Runaway Dreams

Runaway Dreams

A Stage Play by Meh
"

It's long- 55 pages altogether! It was my first attempt a play, written for my high school drama club and it was great! It's a play in four acts, with a cast of characters page in the beginning.

"

 

Cast of Characters (In order of importance):
 
(Commander) Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings: A fifteen-year old orphan who has been
receiving unexplainable dreams. She is brave, kind, and works as a waitress in the
beginning.
 
Eric Regalato: Katrina’s best friend and her assumed lover in the end of the play. He is
comical and kidnaps her in the beginning.
 
April Ryan: Katrina’s godmother and her mother’s best friend. She is cold and austere,
but is also Katrina’s mentor and guardian. She is the wife of Alder Calahari,
mother of Eleana Ryan, and a High Arcadian Council Member.
 
(General) Trianna Zenger: Dislikes Katrina for being a child of a High Arcadian Council
Member, which she is also. She is blunt, harsh and mean in her accusations and
actions to others, but her actions are justified by her passion to protect the rebellion from detection.
 
Alder Calahari: Husband of April Ryan and father of Eleana Ryan. He is a High Arcadian
Council Member, the gentlest of all of them. He is known for his compassion and loyalty to his work.
 
Patrick Lead/ James Rowlings: Another High Arcadian Council Member. He dislikes
Katrina in the beginning, but then we discover he is her father who was just ashamed of breaking the council rules and having her.
 
Bobby: The rebellion’s greatest resource, as a battle general and one of the rebellion’s
most trusted and highest High Arcadian Council Member.
 
Joann: Another High Arcadian Council Member. She has a quiet and little voice, which
makes her seem outspoken.
 
Drake: Another High Arcadian Council Member.
 
Carl: Another High Arcadian Council Member.
 
Zoë Willett/Zoë Castillo: A follower of Mira Coretta and Mira’s loyalist and personal
assistant. In the end, we find out she is really Zoë Castillo, the wife of Dimoviti Volivit and mother of Maria Castillo.
 
Eleana Ryan: Child of April Ryan and Alder Calahari, who are both High Arcadian
Council Members.
 
Dimoviti Volivit: Husband of Zoë Castillo and father of Maria Castillo. He is a personal
bodyguard of Devon and has hidden Maria from him for two years since she was born and Zoë left him with her.
 
Devon: Evil leader/emperor of Stark. He is the antagonist in the play as a man who
destroyed Arcadia and killed many people.
 
Mira Coretta: Leader of the Followers. She is a woman who had a disagreement with the
High Council of Arcadian Elders.
 
Maria Castillo: Two-year old daughter of Zoë Castillo and Dimoviti Volivit.
 
General Kiobi: Battle General of the Hunters, Starkian Empire, and Devon.
 
Marvin: Katrina’s friend and a waiter at a restrurant Katrina used to work at in the beginning of the story.
 
Other extra people: Used for the rebellion army, rebels during the annual rebellion Holiday banquet, Hunters, and Followers of Mira Coretta.

Act 1, Scene 1:
 
(Setting: Open stage, in darkness, unable to recognize the bold figures on the stage.)
 
Katrina (voice overheard): They say that life is dull, until you experience something truly
remarkable and something out of the ordinary happens, such as going on the adventure of your life or discovering your dark past or becoming an international criminal or falling in love. In the teenage period of my life, I experienced all of those things. But I found myself in a heck of a mess. A big mess. Something that not many fifteen year-olds experience. And my life was a heck of a chaotic problem that it isn’t even funny. Sometimes I blame it on Devon, but most of the time, I blame it all on Eric, just because he blames things on me too. But if I started from the beginning, I would say it started with my mother, Selena. There were battles. It was all about freedom and liberty and stuff like that, when I fought. I won in the end, of course. But I lost a lot of things too, a lot of people and memories I will never forget and always miss. I promised Eric I would tell someone my story before I died, so here I am. I’ve got time, and I’m feeling good about this story of my journey. I’d love to tell you about it and say ‘Oh, I jumped of a burning building with a bunch of bad guys running after me all the while carrying a ten-pound pack on my back.’ And then you’d say, ‘How cool!’ and I’d be your lifelong hero or something stupid like that. I’m going to start with the oldest, most overused cliché in the book. If April were here to hear me tell you this story, I shouldn’t even use this phrase. She would kill me if she heard me say this. But I will, only because it fits well and is the best way, possibly the only way, to tell this story. It all started when…
 
(Lights open to an empty street with a house on the right side of the stage. On the left side is an indoor restaurant full of light and joyful voices. Katrina exits from the restaurant door, slowly backing away in a waitress’ uniform, black pants with a white shirt. She stands on the doorsteps, looking to the door of the restaurant. Marvin pokes his head out from the door waves to her.)
 
Katrina (smiling): I’ll see you later! Thank you so much for letting me work today,
Marvin. I really needed that extra money.
 
Marvin (leaning out of the door): No, thank you! I really needed help with saving tables
since Ryan called in sick last night.
 
Katrina: Bye! See you tomorrow!
 
Marvin (closing the door): Dido!
 
(Katrina walks across the street and to her apartment on the left. She takes out her keys. An unusual, rustling sound comes from the bushes next to her house. She stops and looks around.)
 
Katrina (innocently): Hello?
 
(Noise continues from the bushes, louder)
 
Katrina (backing away from the door and to the bushes unconsciously): Hello?
 
(Eric, dressed in black, jumps from the bushes. He shoves her to a nearby van. Katrina struggles, doors of the van closes, and scene fades into darkness, with Katrina’s scream echoing through the darkness.)
 
Act 2, Scene 2:
 
(Setting: A dull grey room, with no windows and only one locked door. Katrina is lying on the floor, obviously knocked out, with her messy hair spread across the floor.)
 
Katrina (groaning): Where am I? Hello? Hello?
 
Eric (voice overhead): Please state your name and residential area.
 
Katrina (suddenly alert, leaning up to the ceiling): My name is Katrina Rachel Marie
Rowlings.
 
Eric (voice still overhead): Please state your residential area.
 
Katrina (looking upwards): Wait…who are you? Where am I and why?
 
Eric (voice still overhead): Please state your residential area.
 
Katrina (standing, arms folded): I’m not answering any other questions until you answer
mine.
 
(Silence overhead and Katrina sits of the floor, looking around. Door opens and a teenage man with scrappy brown hair and blue jeans walks in.)
 
Katrina: I don’t mean to be rude, but who are you?
 
Eric: I can ask you the same thing. My name is Eric Regalato.
 
Katrina: That’s nice. Why did you kidnap me?
 
Eric (taking a seat next to her): I need your help.
 
Katrina (coldly): You know, there are nicer ways of asking for help other than
kidnapping me.
 
Eric: Yeah, about that…
 
Katrina (standing up): Well, since you’ve got me here, tell me what you want that is so
important that you have to kidnap me to ask me.
 
Eric: There’s a woman who wants to meet you. I don’t know why, so don’t ask.
 
Katrina: So you kidnap me because you don’t know why?
 
Eric: Something like that.
 
Katrina: Where am I? Tell me that first.
 
Eric: Um… I can’t tell you that.
 
Katrina (turning away, arms folded): Then I can’t help you.
 
Eric (desperately, grasping her shoulders): We really need your help.
 
Katrina (turning back to him): Fine. I’ll make you a deal. If you get your hands off me,
I’ll go see that woman. But you have to promise me that you’ll let me go and
never mess up my life again. Deal?
 
Eric (taking his hands off her): Deal. Let’s go.
 
Act 1, Scene 3:
 
(Setting: A room with sofas and a working desk. April sits at a desk on the right.)
 
(Eric and Katrina enter)
 
Eric (bowing): Katella, April! Mission accomplished.
 
April (looking up at her): Oh hello, Eric.
 
 
April (turning to Katrina): And you must be the girl I have been waiting to meet again my
whole life. Katella. That’s the Arcadian word for welcome and hello.
 
Katrina: Hi… I don’t think we’ve met before.
 
April (staring deeply into her eyes): I think we have, Katrina.
 
Katrina: Wait… how do you know my name?
 
April (smiling): You know me. My name is April Ryan. I knew your mother.
 
Katrina: You’re April? The lady Eric told me to meet!
 
April: Yes, I believe he did. Eric is a charming guy.
 
Katrina: Perhaps you can explain everything here.
 
April (puzzled): What needs explaining? You’re here, safe and sound.
 
Katrina: There’s just one problem… I don’t know why.
 
April (eyebrows raised): What do you mean you don’t know why? Maybe Eric didn’t tell
you.
 
Katrina (eyes moving slyly to Eric): Eric didn’t tell me what, exactly?
 
April: Don’t get mad at him. He didn’t know why he was supposed to kidnap you. Take a
seat.
 
Katrina (still standing): I’m not taking a seat until you tell me how you know about me.
 
April: I said we had met before, Katrina. It was true. We have met many times before.
Many, many times. I’m the one who helped you get out of that orphanage when you were seven. I also helped you escape detection from being a runaway orphan. If you remember, my messages were sent in dreams, the same dreams you have had ever since you could remember.
 
Katrina (shocked and surprised): You? It was you?
 
(April smiles slightly)
 
Katrina: It was you! You were the one who sent me those dreams. And if you sent me
those dreams of what the rebellion is up to... that means you’re a criminal!
 
Eric (putting his hands on her shoulders): Katrina, please! This is not what it seems like!
 
Katrina (pulling away): Don’t give me that! I’m going to the authorities right now!
 
(Walks angrily at to the door, but Eric steps in front of her).
 
Eric (blocking her way): You’re not going anywhere until you’ve heard the other side of
the story.
 
Katrina (coldly): I’ve heard enough.
 
April (quietly): Eric, move out of the way.
 
(Eric shoots April a confused look, but moves out of the way).
 
Katrina (moving forward): Thank you.
 
April (as Katrina’s hand is turning the door knob): I wouldn’t do that if I were you.
 
Katrina (not looking, but stops): Give me a good reason. What can I get out of this?
 
April (pretending to be interested in her writing): You’ll get a lot about this situation, I
guarantee. Well, if you report us to the authorities, we will surely disappear. Or, if you tell them and they catch us, we will certainly tell them you’re a runaway orphan. And we can prove it. All we have to do is convince them to check your ID card.
 
Katrina (looking at her dangerously): You wouldn’t dare.
 
April (brushing it off lightly): You didn’t seem to hesitate to tell the government about
us. Go on then, Katrina. Open the door and we’ll see who’s going to be in prison too.
 
Katrina (protesting): You’re blackmailing me!
 
April (sweetly): We prefer to call it ‘cooperation,’ deary. It makes us sound more likable.
 
Katrina (growling): Yeah, it does… what do you want with me anyway, seeing I’m going
to have to sit through this.
 
