kingdom



About
I am continually rewriting and improving chapters and stories. I have many handwritten stories that still need typing up. I have started on several novels that are currently for my eyes only, but wh.. more..

Writing
1. Lucy 1. Lucy

A Chapter by Rowanna


Collapse Collapse

A Book by Rowanna