30 Day Challenge; Day 1-The Apartment

30 Day Challenge; Day 1-The Apartment

A Story by Ms. Lee
"

I think I deviated a little, oops!

"
It was on a rather scraggly side of town, he had to admit. The buildings were old and creaky, but the people were what made it such a comfortable place for him to live. The colors of their voices leaking through his cracked window grounded and settled him in a way that a fancy high-rise apartment never could. It was loud and dusty, but it was home. Whether or not he was in a situation to afford something far better was irrelevant; this apartment was where he wanted to live.

Mitchell felt more comfortable in the rundown portion of the city, with people screaming at each other and laughing together and listening to their music as loud as it could get than he did in the upper echelons of society. He may have been trapped with those people all day, but at least downtown was real.

Smiling, he went to open the window wider and let in more air when he heard a knocking at the door. Figuring it could wait the precious seconds it took him to open the window, Mitchell took care of his initial business before hurrying over to the door, dodging various boxes of belongings that had yet to be unpacked.

His heart fell when he opened the door and a wave of high-cost cologne hit his nose. An upper-city college kid, by the looks of it. Who was holding a gift basket. There was no way he could turn the kid away without breaking one of the rules of high-class or even low-class society. Forcing a smile on his face, he turned and motioned for the college kid to come on in.

"Thank you, I just came to welcome you to the neighborhood." he said, walking in hesitantly and balancing the gift basket on one hand. "Do you require help unpacking?"

The kid used big words. Wonderful. But he had also offered to help, and in no way could politely rescind his offer now.

"As a matter of fact, could you give me a hand putting the bed together?" Mitchell asked while showing the college kid the kitchen counter to set the gift basket on. To his surprise, the kid broke into a huge smile.

It turned out the kid, Allen, was raised to be head of an international multibillion dollar company based in medical device inventions, even though he was an art major. Allen was also incredibly interesting for Mitchell to talk to; he was funny, smart, kind, and though kind of gangly, not too bad to look at. Apparently Allen thought the same of Mitchell, because they scheduled a tentative movie date that both were looking forward to and internally panicking about at the same time.

So when Mitchell walked into the meeting room for his firm with his presentation for the big company they were supposed to be making a deal with and saw Allen's face in the CEO's, he knew he was in trouble. Big trouble. The CEO of the huge company that would pull Mitchell's firm to the next level was his almost-boyfriends father.

Standing there in the doorway, frozen in fear, Mitchell took back all the good things he had said about his perfect apartment. It was terrible and he never should have moved there because now, based on the look of sudden recognition on the CEO's face and the crossing of his arms, it looked like Mitchell was going to be the sole reason his firm failed at this deal, and everyone would damn his existence.

His presentation had just turned into 'meet the father', and the father looked like he was already in full judgment mode.

Mitchell hated his apartment. His apartment was a terrible, no good idea.

© 2014 Ms. Lee


Author's Note

Ms. Lee
Sometimes thing's slip away from me, so if I made a mistake please point it out! I'm aware the ending seems a bit rushed, but that's kind of a problem for me. If you have any suggestions I'm open to them!

http://www.writerscafe.org/courses/30-Days-of-Inspiration/6726/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

131 Views
Added on March 2, 2014
Last Updated on March 2, 2014
Tags: gay, homosexual, romance, meet the father, apartment, 30 day challenge

Author

Ms. Lee
Ms. Lee

New Braunfels, TX



About
I am currently attending college to seek a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Occasionally, the stress of so many science and math classes drive me to write. Really it's very sporadic, my writing sc.. more..

Writing