(Katrina takes a seat)
 
Eric (collapsing into a single chair): Fire away, April.
 
April (pacing around the room): Katrina, the reason I wanted to see you is because I
knew your mother.
 
Katrina (suddenly alert): You knew my mother?
 
April: Yes. I did. Once upon a time. She’s… gone now, but I’ll tell you about her too.
But meanwhile, please don’t interrupt.
 
Katrina: Okay.
 
 
April (still pacing): I was your mother’s best friend, along with another girl named Zoë
Castillo. We were only fifteen when we met, just like you now.
 
Eric (muttering): This is when it gets crazy.
 
April (ignoring Eric): I was born in Aristica, the capital city of Arcadia. It was a city
fairly close to where your mother, Selena, lived. Zoë lived in Stark, in a small
town named Titral Rouyal. We had been having these dreams for the longest times ever and frankly, we all got sick of not knowing what they were about. Later, we found out the dreams we were having we about the prophecy of our destinies.
 
(Examines a paperweight while leaning on her desk).
 
April (continuing): As you know, Devon came to power as ruler of Stark. He tried to take
over Arcadia using his army of guards, called Hunters. Your mother, Zoë, and I joined them to help the rebellion. They lost, Arcadia was reduced to ruins, and Zoë betrayed us, killing your mother. You father disappeared and left some other man to talk his place.
 
(April sits back at her desk)
 
April: I later found out that the dreams we had been having when we were younger had
told the future. I had a vision once that one of us would die and only one. That was Selena who had. We had foretold many things that we did not recognize would come true until it was too late.
 
Eric: The End.
 
Katrina: So… what do you want me to do about that? What’s the point? You want me to
help you defeat Devon because you mother tried to and failed? You want me to
take her place?
 
(April and Eric look at her suggestively).
 
Katrina (laughing nervously): You’re not serious, are you?
 
April (still staring): Yes, that’s exactly what we want you to do.
 
Katrina (protesting): But why can’t you do it? You have more experience than me.
 
(Door opens and Trianna enters)
 
Trianna (coldly): Because, Katrina, Devon wouldn’t suspect a child to kill him. You can
be a surprise move from the rebellion.
 
Katrina (turning to her): Who the heck are you?
 
Eric (looking asleep): Trianna Zenger, the battle strategist of the rebellion.
 
Katrina (eyebrows raised): You want me to do this… job, because of the death of my
mother?
 
Trianna (shots April a look of seriousness): You told her that much already? When we
barely know her?
 
April (sighing): She has a right no know, Trianna. It’s her family history.
 
Trianna (haughtily): Well, I don’t approve of this. Her mother made a very big mistake
when she broke the rules and had her.
 
Katrina (immediately rising from the couch in anger): Are you calling me a mistake?
 
April (rolling her eyes): Trianna, my friend, how long much you hold these grudges. It
was just an accident…
 
Katrina (yelling at April): What do you mean an accident?
 
Eric (sighing sleepily and looking away): All three of you, cut it out, please…
 
(Katrina, April, and Trianna shoot each other dark looks and sits down away from each
other. Door opens and Alder walks in).
 
Alder (cheerfully): Katella, everyone! How’s everything—?
 
(Sees angry faces and feels the heated tension in the air)
 
Alder (slower and in a regular voice, turns to Katrina): Hello. My name is Alder Calahari.
 
Katrina (unenthusiastically): Hello. I’m a mistake and an accident.
 
Alder (trying to keep smiling): Nice to meet you.
 
Eric: Hello, Alder. This is Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings, Selena’s daughter.
 
Alder (nodding): I thought so. I felt her presence, as if Selena was alive again.
 
(Turns to April and Trianna).
 
Alder: I guess that’s why you both were fighting.
 
Trianna (suddenly): April thinks that she will help us—
 
April (hotly): She will! She is—
 
Alder: Whoa. Slow down. Maybe she needs to know why you both say she’s and
‘accident’ and a ‘mistake.’ I honestly don’t think she is.
 
Katrina: You heard that?
 
Alder; I most certainly did. You cannot believe how loud these women really scream.
 
Eric: I suppose I’ll be the one to tell her. Katrina, you mother and your father, along with
everyone else in this room except me, was on the High Council of Arcadian Elders. They’re the people who decide what we’re going to do next and where. Their job is to protect the rebellion and make everything work. They are not allowed to marry or have any romantic relationships with anyone either because they feared that love would only delay them from focusing on their important job.
 
Katrina: So let me get this straight… my mother and father got married and had me…
which was against the rules. Now you want me to finish the job my mother and you gave up, which was to fight for Arcadia and against Devon. Is that right?
 
April: Yes, except that we didn’t give up yet. The rebellion is still up and running to this
second.
 
Trianna (standing up and opening the door): I’m telling you, this is crazy and it’s never
going to work. All she’s going to do is make things worse than they already are.
 
(Slams the door)
 
Eric: Some temper she’s got.
 
Katrina (muttering): I’ve noticed.
 
Alder: Trianna’s just feeling grouchy right now. She’s in charge of many things here.
Don’t mind her.
 
Katrina: I just don’t understand what the heck her problem is. She hates me.
 
April: Well, Katrina, the truth is, Trianna hates everyone. But the question still stands:
Are you going to help us or not?
 
Katrina: Well, judging by you kidnapping me, threatening to tell the government I’m a
runaway orphan, and calling me an accident, I guess you can count me in.
 
Eric (immediately straightening): Seriously?
 
Katrina (sarcastically): No, Eric, I’m going to say ‘no’ so you can turn me to the
government and get exposed as a runaway orphan and die.
 
Eric (returning sarcasm): Hmm… sounds like a good plan. Let’s do it!
 
April: Stop the sarcasm, both of you! We’ve got work to do. Eric, please go and notify
the Council of an emergency meeting. Tell them Selena’s daughter has agreed to join us and that we must discuss terms.
 
Eric (walking out the door): Sure, but, turning her over to the government sounded
better…
 
April (crossly): I said, ‘drop it!’
 
Eric (voice fading as he closes the door): Okay… okay…
 
Alder (lifting himself up from the sofa): Well, I’d better get going too. I have to prepare
for the meeting.
 
Katrina: Bye!
 
(Alder exits the stage)
 
April: Take a seat, Katrina.
 
(Katrina takes a seat and April continues not to look at her).
 
April (looks to Katrina): You know that I am your legal guardian now.
 
Katrina: Explain that to the government.
 
April: Actually, I am. I should have been. When you were born, your mother appointed
Alder and I to be your godparents. But since we fought against Devon, he took that right from us.
 
Katrina: I still think you are my legal guardian. Devon’s not as great in Stark anymore.
Things are as bad as ever in Stark… poverty and deseise and things like that.
 
April: Well, if you’re going to help us, I’ve got to be the one to train you. Eric can help
too. He’s been training all his life.
 
Katrina: What happened to his parents?
 
April (shortly, avoiding the subject): They died.
 
Katrina: Oh… that’s… unfortunate.
 
April: It’s more than unfortunate.
 
(Eric enters through the door)
 
Eric: Just delivered the news. The council wants to see her too.
 
April: Great. Tell them we’ll be there.
 
(Eric nods and exits)
 
April: Well, you’re going to need something more presentable than what you’re wearing
right now. See if anything fits you from that old closet of mine.
 
(Points to an old wardrobe in the corner)
 
April (picking up a heavy stack of papers): I’ll be back in ten. I have to drop these off at
the command center.
 
Katrina: Bye. See you.
 
(April opens the door)
 
Katrina: Oh, and April?
 
April (turns back to her one last time): Hmm?
 
Katrina: Thank you for doing this, for helping me find out about my family history. I’m
really grateful.
 
(April smiles, door closes, scene fades into darkness).
 
Act 1, Scene 4:
 
(Setting: A normal room, bare stage, with ten chairs in a circle. Seven of the ten chairs are empty).
 
Drake: April’s coming with Katrina. Eric said so.
 
Trianna: I think this is a very bad decision, Drake, and you know it. She could easily be a
spy for Devon.
 
Bobby: Have faith, Trianna…
 
Patrick (snorting, rolling eyes skeptically): Like she needs it. Didn’t she accurately
predict the outcome of the last battle?
 
Joann (in her usual small voice): You mean the Battle at Tides, Elder Patrick?
 
Patrick: Yes, that one! She predicted that we would win—
 
Trianna (finishing the sentence): —and we did! Why can’t you just believe me on this
one?
 
Carl: She has a point. Trianna had predicted things accurately. Perhaps this is just
another thing we should trust her on.
 
Alder: But it doesn’t mean that her visions will stay accurate forever! I tell you, I felt
Selena’s presence within her.
 
Trianna: I felt it too, but it was only a flicker!
 
Bobby: Perhaps she is just beginning to adjust to her new life here. After all, she has just
barely agreed.
 
(Door opens; Katrina, Eric, and April enter unnoticed).
 
Patrick (indigently): I sill side with Trianna! He statistics had always been accurate!
Katrina could look so nice and innocent on the outside, but I do not think it is wise to trust her immediately.
 
April (raising her eyebrows): Not wise, Elder Patrick?
 
(Everyone turns and April walks over to Patrick, who is standing).
 
April (continuing): You think it is not wise to trust her?
 
Patrick (hiding his surprise): Yes! Your judgment has faltered this time, April. It is not
wise to trust her!
 
(Points finger at Katrina).
 
Katrina (in defense): Hold on a minute.
 
(Everyone turns to her).
 
Patrick: What this council thinks is not your business.
 
Katrina: It’s about me, which makes it mine.
 
(Silence)
 
Katrina: You talked about trusting me immediately was not wise, right?
 
Patrick: Don’t tell me what I already know.
 
Katrina: I’m just making sure I heard what you said. You’re the man who replaced my
father on the council fifteen years ago, aren’t you?
 
Patrick (stiffly): What does that have to do with anything?

Katrina: Everything. Isn’t being wise based on experience, not knowledge, or Elder
Trianna’s ‘statistics’ as you call it? April’s been on the council longer than you, so she is wiser than you, right?
 
Eric (muttering): In your face…
 
Patrick: But I was depending on Trianna’s judgment and she is older than April herself.
 
Katrina: But April has more experience in battle. Trianna only took the place of Zoë
when she… left.
 
Bobby: Where did you hear that from?
 
Katrina: April told me.
 
Trianna (suddenly): You see! Katrina had been trusted faster than we can judge her! That
spells danger for the rebellion.
 
Drake (sighing): Look, whether Katrina is really on our side or not, the damage has been
done. She knows about us.
 
Katrina (bowing): I am really on your side.
 
Joann (lightly): Let’s hope that to be true. But nevertheless, Elder Drake is right. Now
can the meeting finally start in peace? Without any pre-judgments held?
 
