They Destroyed It

They Destroyed It

A Story by Russell Little
"

A recent blog on my first reading at my writer's group with my previous novel.

"


After writing and rewriting the first chapter of my book over most of my adult life, I decided to join a writers’ group. The worst and best decision I could have made.

I finished my book at the insistence of my youngest son, after all my children were grown. Several months after I joined the critique group I presented my work. They destroyed it.

I was so mad I did not go back for six months and only then because one of the group’s organizers reached out to me. I’ll always be grateful to her.

With a calmer head I realized I was angry the group was right. I went to work on the sequel. And this time as I fought through their help I got closer and closer.

We had one Phyllis. Every group must have one Phyllis. She would go through each chapter word by word. Sentence by sentence. She made me mad every time, but she was right and I learned to listen.

She still makes me mad, and I listen. If you’re a first time novelist you need to find a really good, smart and small writers’ group, and you need a Phyllis. But just one.

© 2015 Russell Little


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Russell, "Thank you" for those words. Am facing the same thing now. I think I have found my Phyllis, although I won't call him that. You think you got 'good stuff', and they shred it!
Take a breath, learn, and fix it.
I think Tom Clancy once said that writing is a brutal occupation. Hmmm.

I was born and raised in Houston. Left it more than ten years ago for the quiet country life.
Hope all is well there.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 20, 2015
Last Updated on July 20, 2015
Tags: Writer's group, editing

Author

Russell Little
Russell Little

Houston, TX



About
My first novel Murder For Me out soon. Blog @ RussellLittleAuthor.com. Twitter @RussellsStories. Facebook page @ Russell's Stories. I write about stories I've seen & been involved in for 50 years .. more..

Writing