Our Best Friend, Tyler

Our Best Friend, Tyler

A Story by Blackhart
"

All things are possible with Tyler's guidance.

"
I had always been an intensely intellectual and curious person, for better or worse. I could never seem to negotiate my yearning to understand reality with the more mundane aspects of life. The dissonance this caused in my psyche brought me to precipice of doubting my sanity on more than one occasion.

Then I met Tyler and things changed.

He had a large farmhouse far away from the rest of civilization, which was populated with other lost souls seeking refuge from their own unique psychoses. While we didn't live without the comforts of modern times, there was still a communal atmosphere to the place. We were family. A family removed from the world in which we never seemed to fit.

The family consisted of a bunch of heady types. We'd regularly ingest various psychedelics and ponder deep existential and moral questions together. We would lay in the fields around the house at night and contemplate the universe and our place in it. Often, Tyler would use these times of expanded conscious to expound on truths he had discerned through his years of study. And in our state of mind, everything he said made perfect sense, even if it would have sounded insane to our sober minds. Though, even in sobriety, he still made sense.

But that was the thing about Tyler, he just had this natural wisdom beyond his years, and he's just so charismatic. Everyone hangs on his every word. Even when I had my doubts, even when my own thoughts on the nature of life seemed at odds with his, he could always express his truth so eloquently. It was like his voice alone could put me in a trance and any faith I had of my own thoughts simply crumbled away leaving me to wonder how I had never seen the truth. It's like he's from another world; a realm that has given him a near omniscient perspective regarding our lives on this earth.

While he never demanded the role, the family naturally turned to him as our leader. Everyone looked to him for answers, and he was always able to give perfect explanations no matter the subject. His logic was infallible.

Before long, we just didn't question him anymore, because we knew he was always right. We just listened to anything and everything he said with finality. Even when we were rigging explosives throughout the local elementary school, we knew that this was the right thing to do, the moral thing to do. Tyler's logic was flawless. We were freeing these people from their future servitude under the corrupted institutions of government and corporate influence that so many others, for so many generations, had been victims of. All of those kids were saved by the family, if only through the grace of Tyler.

© 2017 Blackhart


Author's Note

Blackhart
I don't know that the subtlety of the story I was trying to tell was grasped by other people that I've asked to read this story. Maybe I'm wrong and I need to be a little more direct in some regards.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on May 11, 2017
Last Updated on May 11, 2017
Tags: Short story, allegory, horror, scary, fiction, cult, psychology

Author

Blackhart
Blackhart

About
An artist in numerous mediums. more..

Writing
Legacy Legacy

A Story by Blackhart