April (taking the eight seat): Carry on, Joann, before we start fighting again.
 
Alder (to Eric and Katrina): Go ahead and take a seat.
 
(Eric and Katrina sit in their seats).
 
Alder: I have finished the invitations from the annual banquet. I finished the last one
before I came here.
 
(Hands a stack of envelopes for everyone to see).
 
Carl: That’s absolutely wonderful. We’ll have to send those out personally to avoid
detection.
 
April (explaining to Katrina): Every year, we send out invitations to the other rebels in
the system to an enjoyable banquet around this time of year. It’s a secret ‘meeting’ I guess you can say. We all meet here six months from now to discuss issues and enjoy a little free time from our jobs. You’re invited too, since you joined the rebellion.
 
Katrina (muttering to herself): I really didn’t have a choice.
 
Eric: It’s a nice time. You should go.
 
Carl (with sarcasm): And you shouldn’t, after what you did last year.
 
Eric (giving him a small smirk): Yeah, about that…
 
Katrina: What happened?
 
Bobby: Well, little mister hyper-active here set a small fire in the kitchen last year. He
ruined the main courses and the delicious dessert. It exploded and all of our guests’ outfits were fully covered in fettuccine alfredo pasta sauce and wet tiramisu.
 
Katrina (laughing): What are you going to do this year, Eric?
 
Eric (protesting): It was an accident! And cleaning up the ballroom took a month! It
wasn’t fair because it wasn’t my fault.
 
Katrina (skeptically, smoothly): Right…
 
Eric (angrily): I’m serious!
 
Katrina (seriously): It’s okay. I believe you.
 
Eric (hopefully): Really?
 
Katrina (letting out a fit of giggles): No!
 
Eric (muttering): No one believes me.
 
Katrina (regaining seriousness): So we’re in Arcadia?
 
April: Actually, we’re in Stark. Arcadia is fully reduced to ruins.
 
Katrina: But that’s suicide!
 
April: What do you mean suicide?
 
Katrina: Having your headquarters here in Stark! In the capital city of New Devon!
Where they can burst in at any moment and the rebellion will be ruined.
 
Trianna (triumphantly): That’s exactly what I said when Arcadia fell! Why have the new
secret headquarters in Stark? That would be a fatal mistake! For once in my life, I agree with you.
 
Carl: Trianna, my friend, you seem to have overlooked the fact that this very building
we are in is the very same factory that produces all passport and vise transactions in and out of the whole Empire.
 
Eric: What Elder Carl basically means is that have our headquarters here gives us the
chance to copy and make fake ID’s easily because over eighty-five percent of the people who work here also work for the rebellion.
 
Trianna: But this branch of work is also under constant scrutiny, which makes it harder to
convince the inspectors from the Empire that we are doing our job without any acts of treason.
 
Katrina: For once in my life, I actually agree with you.
 
(Katrina and Trianna stare at each other with extreme dislike).
 
Katrina and Trianna (together, at the same time): That’s the last time I’m going to agree
with you.
 
Drake: Okay… slow down. Let’s go back to the calm, diplomatic discussion we were
having.
 
Eric (muttering): Like that’s possible…
 
Bobby (reminding): Have faith… anything else that we have to discuss about? Besides
personal prejudices against others?
 
(Glares intensely at Trianna and Katrina; Silence).
 
Bobby: Nothing? Well then, meeting adjourned. Have a nice week.
 
(Everyone gets up, pushes chairs back, and scene fades into darkness).
 
End of Act 1
 
Act 2, Scene 2:
 
(Setting: A ballroom with two winding staircases leading from a top balcony with a door; people are dancing and talking loudly at the tables below).
 
(April and Katrina enter balcony above, in elegant dresses, classical music is playing).
 
Katrina (happily): I can’t believe that is has already been six months since we met. It
feels like it was just yesterday Eric kidnapped me. Now it’s the annual Banquet and I’m not even fluent in the rebellion’s nature.
 
April: The nature of the rebellion has to be hard to understand, Katrina. Didn’t I tell you
about that in our Ancient Arcadian History Studies?
 
Katrina (bored, rolling eyes): Yes, April. But I’m so glad that I’ll finally be able to meet
other people my age who work for the same great cause.
 
April (looking at her with a smile): I think that you’re only glad that you don’t have any
studying to do today.
 
Katrina (laughing): And that too. Eric asked me to come with him yesterday. Who asked
you to the banquet?
 
April: Alder asked me a week ago, but I only wanted to go as friends—
 
(Alder and Eric make their way up the stairs to April and Katrina to greet them).
 
Alder (giving April a huge hug): Katella! I’m glad you could come on this wonderful
evening!
 
Eric (to Katrina, tipping an invisible hat): Howdy!
 
(Katrina laughs).
 
Alder (taking April’s hand): Come. Everyone’s waiting to see you, but I’m afraid all they
want to talk about is politics.
 
April (smiling): I don’t mind.
 
(Alder, April, Eric, and Katrina walk down the stairs to the tables. They stop at a table with Trianna and Bobby).
 
Bobby (upon noticing their arrival): Katella! April, Katrina, have some cider.
 
(Bobby pours four glasses of Apple Cider into wine glasses and hand the glasses to them; Everyone takes a seat.)
 
Katrina (taking her glass): Thank you.
 
Bobby (continuing): So, Katrina! You’ve finally gotten the barrier of learning the formal
Arcadian language, I’ve heard. How was it?
Katrina (chuckling): I can tell you one thing: It wasn’t easy.
 
Bobby: I bet it wasn’t. Eric took two year to learn it.
 
Eric: I wasn't practicing constantly, so that’s why.
 
Bobby: He’s just jealous.
 
Katrina (to Eric): So… set any fires off lately?
 
Eric (laughing): No. But maybe later, if you want. I can take you.
 
Bobby (turning to him, looking serious): No, Eric, I forbid you to. We had at least fifty
declined invitations this year and we certainly don’t need any more for next year. If I hear one word that you did something like set off a small cherry bomb or—
 
Eric (interrupting, sarcastically cheerful): Hey! I’ve never set of a bomb! Thanks for the
idea, Bobby!
 
Bobby (dangerously): Eric…
 
Eric (regaining seriousness): Only joking. Hey, Trianna, did you tell them about the
special guests we’re having tonight?
 
Trianna: No, not yet. I was hoping you wouldn’t say anything about it, Eric. Some people
in this room still oppose them.
 
Bobby (putting his arms around her neck): Relax, Trianna! Everything will be great!
 
Katrina: Who are the ‘special guests’?
 
April (mysteriously): You’ll see.
 
Alder (pulling April’s hand): Do you want to dance?
 
April (pulling back): No, not really—
 
Alder: You’re only saying that because you don’t know how to dance.
 
April (boldly): I do. I just don’t want to right now.
 
Alder (smoothly, skeptically): Right…
 
April: I’m serious. Fine. I’ll show you.
 
(April and Alder walk to the ballroom floor)
 
Trianna (to Katrina): So, I’ve heard April taught you combat and battle skills.
 
Katrina (shortly): Yes, she did.
 
Eric (to Bobby): You’d better get everybody’s attention so we can start the Welcome
Greeting.
 
Bobby (standing up): Yes… I have to get my speech notes from my room, thought.
Trianna, do you want to come with me?
 
Trianna (happily): Sure.
 
(Walks with Bobby to the left.
 
Katrina (to Eric): So who’s the ‘special guests’?
 
Eric: I don’t know myself.
 
Katrina (referring to the first time they met): You have a habit of doing things for
unknown reasons, don’t you?
 
Eric (proudly): Yep, that’s me.
 
(Bobby and Trianna are seen approaching).
 
Eric: They look good tighter.
 
Katrina: He’s the only person she’s nice to.
 
Eric: Once upon a time, there was everyone.
 
Katrina: What? Trianna actually was nine to everyone—
 
(Trianna and Bobby sit down).
 
Bobby (waving papers): I have them. I’ll go announce everything now.
 
(Walks to the podium in the middle of the ballroom floor; music ends, people walk back to their sears).
 
Bobby: Katella, everyone. Welcome to the annual Banquet of the Arcadian rebellion. It is
a warm pleasure to welcome you this year. It has been such a successful year for us, after the fall of the Devonian settlement in Tario.
 
(Whoops, yells, and whistles emerge from the crowd with small claps)
 
Bobby (raising his glass and everyone flows): It has been a true miracle that we have
come together sagely and undetected. The rebellion thanks everyone for their generous help and support. Enjoy the night and good health too—
 
(Doors burst open with a bang, Hunters pour out, Debris fly, and tables are knocked over. Glasses are smashed, people scream and run, trying to get out, but engulfed in completed chaos).
 
Eric (yelling, pulling out a sword): Katrina, grab Trianna and run!
 
Katrina: These are our special guests?
 
Eric: I told you they would come!
 
Katrina: What’s going on?
 
Alder (grabbing April’s hand): Hunters! From Devon. He found out headquarters!
 
Katrina (to April): I thought you said they would never discover us here!
 
April: I know what I said! Alder, get you hands off me! I can fight!

Alder: I know you can! But not this time.
 
Drake (to Katrina): You’re in charge. Take everyone to Vienna Woods. Trianna will
know the way. It’s not far from the border.
 
April: Wait… we’re going back to Arcadia?
 
Carl (swinging his sword): Duh!
 
Joann (approaching): Why, that’s impossible! We’ll never make it in time.
 
Bobby (desperately): I don’t care. Just try… have faith. Go! See what you can do!
 
April (fiercely): I want to fight. This is my land we’re talking about!
 
Alder: No! Just go!
 
(Katrina and a group of people head to the right side of the stage; a bunch of girls in brown cloaks charge past them and drive the Hunters back).
 
Katrina (amazed at their great fighting skills): Who the heck are they?
 
Zoë: Go to Vienna Woods. Now. Take everyone with you, including the men.
 
Katrina: Wait… who are you? Are you on my side?
 
Zoë (calmly and mysteriously, looking her seriously in the eyes): I am always on your
side. Go! We will explain later.
 
(Katrina and rebellion run off the right stage and scene into darkness).
 
Act 2, Scene 2:
 
(Setting: A clearing in Vienna woods)
 
(Everyone runs in, except the group of girls).
 
Joann: We got through in time!
 
Carl (panting): They saved our lives… I’m glad we invited them.
 
April (coldly and proudly): I could have fought perfectly fine without their help, thank
you… Trianna, are you feeling alright?
 
(Trianna is in a blank, sitting on the ground).
 
Trianna (suddenly): What? Oh, yes.
 
Katrina (placing her hands on her hips, panting): Who were they?
 
Zoë (walking from the right with the girls following behind her): We are the Followers of
Mira Coretta, the ninth High Arcadian Council Member of the royal Arcadian Empire.
 
