A TRAGEDY GONE WRONG

A TRAGEDY GONE WRONG

A Story by Ryan Miller
"

I wrote this in two hours late one night when i couldn't sleep.

"

The young man blinked lazily as he stepped from the darkness of his small home and faced the brightly burning sun.  After his eyes adjusted, he surveyed his now familiar surroundings, waist high grass stretched as far as the eye could see, blowing in the ever constant wind.  In this ocean of green there stood but a single tree, a massive pillar breaking the endless sea.  It was massive, the trunk of the tree twice as thick as the youg man himself, It's branches stretching many meters in every direction.  He let ou a resigned sigh, and began his daily walk to the tree; It was his favorite place to spend his days. 

 

When he reached the tree, he plopped down beside its massive trunk, resting on one of the roots sticking out of the ground, and stared into it's many twisted branches pondering how to entertain himself on this particular day.  He whistled softly to himself slowly nodding of to sleep beneath the Great Tree.

 

He awoke slowly, his eyes heavy with sleep. A quick look at the sky showed the sun in the same position it was when he first drifted of to sleep. He shook his head, suprised he hadn't slept longer, and let his eyes wonder back to the branches of the tree, his hair softly wipping in the wind occaisionaly obscuring his vision.  His thoughts were broken by a sound more beauitful than any he had heard before, a soft laugh that floated through the ears like soft bells jingling on a cool winter morning. He looked to the place where the beautiful sound had originated from and saw something thats beauty surpassed anything he had seen previous to that.  Some twenty yards away he saw a women standing before him, her white dress and long brown hair flowing gently in the wind. Her head turned at an angle looking to the sky, Her hair hiding her face from his eyes.  Imeasurble moments passed while he watched her, taken back by her beauty.

 

She was seemingly oblivious to his prescence, until finally she dropped her gaze and noticed him.  The young man's heart skipped as he saw her face for the first time.  A slight smile painted her perfect lips, her face seemingly glowing with beauty.  The young man's eyes met hers, and for a momment his crystal blue eyes were lost in the depths of her sparkling brown eyes.  A final smile painted her face as she turned to walk away, beckoning with a finger for him to follow.  He got up quicvkly and began following her, ignoring his urge to run after her and trying to look casual but failing miserably.  She waded gracefully through the sea of grass, her dress gently flowing behind her.  The young man followed her, his eyes fixed firmly on her , not looking away for a momment for fear of losing her.  So he continued along, bewitched by her extreme beauty.

 

It occured to him, after a while, that he had been following  her for quite some time.  With much regret, he wrenched his eyes from her looking back the way he had come from.  He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw nothing.  No tree. No hous.  Only endless green rippling blades of grass.  Panic gripping his chest, he turned back around to face the women.  She was no where to be seen. The young man swung around looking in a circle for anything.  There was nothing.  Panic turned to fear and he began sprinting in the direction he believed his home to be.  After running for several seconds he lost his balance and tumbled head over heels through the deep grass, ending up on his back, facing into the blue sky.  After regaining his breath he rolled onto his stomach and stood to his feet.  His eyes met with hers. A mere foot away.  They stood there, eyes locked together oblivious to the passing of time, for as long as they were together, time and place mattered not.  He reached his hand up and caressed her face gently, her skin soft below his hand.  A smile played across her lips as she eyed him expectantly. He returned the smile and leaned forward to kiss her.  He marveled at her beauty, the perfection of her features.  He could feel her breath warm on his lips, only inches away.

 

He woke with a start as a peal of thunder broke the cool night air.  Looking around frantically for his love, he found only the tree looming behind him and a great orange light illuminating the night like a midnight sun. The light was his home.  He got up and was sprinting towards his house in a matter of momments, by the time he reached it the flames had engulfed the whole house.  He could only stand by and watch as all he knew burned away.  Hours later the rain began to fall. Great torrents that extinquished the flames, leaving a burnt pile of rubble and ashes where his home used to stand.

 

He walked to the middle of his now gone home and dropped to his knees, the tears falling from his eyes lost in the downpour.  There he stayed for a long time, until the rain subsided, onlya  gentle drizzle falling now. Wiping the tears from his face, and mourning all he had lost, he stood and turned to walk away.

 

There she was, standing just beyond the edge of the ashes.  Her eyes without there eariler sparkle, sad now after seeing him cry. Caring not whether she was real or something in his mind, he rushed to her side, embraced her, softly ran a hand through her hair and kissed her.  There they stood tegether as the rain fell, the thunder boomed and the lightning flashed.  Content with were they were they stayed, for time and place mattered not as long as they were together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2011 Ryan Miller


Author's Note

Ryan Miller
Ignore grammar and spelling problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting indeed. Definitely add some more story, I want to know more about the characters. Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was interesting. Im not sure exactly what you were trying to accomplish with it but I thought you did a great job evoking emotions in the reader just like the young man was going through. Keep writing:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 22, 2011
Last Updated on December 22, 2011

Author

Ryan Miller
Ryan Miller

Healdton, OK



About
I am a sinner redeemed by Jesus Christ. Though i still mess up. I love my friends and family. Healdton Highschool. 16. Music is my drug. I love metal/rock and roll. I love writing. Sarcasm is .. more..

Writing
Revolt! Revolt!

A Poem by Ryan Miller


Music Music

A Poem by Ryan Miller