Trianna: Oh, great. Not them again.
 
Katrina (to Trianna): What do you mean ‘again’?
 
Carl: Katrina, these are the Followers of Mira Coretta, like they said.
 
Katrina: Ninth council member? I thought there were only eight.
 
Eric: Technically, there were nine once upon a time. But the ninth council member
abandoned her post to create a group of girls who promise to never have any romantic relationships.
 
Mire (coming to the front): Actually, you left the fact why I left the council.
 
Katrina: Why do I have this odd feeling this has something to do with me or my mother?
 
Trianna: It does. Your mother was part of that group.
 
Katrina: So…
 
Eric: Ever since your mother had you, the Council and the Followers have been enemies.
Before your mother had you, she was both a Follower and a Council member. The Council had worked well with the Follower too. Care you figure out everything else from that?
 
Katrina (thinking hard): Wait up. I think I have it. Before my mother had me, everyone
was fine with each other because they both agreed that the Council Members should not get married.
 
Eric: you’ve got that right. The Council waved off the incident as a ‘display of
compassion and love for the greater good.’ The Followers argued that it was a romantic relationship and Selena and your father should be kicked off the Council.
 
Trianna: That’s where it fell apart. The Followers decided that we were filthy liars and
broke of from the Arcadian Rebellion, but still fight against Devon.
 
Mira: The Council invited us to the Banquet after fifteen years of no contact to discuss
terms of regulations and perhaps introduce a rapport based on trust and honor.
 
Joanna: If we’re going to start a new relationship, perhaps I should introduce you to
everyone.
 
Mira (independently): We can do that by ourselves, thank you very much.
 
Eric (muttering to Katrina): They’re still independent and a bit snobbish I see.
 
Mira: I am Mira Coretta, of course.
 
(Gestures to Zoë).
 
Mira: This is my person assistant an second in command, Zoë.
 
Katrina (to Zoë): Zoë? Zoë Castillo?
 
Zoë (looking offended): Of course not! I am not that immoral traitor who gave the
Arcadians to Devon.
 
Mira: This is Zoë Willett, not Zoë Castillo. I found her wandering in the streets of Alegra,
She volunteered her services to me and she has been loyal to me since she joined.
 
Katrina (to Zoë): Oh… I’m sorry. I was mistaken.
 
Zoë (coldly): It’s fine. Many people make that mistake too.
 
Katrina (muttering): So I’m a statistic now.
 
April: We should send scouts out to assess the situation and damages of our headquarters.
They might have taken all our plans.
 
Mira: We can do that.
 
April (surprised): Really? You’ll agree to help us?
 
Mira: Isn’t that what I just said?
 
Alder: Yes, yes… wonderful! I’ll see if I can contact he other rebellion troops on other
branches in Stark. If the Hunters have broken through our databases, they will send their troops to invade the other systems and paralyze the rebellion completely.
 
Drake: Bobby and I shall se if we can set up a temporary shelter for us… anyone else
who would like to help us is welcome.
 
Eric: (tipping his invisible hat): Howdy. I’ll help you.
 
(Bobby, Alder, Eric, Carl, and many other walk off the right stage).
 
Katrina: I’ll look for some wood to start a small fire… April, what else do you want me
to do?

April (caught offguard): Um…. Nothing, really. Just don’t make a fire that will lead the
Hunters straight to us.
 
Trianna (to April): What are you going to do?

April: I’m… I’m going to take a walk.
 
(April walks off into the woods).
 
Katrina: A walk? What’s up with her?
 
(The Followers turn away and exit left stage).
 
Trianna: I hope she doesn’t try to do anything stupid, like try to take back the
headquarters by herself. That would be very unfortunate.
 
Joann: Now it’s just us.
 
Katrina: I’m glad this safe place wasn’t far from the border.
 
Trianna: We would’ve been fried if we weren’t so near to it.
 
Katrina: Tell me about my father.
 
Trianna: Don’t you already know that story?

Katrina; Yes, but I want to hear it again.
 
Joanna: Your father was the captain of the rebellion army. His name was James Rowlings
and he was the best man we ever had, after Bobby, of course. After they found out her was the father of Selena’s daughter, he was ashamed beyond all his respect and honor. Many people disregarded him and lost trust for him. James knew he was going to be kicked off the council. Not asked to leave, but forced and demanded to leave. So, avoiding the blow and social embarrassment, he disappeared and left his job.
 
Trianna: The six months later, a letter arrived to us with a man you now know as Elder
Patrick Lead, saying that James had died and he sent Patrick to take his place and take car of all his previous affairs.
 
Katrina: My mother was dead by that time, wasn’t she?
 
Joann: Yes. Patrick had proposed to keep you, but two days before, April had set out for
Stark with you, to leave you in an orphanage.
 
Katrina: Why didn’t she just keep me? She was my appointed godmother, along with
Alder as my godfather.
 
Trianna: You were so close to living a whole new life with us. But it wouldn’t have been
any easier than the life you live now. If you were captured with the rebellion, they would’ve killed you.
 
Katrina: Devon takes orphans and raises them as Hunters, I heard. But that’s only for the
boys. The girls he just kills.
 
Joann: Yes, but you were a smart girl. You got out of the orphanage and lived your
own life, the one you have now.
 
Katrina: It was a harsh life.
 
Trianna: I can imagine.
 
Katrina: But I don’t understand this. Why does Patrick hate me now? You said he freely
volunteered to take care of me.
 
Joanna: I only know that he doesn’t hate you. He’s just stresses. And he’s Elder Patrick
to you.
 
Katrina: Yes. I forgot. Sorry.
 
Trianna: We’ve got a fire going, so we’d better—
 
(A scream comes from the left stage and Alder runs in with April in his arms).
 
Alder (yelling): I need a medic! NOW!
 
Katrina (jumping to her feet): What the heck happened to her?
 
Zoë (entering calmly behind Alder): An assassin bullet hit her.
 
Trianna (in shock): What?!
 
(Joanna calmly takes out bandages from her messenger bag and attends to April).
 
Eric: We saw it ourselves. April followed us and the Followers to check the headquarters
and she got hit… right above the heart.
 
Katrina (horrified): April!
 
April (weakly): No… I was so foolish… stupid. I didn’t think, didn’t look around… next
thing I knew, I was screaming… on the floor… pain near my heart… a blur… a flash…
 
Joann (rising up): I know… it’s… it’s…
 
Katrina (impatiently): Joann, what is it? Will she be okay?

Joanna: It’s Elder Joann to you.
 
Katrina (yelling at her with sarcasm): Joann, Elder Joann, Miss Joann, I don’t care! I need
to know if she will live or not!
 
Eric (putting his hand on Katrina): Kat… it’s… over.
 
Katrina (in disbelief): What? No!
 
April: Calm down, little one. I knew it was over the instant I was hit.
 
Katrina (cautiously; to Joann): How long does she have left?
 
Joann: It could be two hours to two minutes. But at the rate she is deteriorating, that odds
look bad.
 
Katrina (breathing heavily, scared): How bad?
 
Joann (biting her lip and shaking her head): Very bad.
 
Alder (taking April’s hand): April…
 
April (voice fading): Alder… take care of Katrina for me.
 
Alder (shouting). No! It’s not over! Get some bandages jeer!
 
Drake: We lost them during the raid, Alder. She’s dying.
 
Alder (blinded by tears): No… she’s going to live….
 
April (sharply, making Alder jump); Alder! I am dying. Do you not wish to hear my last
proposals?
 
Alder (calming down): Of course
 
April (faintly): Take….care of Katrina
 
Alder: Always.
 
April (falter): Katrina….please……
 
Katrina (moving forward): Yes, I am here.
 
April (taking her hand): Do not give up. When there is nothing left to believe in, when
things are down and hopeless, believe in yourself. Be the hope for the rebellion. Bring down Devon…never give up.
 
Katrina (sadly): April…
 
April: God, I never imagined dying this way. One last One last thing. Alder…
 
Alder: Yes?
 
April: When she comes looking for me, tell her I am sorry about leaving her.
 
Alder: I am too.
 
April (turning to Katrina): Goodbye…
 
(April closes her eyes, dies, and scene fades to darkness.)
 
End of Act 2 (Intermission 10-15 minutes)
 
Act 3, Scene 1 (setting: cleaning in Vienna Woods)
 
Alder (head in his hands): I could’ve saved her.
 
Bobby: It’s not your fault, Alder. She said it was her fault herself.
 
Alder (shouting): No! Don’t you get it? I was right there, a few feet from her! I saw the
bullet and I couldn’t move. It was my fault!
 
Eric (looking to Alder with sadness): It was never your fault, Alder. No one blames you.
 
Carl: Alder, we’ll find the killer and bring him to justice.
 
Alder: It won’t do any good. April’s dead and we can’t change that.
 
Katrina: April once said that when bad things happen, you do not stay where you are, nor
fight for the sake of revenge, but rebound and move on.
 
Alder: If I just could have stayed beside her…
 
Trianna (sternly): Now, Alder, that’s enough. Stop.
 
Alder (shouting at Trianna): You don’t care, do you? You don’t’ care! You wanted her
gone for the longest time since you knew she was better than you!
 
Trianna (yelling): You think that? You think I was jealous? You are wrong, Calahari!
Wrong! She was old and so stupid, never able to take care of herself—
 
Katrina (screaming): Shut up! Shut up, you o9ld hag! April was far better, far wise than
you!
 
Trianna: you forget your place, Katrina! April is better dead than alive.
 
Bobby (yelling above them): Stop it! All of you.
 
Alder: That’s right. I’m taking a walk.
 
(Walks off the left side and the Followers walk past him).
 
Mira: What is wrong with him?
 
Trianna: He accuses me of being jealous of April’s talents.
 
Katrina: Don’t listen to her Carl; we have to enter Stork again soon. Devon’s forces are
closing in.
 
Patrick: But where will we go?
 
Carl: They’re waiting on the border for us. A siege.
 
Katrina: How are we supposed to get through without anyone knowing?
 
Zoë: That’s the question. We are able to help you in any way we can.
 
Patrick: What do you think, Bobby?
 
Bobby (sighing): What do I think? I think we should go to Artistica and bury April first.
Then we regain all contact from the rebellion groups inside Stark and see what we can do.
 
Trianna: How do we know that Devon doesn’t know what we’re planning? Only the
rebellion knew about the banquet and all envelopes were delivered safely without any interference, as always. So how did the thinkers know that we were part of the rebellion?
 
Mira: That’s true…they were tipped off. If they were doing their annual formal
inspections. They wouldn‘t have brought their weapons and such big armies. And they just fired immediately, instead of asking who we were or what we were doing.
 
Drake: Someone tipped them off, alright…but who?
 
Eleana (voice from the shadows, out of view). Espionage.
 
(Everyone jumps and looks around)
 
Bobby: Who are you? Where are you?
 
(Takes out his sword)
 
Eleana (moving forward): Don’t hurt me.
 
(Steps out completely in a brown traveling robe).
 
Patrick (taking out his sword and pointing it at her breast): Who are you?
 
Eleana: I’m not from Devon, if that’s what you wanted to know, I’ve been looking all
over for you.
 
Katrina: For us?
 
Eleana: Yes. My name is Eleana… Eleana Ryan.
 
(Everyone gasps)
 
Trianna (rolling her eyes and turns away): Not another child of a corrupt council
member…
 
Eleana: I was looking for my mother, April Ryan. I heard she was working for you.
 
(Everyone exchanges sorrowful glances).
 
Katrina: Eleana, you’re mother’s… dead.
 
Eleana (shocked, gasping): What?
 
Joann: Your mother died yesterday. You missed her by a day.
 
Trianna: Like it would’ve been a big deal of her if you had made it on time.
 
Eleana (yelling angrily): Excuse me? What’s that supposed to mean?
 
Trianna: It means exactly what I said. Your mother was useless.
 
Eleana (growling angrily): Look, I didn’t escape from an orphanage, run for my life,
battle a stupid spider that didn’t want to let me pass through the border, and go through a bunch of things I really didn’t want to do just to hear you talk trash about my mother. So why don’t you just lay off the rude remarks and show my mother.
 
Carl: Eleana, you’re mother’s dead.
 
Eleana (eyes with tears): You told me that already. You don’t have to rub it in my face. I
just want to see what she looked like… who she was.
 
(Joann points to April’s lifeless body; Eleana sinks to her knees next to her mother’s corpse, hugs it with tears in her eyes).
 
Eleana (standing up; in a small voice): Thank you.
 
Zoë: Anytime. Now, I don’t mean to rush you from this tragedy, but what were you
saying when you were in the forest shadows?
 
Eleana: The answer is espionage.
 
Drake: Espionage?
 
Eleana (confidently): Espionage. The art of spying.
 
Eric: So you’re saying there’s a spy among us?
 
Eleana: Exactly. It has to be someone who has a lot of access to valuable information
inside the rebellion.
 
Eric: Well, now that you mention a spy inside the rebellion, I think it could be…
 
(Looks at Katrina curiously).
 
Katrina (offended): Don’t look at me!
 
Eric: I wasn’t referring to you exactly.
 
Katrina (an idea dawning on her): hey, it could be…
 
Eric: Are you thinking that it could be Katrina?
 
Katrina (stuck in the light of the idea): Yeah… that makes sense!
 
(Eric stares at her, laughing)
 
Katrina (realizing her mistake): Wait! You did that on purpose. Shut up!
 
Eric (shrugging): Only playing. You don’t have access to any files anyway.
 
Bobby: Eleana, do you know who your father was?
 
Eleana: That’s a good question, but I have no answer.
 
Trianna: Wait… how do we know you’re not the spy?
 
Eleana (cockily): How do we know you’re not the one?
 
Trianna (aggressively): I asked you the question first.
 
Eleana (pressing on): So? I asked you it second.
 
Trianna: It’s the same question. What’s the difference?
 
Eleana: Maybe you just have to trust me?
 
Drake: Either way, Eleana, you’re welcome to stay here. You mother’s best friend also
had a child. Her name is Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings.
 
Katrina: Katella. That’s the Arcadian word for hello and welcome.
 
Eleana (impatiently): I know what it means. I learned the word ‘Aseea’ too. It means
‘goodbye’ or ‘farewell’. But that’s all the words I know from the Arcadian Language.
 
Katrina: There’s a tent April used to sleep in. If you want to, you can sleep there.
 
Eleana: Thank you.
 
(Alder walks in from the left).
 
Alder: Katella, everyone. I’m back.
 
(Freezes, stares at Eleana).
 
Alder: Ele… Who are you?
 
Eleana (looking at him curiously): You almost got my name. I’m Eleana Ryan.
 
Alder: April Ryan’s daughter.
 
Eleana: How do you know that? I didn’t mention that to you.
 
Alder: Isn’t it obvious? You look just like her.
 
Zoë: Except…
 
Carl: They eyes… April’s eyes were green, not golden brown like yours.
 
Bobby: You look very familiar.
 
Alder (quickly): Um, maybe we should sleep now. If we’re going to try to get back into
Stark, we’d going to need all the strength we can get.
 
Katrina: Good idea. I’ll take first watch and then trade with Elder Drake in two hours.
 
(Everyone starts to go to bed when a phone rings).
 
Katrina (picking up her phone: It’s mine. Go ahead and go to sleep. I’ll catch up later.
 
(Scene fades into darkness and Katrina answers her cell phone).
 
Katrina; Hello?
 
Dimoviti: Hello? Is this Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings?
 
Katrina (carefully): Yes. Who is this?
 
Dimoviti: My name is Dimoviti Volivit, but you must promise not to tell anyone about
me.
 
Katrina: Why? What’s wrong?
 
Dimoviti (sighing, nervously): Katrina, I need your help.
 
Katrina: Just explain to me what’s going on.
 
Dimoviti: I can’t. At least not right now. Not on the phone.
 
Katrina: Wha—What do you want me to do?
 
Dimoviti: Can you meet me at the corner of Main and Lotus Streets in Locosta on Friday
at 10:30 pm?
 
Katrina: Locosta? In Stark?
 
Dimoviti: In Stark. I know it will be hard for you, Katrina. You’re a hunted criminal in
Stark. But I really need your help. Can you make it?
 
Katrina: I…don’t know.
 
Dimoviti (desperately): Please! I can’t hide her any longer.
 
Katrina: Who?
 
Dimoviti: I… can’t tell you.
 
Katrina: I’m not going unless you tell me what’s going on.
 
Dimoviti: You have to come. Trust me… I have to go. He’ll find out and she and I will
be dead.
 
Katrina: Wait! What will happen? Why? I want to help you, but please, you’ve got to
explain!
 
Dimoviti: Shh. I work for Devon. Or at least I pretend to. I’m not part of the rebellion,
but I oppose Devon. I’m one of his close personal bodyguards.
 
Katrina: Wha—
 
Dimoviti: I have to go. You have to come. I’ll meet you there. I’m not lying Katrina.
Goodbye.
 
Katrina (quickly): No, no! Dimoviti, just tell me what this is all about. Why do you want
to meet me?
 
Dimoviti: I have someone I want you to meet.
 
Katrina (sarcastically): I don’t want to die just yet.
 
Dimoviti: No! I’m not tricking you to go to Devon. It’s a girl I want you to meet. She’s
only two years old.
 
Katrina (scowling): A baby? Who do you think I am, a fool? What’s so special about this
baby anyway?
 
Dimoviti (rushing): Her name is Maria. That’s all I can tell you right now. I have to go!
 
Katrina: So what’s so special about her? I’m not going unless you tell me that.
 
Dimoviti: She’s Maria Castillo, the daughter of Zoë Castillo.
 
Katrina (in shock): Zoë Castillo had a daughter?
 
(Silence, phone clicks)
 
Katrina: Hello? Dimoviti? Answer me.
 
(Silence).
 
Act 3, Scene 2:
 
(Setting: A dark street next to a park and a bench).
 
(Eric and Katrina enter from the left).
 
Eric; I’m telling you, this is not a good idea.
 
Katrina: He said he had Zoë Castillo’s daughter, Eric. He said so himself.
 
Eric: And that gives you the okay to trust him immediately?
 
(Silence).
 
Eric: Katrina, I don’t want you to die yet.
Katrina (wistfully): I just have this feeling he was telling the truth. 
Eric: So he just called you, and asked you to come here with not a slightest guarantee of            safety. You didn’t even tell the Council about this. 
Katrina (slightly irritated): Eric, it’s just a feeling. It’s almost 10:30 anyway. You’d better           going. I’ll meet you at the border line in an hour. And if I don’t come back in an h hour… tell the rebellion. 
Eric: Just be careful. 
(Runs off to the left, Dimoviti emerges from the right). 
Dimoviti (slowly): Hello… my name is Dimoviti Volivit. 
Katrina (carefully): Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings. 
Dimoviti (holding out his hand): It’s nice to meet you. 
Katrina: You too. 
Dimoviti: How about if we take a seat? 
(Both sit on the nearby park bench). 
Dimoviti: I’m so glad you could come. 
(Pulls out a baby from his coat in a wrapped blanket). 
Dimoviti: This is little Maria Castillo. 
(Katrina takes Maria from him). 
Dimoviti: Zoë had her two years ago. Then she left me to take care of her and d disappeared. Maria has been secretly living under my bed in a small cardboard b     box with straw. 
(Katrina takes off her jacket and wraps Maria in it). 
Dimoviti: It has been a long and hard year. Devon has displayed qualities I do not
appreciate. He has also grown more suspicious of me. He knows I am hiding something from him. 
Katrina (rocking Maria to sleep): What do you know about Zoë Castillo? 
Dimoviti (shaking his head): I only know as much as you know. But Zoë had Maria two y          years ago and then left me with her. She only left Maria. 
(Brief silence). 
Dimoviti (wistfully): And a fading fragrance of violet musk from her hair. 
Katrina (handing Maria back to him): She’s beautiful.
 
Dimoviti (taking Maria): She looks exactly like her mother.
 
(Silence)
 
Dimoviti: I want you to take Maria.
 
Katrina (in shock): What? Why?
 
Dimoviti: Devon suspects that I am hiding something from him, like I said. If he finds out
I have Zoë Castillo’s daughter, he can use her to manipulate the rebellion. 
 
Katrina: You said you do not agree with Devon. Why do you continue working with him?
 
Dimoviti: I swore myself in for life when I was younger. It was the stupidest mistake I
ever made. I agreed with him before, but now I see the light too late. 
 
Katrina: Then why not join the rebellion? We could use you as a spy. 
 
Dimoviti (shaking her head): Devon would easily find out. He knows me too well.
 
Katrina: How did you meet Zoë? 
 
Dimoviti: I didn’t. She met me. Zoë… she met me three years ago, when I was escorting
Devon to Royal. She greeted us into the city as some sort of leader. We stayed there for two months. When it was time to leave, I exchanged contact information with her and we began a long-distance relationship. 
 
(Clears his throat). 
 
Dimoviti: Next thing I knew, she was pregnant with Maria. Then she gave her to me and
left. I haven’t seen her since. 
 
Katrina: What were the last words you heard Zoë say to you? 
 
Dimoviti: I’m not so sure. I was asleep and I know she left Maria next to me. I think she
whispered in my ear the words, ‘Chat’a lee vorté ala’can.’ I don’t know what they mean, but I keep hearing them over and over again, even until now. Then I awoke and she was gone, with Maria at my side and a cold breeze coming from my open window. 
 
(Brushes Maria’s hair). 
 
Katrina: It’s amazing you’ve successfully hidden Maria under your bed for two years
without detection. 
 
Dimoviti (chuckling to himself): There were a lot of close calls, I swear. 
 
(Notices Katrina staring at him). 
 
Dimoviti (softly): I love Maria. She’s all I have left in my life. But if Devon finds out,
she will be endangered, I know Devon suspects something. I know he will end up ruining Maria’s life if his suspensions are true. That’s why I need you to take her from me. From danger. Trust me, Katrina, I don’t want to give her up because of the responsibility of guilt. I wasn’t supposed to have Maria, and I am ashamed. But I will do whatever it takes to protect her. She is young and innocent. She is my daughter. Is it not the father's duty to ensure the safety of his child?
 
Katrina: You're a good man, Dimoviti. But how am I supposed to explain this to the
rebellion?
 
Dimoviti: I was hoping they could take her in.
 
Katrina: I'll try, Dimoviti, but I'm not so sure that it will work.
 
Dimoviti: Have faith...
 
Katrina (smiling): You remind me of a man who says that same thing.
 
Dimoviti (smiling slightly): Yes, having faith does work sometimes...
 
Katrina (looking at her watch): I have to go. I'll take Maria with me. If I need to, I'll hide
her. It'll be easier to hide her with me.
 
Dimoviti (shaking her hands): Thank you. This means the world to me.
 
Katrina (taking Maria): Call me sometime.
 
Dimoviti: Katrina... one last thing. Those words Zoë said to me, or at least I thought so...
what do they mean?
 
Katrina; It's what they call a 'bi-phrase' in the Arcadian Language. It could mean two very
different things.
 
Dimoviti: What are the translations?
 
Katrina: One is ‘Remember me through my death’ and the other is ‘Patiently await my
return.’ It could easily mean either one.
 
Dimoviti (softly): So she could be dead or she could be alive and on the run… I would
die just to see her face once again.
 
Katrina (holding his hand): I’m pretty sure she’s alive. I promise you I’ll look for her.
And if I meet her, I’ll try to convince her to see you again.
 
Dimoviti (letting out a huge sigh and smiling hopefully): And at the final battle of
Arcadians against Devon, I promise you I shall come clean and fight by your side as a Starkian brother.
 
Katrina: Thank you.
 
Dimoviti (to Maria, kissing her on the forehead): Farwell, child of the stars…
 
(Dimoviti hurriedly walks off right stage, Katrina watches him, glances at Maria, smiles, and scene fades into darkness).
 
Act 3, Scene 3
 
(Setting: A clearing in Vienna Woods with tents set up, empty besides Katrina, Eric, and Maria).
 
Eric (shocked): You agreed to WHAT?
 
Katrina (irritated): If you ask me that question again, I swear I’ll—
 
Eric (holding Maria): I know, but I just want to make sure. Why did you agree to take
care of her?
 
Katrina: She’s the child of Zoë Castillo. The council will have to take her in.
 
Eric (scowling): You think the council is going to take her in? Just because she’s the
child of Zoë Castillo? Look, Kat, they’re not going to help you. One, Zoë Castillo wasn’t a good person either. She betrayed your mother. And two, Trianna won’t care if Maria was her own child. She just offended Eleana and she left while you were with Dimoviti.
Katrina: She WHAT? Why?
 
Eric: Apparently, Trianna has this big huge fight with her and they were throwing things
around. Trianna was talking trash about April again and Eleana had a big shouting match with her and… Trianna probably won, because Eleana grabbed her bags, yelled a few last things at Trianna, and ran into the night.
 
Katrina: What did she say?
 
Eric (scared): That’s the thing. She yelled that she would help Devon kill her for the
things she had said about her mother… and that she was wrong about trusting the rebellion to be her friend.
 
Katrina: You’re joking! Do you think she was the spy?
 
Eric: No, I sill think Katrina’s the one.
 
Katrina: Seriously!
 
Eric: Probably not. Eleana’s an innocent child. I think. But Devon can use her against us
if she went to him… we’ve go to get her before she gets to Devon.
 
Katrina (finally): By tonight.
 
(Scene fades to darkness momentarily, then back to the same scene in light without Maria).
 
Eric (sitting on the rock, hands crossed on his legs): No luck.
 
Katrina (tiredly): Same here. I’ve searched all night. How was Maria last night?
 
Eric: She was as silent and the sea.
 
Katrina: I’ve never heard her make any sound, now that I think of it. Maybe she likes to
sleep a lot.
 
Eric: Maybe she’s mute.
 
Katrina (shocked): Eric!
 
Eric: I’m only joking.
 
Katrina: We really need to find Eleana right now. If she turns to Devon’s side, things can
be deadly.
 
Eric: Well said. Who do you think tipped the Hunters off?
Katrina: I don’t know. The mystery puzzles me. The only person I can think of is—
 
Patrick (entering from the right): Bobby.
 
Katrina (turning to him): What?
 
Patrick: It’s Bobby. Bobby did it.
 
Eric: No way. Not the man who helped us win all those battles.
 
Patrick: Carl saw him talking to Devon on his phone last night. Carl confronted Bobby
and was forced to stop him by attacking Bobby. But he got away.
 
Eric: It all makes sense now! Bobby had access to everything. It could only be him.
 
Joanna (getting out of the tent): We were blinded by the fake hope… him always saying
‘have faith’ was actually—
 
Trianna (following after Joann with tears in her eyes): —blind faith.
 
Eric (kicking the dirt angrily): How could we have been so stupid?
 
Trianna (tearfully): How could we have not known?
 
Katrina (in a quiet voice): How could he have done this to us?
 
Drake (getting out of his tent): We have to leave. Now.
 
Joann (in a small voice): Where will we go?
 
Mira (coming from the left): West. To the Silver Sea. There is a shell cottage there where
I grew up.
 
Zoë (carefully): But it’s too close to…
 
Alder: It’s okay. We have to go now. It’s the only choice.
 
Joann (quietly): This is an agonizing defeat… I never thought Bobby would do this.
 
Katrina (grimly): It’s not over.
 
Act 3, Scene 4:
 
(Setting: An empty room in the Shell Cottage, with two windows, many sofas, a tall reading lamp, a coffee table, and books).
 
(Eleana walks in, picks up a book, and starts to read it, while humming innocently).
 
(Katrina and others walk in after a few moments).
 
Katrina (shocked): Eleana, what are you doing—?
 
Eleana (noticing them, jumping up, and screaming): What are you going here? Have you
been following me?
 
Katrina (waving her hands): No, no! We’ve just—
 
Eleana (shouting): You have been following me! Go away! I don’t ever want to see any
of you again!
 
Alder (moving closer to her): No, we haven’t! We’ve just been—
 
Eleana (jumping behind the couch away from them): No! You get away and leave.
NOW!
 
Mira (calmly): This is my house. What are you doing in it?
 
Eleana: It was abandoned! I hid her from her.
 
(Points at Trianna accusingly).
 
Trianna (angrily): Don’t point those filthy fingers at me!
 
Eleana (shouting back): Look who’s talking, you dirty hypocrite! Your mouth is just as
filthy!
 
Drake (weakly): Please, not another shouting match…
 
Eleana (ignoring him): Maybe you should just shut up!
 
Trianna: You’re not helping here, you traitor! Your mother would’ve done much better.
 
Eleana: Maybe Devon can help you. I’d like to see you dead after all the things you said!
 
Joann (shouting louder than usual): Alright, cut it out, you guys. That’s ENOUGH!
 
(Silence).
 
Joann (still yelling): Now everyone shut up and sit down. NOW!
 
(Everyone takes a seat except for Joann; Eleana and Trianna sit away from each other shooting each other dirty looks).
 
Eric (muttering to Katrina): I never thought she had a big voice within her.
 
Joanna (to Eleana and Trianna): Now both of you, listen to up! I, as well as everyone else
in this room, is sick and tired of being sick and tired because of your useless bickering. Now, you’re both going to apologize and make-up everything right now and we’re never ever going to hear about these problems again.
 
(Silence; Trianna and Eleana wait for each other to go first).
 
Joann (still loud): Well? Trianna, you start.
 
Trianna: Why should I? She started it!
 
(Points to Eleana).
 
Eleana (placing her hand on her breast, surprised): Me? Me? You’re the one who called
my mother trash!
 
Joann: Shut up! Both of you! You both just refuse to agree with each other! What is up
with that? What do you have against each other?
 
(Silence).
 
Joann: Nothing! Nothing! You have no reason, not even one single logical excuse for
your inexcusable behavior! You’re face to face with each other, no energy left, no defenses left to save you. All you can think of doing is hurling crushing words at each other! We’re tired of it! Now, Trianna, you start.
 
Trianna: But—
 
Joann: I don’t care!
 
(Eleana smirks).
 
Joann (to Eleana): And you’re at fault too, so don’t give her a smirk unless you want to
apologize about that too!
 
Trianna (grudgingly): I’m sorry.
 
Eleana (still loathing): Me too.
 
Joann: If I ever see you both arguing again, we’ll make you do everything together. And I
do mean everything. We’ll make you sit together, eat from the same plate, and even hold hands together. You will do everything we can think of together and we really don’t care how it makes you look to others. So if I were you, I would shut the nasty fighting words in your mouth and swallow them, understand?
 
(Trianna and Eleana nod).
 
Joanna (back to her small voice): Good. Now then, let’s evaluate those battle plans you
were making Elder Patrick.
 
Patrick (handing her the folder of battle plans): We’re so close to it… maybe a few of us
should visit her.
 
Katrina: Visit who? Where are we near?
 
Patrick: We’re near the Raist Crossroads, the place of you mother’s last stand.
 
Katrina: And she has a grave here?
 
Alder: No, not really. The battle field is her grave itself.
 
Eleana (quietly): Alder?
 
Alder (turning to her): Yes?
 
Eleana: I was wondering… you’re my father, aren’t you? You’re the one who loved April
beyond recognition and you kept it a secret all along… you left me with Jocasta Revan, your sister in Stark. Don’t deny it if it’s true, but you’re my father, aren’t you?
 
Alder (after a while of silence): It… is true. I am your father.
 
(Gasping from everyone).
 
Trianna: I’m angry. I want to yell, to curse, to scream at you and I know what will
happen if I argue with Eleana, but I will! Alder! What in the world were you thinking, having a child with April Ryan? You have shamed the rebellion! How many times must I emphasize this point? We cannot defeat Devon if we do not have order within ourselves! And we have done this twice already! Twice! Why do we never learn from our mistakes?
 
Eric: Twice already! Thanks a lot! Thank God there isn’t a third child inside in the
rebellion!
 
(Glances at Katrina suggestively in an irritated manner; no one notices but Katrina, who rolls her eyes at him).
 
Alder (shamefully): I know you are right. But Eleana is my daughter now and we can’t
do anything about it because she is here. I don’t care if you kick me off the Council. From now on, Eleana will come first.
 
Katrina (confused): Wait. So April…?
 
Alder: Twelve years ago, April and I confessed our deepest feelings toward each other.
Eleana is my first offspring. There is no other.
 
Eric: Did April know that Eleana was alive before she died?
 
Alder: Yes. She always knew Eleana would come looking for us. When we gave Eleana
to my sister Jocasta, we told her that when Eleana turned ten, she would be told the true story of her parents and not to come looking for us. April always knew that no matter how much Jocasta would try to stop Eleana from leaving and searching for us, she would. Eleana had inherited her mother’s pride and independence. She would come looking.
 
Eleana: They found out. They killed Jocasta.
 
Alder (quietly): Yes…yes, they did. They, Devon and his Hunters, found out I had been
in contact with Jocasta and murdered her. But Eleana got away.
 
Eleana (to Alder): I saw you once, at a busy crossroad in Tario. I recognized you from a
dream I had once about you. But when I told Jocasta, she told otherwise.
Alder (hugging her): We had specifically told Jocasta not to tell you anything, in fear you would be caught as an illegal Arcadian and the daughter of the rebellion leader, April Ryan. I’m so sorry, Eleana. I wanted to see you so badly. I didn’t want Jocasta to lie to you either.
 
Eric: Well, technically, it’s not called lying, it’s called ‘omitting some facts.’
 
Katrina (laughing): You have a point.
 
Drake: Now! Since we have all family secrets squared away, let’s address the Bobby
situation.
 
Eric (muttering to Katrina): Not all family secrets are fully revealed, are they, Katrina?
 
Drake (to Eric, innocently): What was that?
 
(Spreads maps on the table).
 
 Katrina: Nothing, right, Eric?
 
(Stares at him suggestively).
 
Eric: That’s right, Katrina. Nothing but dangerous secrets that could probably get us
killed. But that’s not a matter to stress over, right?
 
Trianna (sharply): What?
 
Katrina (glaring at him): Nothing. It’s just that Eric is close to an idiot.
 
Eric (sarcastically): Then should I move away from you?
 
(Dramatically moves away from Katrina).
 
Katrina: No, you idiot! I meant you were close to becoming an idiot!
 
Eric (looking offended): That’s a mean thing to say.
 
Katrina (rolling her eyes): Like you care.
 
Joann: Okay… anyway, let’s go back to the Bobby problem.
 
Eleana: What happened to him?
 
Mira: Well, basically, he betrayed us.
 
Eleana: Oh… I thought he was a great guy.
 
Patrick: So did we.
 
Zoë (coldly): Well, you thought wrong. We sent Carl to follow him into the city to Devon.
 
Joann (looking at her watch): Hmm… he’s two hours late. Where could he be?
 
Eric (immediately): Caught.
 
Katrina (to Eric, disapprovingly): You’re such a pessimist.
 
Eric: I’m just trying to help.
 
Drake (suggesting): Lost?
 
Trianna: Dead, perhaps?
 
Katrina (muttering to herself): Now all of you are pessimistic.
 
Carl (entering the room; out of breath): Right here.
 
Joann: Carl! You’re sweating and red in the face! Did you just run?
 
Carl (collapsing onto the sofa): A matter of fact, I just did. All the way from the border.
 
Joann: But that’s miles and miles away from here!
 
Carl (panting): I know.
 
Trianna: What news do you bring?
 
Patrick: Slow down, Trianna… he just ran over five miles non-stop!
 
(Carl looks up to Trianna).
 
Carl: I just wanted you to know…
 
Alder (impatiently): What?
 
Carl: I just wanted you to know that the barrier between Arcadia and Stark has just been
broken. Bobby succeeded. Devon is coming.
 
(Everyone panics, jumping up, looking scared, and screaming).
 
Trianna: We have all our forces cornered here1 How could I have been so stupid? We
have our back to the sea! There is no way out!
 
Eric: Okay, let’s face it… We’re dead.
 
Eleana (wistfully, almost sadly): Goodbye, blue sky…
 
Patrick (finishing in a sad voice): …hello, land of the dead.
 
Katrina (bravely): No! It’s not the end. I’m not going down without a fight.
 
Eric (walking away): Well, good luck with that.
 
Katrina (catching him by his shirt sleeve): You’re not going anywhere. You’re going to
help me.
 
Eric (pulling away): Oh no I’m not! The rebellion is out-numbered. We will lose. Badly.
 
Carl: Katrina, I know how much you want your chance to fight Devon, but this is
madness. Devon has fifty thousand men heading straight for us. And we? What do we have? I’m surprised our swords aren’t even wooden instead of metal!
 
Trianna: There is a dramatic difference and a fine line between being brave and being a
fool. You are a fool to do this.
 
Alder: See, even Trianna admits it! And I agree with her.
 
Katrina: So what do you suppose we should do, then?
 
Drake: We wave our white flag. That way only a few of us will die.
 
Katrina (in surprise): What? You think if we surrender, he will spare us? Excuse me, after
all the things you’ve done to him and his Empire, you think he’ll just waltz in and forgive you? Surrender is not and option here!
 
Patrick (quickly): And neither is dying. I think we should just stop.
 
Katrina (to Eleana): You’ll fight with us, won’t you? In the memory of your mother?
 
(Eleana shakes her head; silence)
 
Katrina (to Zoë and Mira, mournfully): How about you?
 
(Shakes their heads; more silence).
 
Katrina (tears in her eyes): Will anyone?
 
(Silence)
 
Katrina (in tears): Wait… stop… just hear me out on this one. Then you can make your
choice and leave if you need to.
 
(Everyone sighs and looks to her).
 
Katrina: Listen to me… Surrender is not the way to solve your problems. I know that
your hearts are clouded with doubt and your dreams blacked by Devon’s long reign of Evil. You are the proud people of Arcadia… you deserve life and respect. Haven’t you been deprived of those things long enough? If you fight you, will have those back, along with the land you were given long ago.
 
(Raises her chin, takes out her sword, and points it to the sky, slanted).
 
Katrina (bravely): We have to get out of this. We will get out of this. Find the courage
and cross the bridge between two worlds, from the darkest dream to Hope. Let you of your weakened hearts and when lightning strikes, don not forget where you came from. Find the courage to choose. We can win this. It’s a long shot, but isn’t this what you’ve been waiting for? A shot at Devon? It’s literally come to your door. It is better to die trying than to give up. Just trust your heart and feel the forces of change course through your veins and into the handle of your sword. We will come from worlds apart to the path of the brave heart. The reveling of the struggle between light and dark, life and death, heaven and hell is at hand. This is the time. This is your chance.
 
(Lowers her sword).
 
Katrina (tears still in her eyes): So what I’m basically saying is please… have faith.
When there’s nothing left to believe in, please, believe in yourself.
 
(Silence).
 
Katrina: So… what do you say?
 
Eric (pulling out his sword and pointing it diagonally to the sky): I say we fight for our
rights and the struggles our ancestors have gone through and died trying. I am so tired of not being able to walk down the street without someone recognizing me as a vicious criminal.
 
(Katrina smiles).
 
Katrina (yelling): Let’s do this!
 
(Cheers from everyone, scene into darkness).
 
End of Act 3
 
Act 4, Scene 1
 
(Setting: A grassy meadow; Katrina and Eric are together on the left in battle uniform).
 
Katrina (looking to the left): They’re so close.
 
Eric (turning to her): Yep. We’re going to die.
 
Katrina: Have faith…
 
Eric (turning to her): You know, that’s exactly what I man I knew used to say. But then
he betrayed us and got us into this mess.
 
Katrina: You know what I mean.
 
Eric: I know. But what I don’t get is why we’re agreeing to help you. This is madness.
 
Katrina: It’s not. I promised myself three things I would do before I died.
 
Eric: What were they? Is one of them to die before you finish the other two?
 
Katrina (rolling her eyes): Lay off the sarcasm, okay? The first was to kiss Devon. The
second was to find Zoë Castillo. And the third was to find my father.
 
Eric: Impossible. All three as physically impossible.
 
Katrina: Physically impossible, yes. But with your whole heart, mind, and soul, it is
never. The heart is stronger than you think.
 
(Trianna enter in battle uniform).
 
Trianna: Everything is in place, Commander Rowlings.
 
Katrina: Thank you, General Zenger. Assemble the troops for a straight front attack.
 
Trianna: As you wish, Commander.
 
(Trianna walks back)
 
Eric (smirking): Commander Rowlings? What is this now, a chess game? Since when are
you of higher authority than Trianna?
 
Katrina: Ever since they found out I had the highest reward money on my wanted poster
than anyone else.
 
Eric: How much money do I have in my head?
 
Katrina: Ten dollars.
 
Eric: Ten? Only ten?
 
Katrina: Well you have one more dollar than the kitchen boy. I think you should trade
places. He’s would be a good idiot.
 
Eric: Seriously?
 
Katrina: Nah. You’re the best idiot I’m ever met.
 
Eric: Awesome!
 
(Everyone comes to Katrina)
 
Alder: They’re coming. The storm is coming.
 
Drake: Have faith… just remember that.
 
(Devon and his army enter from the left)
 
Devon: Who here is Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings?
 
Katrina (stepping forward): I am. Who are you, the kitchen boy?
 
Devon (stiffly). I am the royal emperor. Devon of the Northern Lands and the grand
empire of Stark.
 
Katrina (turning to Alder): This is Devon?
 
Alder: Yep.
 
Katrina (looking to Devon): You? A young boy?
 
Devon: Just as young as you. Who are you?
 
(Points to Eric)
 
Eric: Me? You’re recognizing me? I’m deeply flattered. I’m the rebellion moron, as
Katrina puts it.
 
Katrina (correcting): Idiot. You’re the rebellion idiot.
 
Eric (looking happy; raising his arms in the air): I got promoted!
 
Katrina (rolling her eyes): Ignore him.
 
Devon (to Katrina): It’s over, Rowlings. I have everything you need on my side. Perhaps
you could make the exchange of sides…
 
(Smiles slyly).
 
Katrina (arms folded): No way. You’re going down, even if you have everything to
defeat us.
 
Dimoviti (stepping forward next to Devon): Except me.
 
(Switches sides and stands next to Katrina and Eric).
 
Eric (extending his hand for him to shake it): Howdy! Maybe you could start by helping us form a retreat plan?
 
Dimoviti (to Katrina; ignoring Eric’s outstretched hand): Hey.
 
Katrina (remarking): You kept your promise.
 
Dimoviti: Yes… I always keep my promises.
 
Devon (sneering at him): Except the one you made to me.
 
Dimoviti: It was never a promise.
 
Devon: You lied.
 
Katrina: Well, technically, it’s not called lying, it’s called ‘omitting some facts.’
 
Eric (to Katrina): Hey! You took my line!
 
Devon (taking out his sword): Enough of the nonsense. Charge!
 
Katrina (to Eric, shrugging): I guess that’s what we should do too. Charge!
 
(Points sword and runs to Devon, everyone follows; focuses on Katrina and Devon,
locked in personal combat separately. while others are fighting together).
 
Devon: You’re so young… I remember your mother. She was braver that you.
 
Katrina: Even the lowest kitchen boy is braver than you. He would have the courage to
die as a boy with a heart of a man.
 
Devon: Come now, brave heart, foolish one. If you can, catch me before my sword
catches you. Now die!
 
(Runs to Katrina. Zoë pushes her out of the way)
 
Katrina: It’s over, Devon. You’ve been in the house too long.
 
(Stabs Devon in the stomach; Devon crumples and dies).
 
General Kiobi (of the Hunters): Retreat! Get behind the border line!
 
Trianna: Push forward! In the name of April Ryan, move!
 
(Drives the Hunters away).
 
Carl (loudly): This is it! We have won! We have found a true path using our unmatched
skill and brave hearts! We are out of the darkness and this day is the day of the return of Arcadia!
 
(Cheers and yells; scene into darkness)
 
Act 4, Scene 2
 
(Setting: A room with books: April’s old room).
 
(Katrina is on a couch, reading a book; Zoë enter the room).
 
Zoë (taking a seat next to her): why aren’t you outside with the others? They’re having a
big party.
 
Katrina: I don’t want to come, Not just yet.
 
Zoë: Why? What are you reading?
 
Katrina (showing her the book): It’s a family album of my family. April gave it to me just
before she died.
 
(Flips the pages)
 
Katrina: I never knew my father. Did you ever know him?
 
Zoë: Not personally. I was closer to your mother.
 
Katrina (angrily): It never makes sense. He’s alive. I know it. Everyone can fell him.
 
He’s here, alive, in the air. He’s here.
 
Zoë: I feel it too…
 
Katrina: You saved me out there, when Devon was about to kill me.
 
Zoë: You froze. What was going on in your mind at that time?
 
Katrina: It’s… contradicting the words I said before the battle. I felt lost and out of hope,
to sum it all up.
 
Zoë: You must not fail in times of trouble. Keep holding on.
 
Katrina: I cannot thank you enough for helping me.
 
Zoë. I helped out because…of a debt I had to your mother.
 
Katrina: Hmm?
 
Zoë: Your mother had saved me once, in another battle. I owed my life to her. Now that
she has moved on, that piece of debt I had to her passed on to you.
 
Katrina: She saved you?
 
Zoë: Yes. Many times. You see, I was you’re mother’s best friend.
 
Katrina (in shock): You’re Zoë Castillo!
 
Zoë (smiling): Yes. But you have to listen to me. I never killed your mother. I never
betrayed the rebellion. I was here, all along.
 
Katrina: I have your daughter! Here! Dimoviti: gave her too me to take care of.
 
Zoë: Yes… Maria, wasn’t it? I left her with him. I was so ashamed of being a council
member and having a baby that I left her with Dimoviti. I regret doing that, but I was so afraid and so shamed that I left and covered my mistake by joining Mira.
 
Katrina; Dimoviti misses you.
 
Zoë: Yes, I know. I saw him outside, holding Maria. I didn’t want to show myself until
me talked to you about…do you think he will be angry at me?
 
Katrina (shakes her head) No. I promise he won’t. He just misses you. He wants to see
you again.
 
Zoë (tears in her eyes): It’s been a long two years. I have to see them again. I must, for
the future of Maria and of my relationship with Dimoviti.
 
(Rises and walks to the door)
 
Zoë: Thank you, Katrina. I hope you too, shall find the father you’ve been looking for.
 
(Exits, closes door. Katrina flips through her book and after a few moments, Patrick enters).
 
Patrick: Hello, Katrina, Why aren’t you outside with everyone?
 
Katrina: I don’t’ know. I’m feeling indifferent.
 
Patrick (handing her a piece of cake). I bought cake for you.
 
Katrina (taking it). Thank you.
 
Patrick: I see you’re reading the family album April gave you.
 
Katrina: I’m just scanning them freely… seeing if I can put the pieces together of who
my father was.
 
Patrick: Your father was a wanderer, a wayfaring man. But he was a strong and naturally
brave leader. I met him, once, as you know, and he was the only person I ever trusted. After he died, he told me to take you in.
 
Katrina (sighing): Sometimes I feel angry at him for leaving me.
 
Patrick: He is alive, you know.
 
Katrina: I know. I feel his presence. Sometimes it’s only an undefined whisper and other
times it is a burst of energy.
 
(Silence)
 
Patrick (quietly): Will you go looking for him?
 
Katrina (softly): No…
 
Patrick: Why? Explain your reasoning.
 
Katrina: I’m not mad at him, but I’m not giving up. But I believe I should wait until he
comes to me. My father has his reasons for being anonymous. Perhaps he fears the embarrassment for his cowardice to run away from fifteen years ago. Or maybe he’s afraid, since he saw Trianna talk his disappointment out on Alder when she found out he was the father of Eleana. I want to meet my father very badly, but if he wishes to keep himself unknown, I shall respect his wishes and let him find me when he’s ready. Patrick: Katrina, you’ve been waiting for so long and so has he. He’s ready to meet you.
 
Katrina: Wait… he’s alive?
 
Patrick (nodding): Just like you said.
 
Katrina: Where is he?
 
Patrick (taking off his glasses): He’s right here.
 
Katrina (squinting): Dad?
 
Patrick: It’s me. Dad, Father, James, Patrick... Whatever you want to call me.
 
Katrina (in tears): How can this be?
 
Patrick/James: I never wanted to leave you, Katrina. I just wanted a new life, one without
the memories of shame and regret. That’s why I left and faked my death. But I never wanted to leave you. I always loved you.
 
Katrina: Is it really you?
 
Patrick/James (smiling tiredly): No one other. I knew that one day I would have to
square-off my past by presenting myself to you. Truly, the truth can hurt, but lies are worse. When you stood up to the rebellion and asked them to believe… you sounded just like your mother, brave, strong, and most of all, full of hope. Something I could never have.
 
Katrina: I’m not mad. I’m just… I’m just glad. I haven’t felt this good in years. I
remember your voice, long ago. It gave me hope. I knew you were alive.
 
Patrick/James: I missed you.
 
Katrina: I love you so much. I’m glad we found each other.
 
Patrick/James: I’ll never leave you again.
 
(They hug each other and scene fades into darkness).
 
Act 4, Scene 3:
 
(Setting: A garden with trees, plants, and a white bench. A view of a cliff and the Silver Sea can been seen in the sunset; Katrina and Eric as sitting next to each other looking out to the sunset).
 
Eric (counting with his fingers): So you willed Devon, found Zoë Castillo, and finally
found your father. Quite an accomplishment.
 
Katrina: Actually, my father found me.
 
Eric: You should’ve come to the party. It was a total blast. And Maria spoke her first
word—Freedom.
 
Katrina: That’s so cute. Did you get to dance with Eleana?
 
Eric: Nah. She was too busy talking with the kitchen boy.
 
Katrina: And now you’re all heartbroken. How sad.
 
Eric: Actually, I was waiting for another girl.
 
Katrina: Trianna’s too old for you to dance with, even though you both would look good together.
 
Eric: Shut up! I was going to dance with you.
 
Katrina: That’s sweet. Thank you. I’m sorry I didn’t go out to see you.
 
Eric: You know, this didn’t turn out as bad as I thought it would be.
 
Katrina: Yeah, in the end, I pictured you setting off a cherry bomb in the kitchen.
 
Eric: Does setting off the fire alarm when I set a patch of onions on fire for a magic trick
count?
 
Katrina (laughing): Yeah, that works. It was an accident, right?
 
Eric: Yep. It was.
 
Katrina: It’s always an accident with you, isn’t it?
 
Eric: That’s right. I’m accident, that was an accident, and you’re an accident too.
 
(Eric pushes her around playfully; they laugh).
 
Katrina: It’s been a good life. I’m glad it’s all over.
 
Eric: I don’t think it’s over yet. I still haven’t finished my goal.
 
Katrina (sounding interested): And what may that be?
 
Eric: To spend the rest of the evening with my favorite girl.
 
Katrina: You know, Eleana would also look good with you, if she was only taller.
 
Eric (seriously): I meant you.
 
Katrina (surprised): Me? Me? I’m nobody. Go get someone with a normal life.
 
Eric: You have a normal life… the definition of ‘normal’ is a point of view.
 
Katrina: Well then, what do you suppose ‘normal’ means?
 
Eric: Normal is your life. Normal is how you live your life. Normal is how you are just
the way you are. Normal is what you do everyday, such as spending time calling me an idiot and make me explain obvious stuff in life to you.
 
Katrina: You’re still an idiot. My idiot. But I love you for being one, especially mine.
 
(Learns against Eric, looking out to the sunset and ocean; Eric strokes her hair; ending music starts to play).
 
Katrina: You’re not that bad, Eric. I’m glad I met you. I really am.
 
(Music grows louder and scene into darkness).
 
Katrina (voice overhead): So there it is. That was my story, the dream that came true. I
guess I just wished upon a star and it became a reality. Now that it’s all over, now that everything’s done, I look back at it and say, ‘Hey, it’s been a good life.’ And it has. Truly. I would have never found what I always wanted—a life full of adventure and freedom. I lost a lot, but at the same time, I gained so much more. Memories… friends… times… and when there’s nothing left to believe in, to believe in yourself. It works, really. But my life is my life now. And I love it that way it is. This is not the end of my story. There will never be an end of my story, I hope. This story will be told to everyone, to many generations long after I pass into Elsewhere, many as the stars in the sky, that once upon a time, where there were such things as happy endings, a girl named Katrina Rachel Marie Rowlings believed in herself when there was nothing for her left to believe in.
 
(Music grows even louder, curtains close, and lights open).
 
End of Act 4
 
(Actors and actresses go out for recognition).

© 2009 Meh


Author's Note

Meh
It's a bit shallow and the dialouge is dry, but I hope you don't mind. Remember, it's my attempt at writing a play, and I'm just a youngling, so I need all response I can get back.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did a great job with this work. You show great skill. Keep the pen moving. There is talent here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was a very great play and I enjoyed the way you did the opening. Keep writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2009